Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default where to start

Hey guys. Im looking to put together a cobra kit over the next few years. Dad and I had a deal. He supplies the motor tranny, and rear end, and I got the rest. He built what i understand to be a punched out 351 to 360 balanced and blueprinted with afr heads. 500+hp he thinks. Dunno never fired or dynoed. He got a borg warner 4 speed from the sho mustang i believe, and obviously the ford 9" rear. Unfortunately he died in july and before we decided on which kit to go after, what options, and how much we would do at a time $$$. I have read that street beast kits are crap, and the others basically vary in price without much difference. I did see this one in california called pacific roadsters that looked promising. But being the gear head i am, and thrifty i would like to know if i can buy a shell and basically shop around for a chassis, frame and the rest at swaps or just someone who got in over their head and no has to sell in order to save as much as i can and have a bad a$$ snake.

Last edited by jamfu; 09-24-2011 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: what the heck. no responses. valid question?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamfu View Post
I have read that street beast kits are crap, and the others basically vary in price without much difference. .
The first half of that statement is mostly true. The biggest problem with the StreetBeasts is the company takes your money, and only sends you half the parts. Many people have been stuck with kits they can't finish because they can't get the parts they paid for.

The second half of that statement is definatly not true. There's about half a dozen or so really good kits on the market. And they're all really differant in design, execution, and price. They all look like Cobra's, but they're all differant.

Before looking at specific kits, make a good evaluation of exactly what you're looking for. Street cruiser vs. week end racer. Exact replica of an original slab side vs. a modern interpretation of the 427SC.

Also decide how much work you can/want to do. From the ground up, an FFR or Backdraft is a good choice. From a roller SPF and Unique are good choices. Do your home work.

Once you've made those decisions, then you can look at specific companies than can supply what you want.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 09-24-2011, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would want a street cruiser I could take to an autocross. Of course they all probably could. I love the big block thump , and low end garble, but there is nothing like the small block rev. Short stroke high compression with racing fuel. Oh man Church to me. And the smell . I shouldnt have to say more. Anyway, I have most of the stuff that would be required for a rotisserie restoration, just not the space. My painting experience is that have some one else do it. But fabrication work game over. Wiring might get a little hairy, but I can figure stuff out. Maybe I should build 2.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Go on the factory 5 forum and look for a guy that bought the kit and has to sell it. You can get the basic kit or the whole deal for a bargain price then, all you have tondo is assemble and paint
Old 09-24-2011, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"Before looking at specific kits, make a good evaluation of exactly what you're looking for. Street cruiser vs. week end racer. Exact replica of an original slab side vs. a modern interpretation of the 427SC."

I dont really want a slab side repro. They are both bad ass looking. I like the mean looking cowl hood though
Old 09-24-2011, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Since you already have the small block engine, take a look at Unique and ERA for the 289 FIA/USRRC cars. They have the look you're after and are correct for the small block motor. Both are awesome cars.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 09-25-2011, 05:09 AM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

It wouldn't hurt to give Dana a call at Shell Valley. He might have something available.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

You need to look at more than just the manufactures base price. You need to look at what you get for the price.

Little things like windshield frames, tail lights, steering wheel, seats, gas caps, pedals, brakes, side vents, etc are all different. Some are cheap and you may decide later (at a price) to change them. Take you time and learn about a Cobra. If your on a budget you need to know what your buy up front.
I build my Cobra 11 years ago. I had a budget of $20,000 and two years later I spend over $35,000 and every winter I spend more.
I have known guys that buy a bargain roller and spend $10,000 more than they planned.

It has been said several times, "what are you looking for? Street cruiser vs. week end racer".
One, you spend money on racing parts, roller bar, brakes, the other on, carpet, wind wings, tilt steering wheel, heater / defroster, etc. Cost a lot of money to convert a street car to a race track car. And a race motor does not drive well on the street.

If you buy a used car you can borrow the money, make payments and drive it. Make small change during the week and major changes during the winter. Most kits would be pay as you go.

There are thousands of well priced Cobras in the used market. I would suggest you look at them. You can learn a lot about Cobras (Cobra parts) as you look at the used Cobras market. Read the ads closely and note what the seller points out as the best reason for buying his car.

Find your local Cobra guys and talk to them. Go for a ride. Learn the differences in a cheap part and the better part. Maybe you can live with either. The reason I mention this is because I have had guys to bring me their Cobras and want me to install wind wings and visors on cheap aluminum frame that have no provision for attaching them.

There are four or five of our Cobra guys who would sell their cars. One would remove his motor trannie and sell the roller. If your interested PM me.

Dwight
Florence, Ala

P.S. mine is not for sale till I can not drive it anymore. Then I may just keep it in the garage and get someone to crank it for me so I can listen to it. If I can I will always own a Cobra.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think I will go with the street 427 interpretation. I do like the 289FIA , but One day I may decide to build a 427. They are just sexier. Shell valley does seem to have a good looking package. How is the quality of their components? I am having trouble finding the guy with the ffr kit for sale. But I'll ask around some more.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

jamfu- you have a pm.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have read that street beast kits are crap, and the others basically vary in price without much difference. I did see this one in california called pacific roadsters that looked promising. But being the gear head i am, and thrifty i would like to know if i can buy a shell and basically shop around for a chassis, frame and the rest at swaps or just someone who got in over their head and no has to sell in order to save as much as i can and have a bad a$$ snake.
Were you attracted to the Street Beasts b/c you could buy the "kit" in parts as you got ready for the $$ outlay, rather than having to buy it all at once?

If so, check out Shell Valley, I think they might work with you that way (and their kit uses a Ford 9" rear end....you could ship yours to them and they would shorten it and fit it to their chassis, might save you some $$).

Cheers, Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I do like the 289FIA , but One day I may decide to build a 427. They are just sexier.
You'll have to agree that sexy is in the eye of the beholder.

Study and understand the differences, look at the histories, then decide. Build a small block 427 body style car and be just another face in the crowd. Build the 289 bodied car and you are just about guaranteed to be the only one at any shows/meets you'll ever attend. Stand out in the crowd!

What ever you decide, best of luck to you!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 09-26-2011, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Where to start.....

1. Go to local Cobra events and look at cars and talk to owners. Take lots of pictures;

2. Decide on what is important to you, i.e. originality versus contemporary;

3. Decide how much work you want to undertake (some manufacturers sell cheaper kits, but you wind up spending just as much or more on surprises (like chasing bit parts and the # of hours to finish the body)

4. Narrow down the finalists, talk to the manufacturers at length (remembering that they are CAR salesman) and if possible, go visit your final choice before buying. Don't rule out buying used or partially finished kits. LOTS of good deals to be had there if you know what you are looking for;

5. Add at least $5k to your highest estimate;

6. Keep lots of cold, tasty beverages on hand.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Its quite an undertaking, and so much information to go through. But I can say I will definitely have to do this in stages. But I would not want to sacrifice quality.