Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 02:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2006 SHELBY GT-H
Not Ranked     
Default Benzito

having much fun with the new car? I am already starting to contemplate a supercharger for #270 (GT-H)
Old 12-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzito View Post
It wasn't my intention to insult anybody, but I am so glad that you make a newer member feel so welcome. Kind of like what those others were describing to me in the first place. By the way, it's only hearsay if it is intended to prove the matter asserted. It seems like some folks will do it themselves.

Its not about whether you are welcome here or not, If you read your post over again, it just seemed a bit strange that a brand new member would start right out making statements telling CC members to "remember to put it all in perspective", "SAAC's opinions...", "who shelby caters to", "what the old man was saying...", "..a few bad apples". You get the point. I see you were excused above, and i'll shut up. Welcome to ClubCobra. Enjoy your cobra and have fun.

Last edited by decooney; 12-11-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Old 12-11-2011, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 1967 / Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground zero View Post
having much fun with the new car? I am already starting to contemplate a supercharger for #270 (GT-H)
I don't know if you still have the option for a Paxton, but the Kenny Bell isn't too shabby either! There is at least one other GT-H that has been supercharged and the owner posts frequently the other site. I think you bump up the HP by around 100 to 125 and still you have some room to play around.

My neighbors cringe every time I start up the Cobra (except the one guy with the Harley and Stingray Vette), but they only to deal with it about half the year.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Its not about whether you are welcome here or not, If you read your post over again, it just seemed a bit strange that a brand new member would start right out making statements telling CC members to "remember to put it all in perspective", "SAAC's opinions...", "who shelby caters to", "what the old man was saying...", "..a few bad apples". You get the point. I see you were excused above, and i'll shut up. Welcome to ClubCobra. Enjoy your cobra and have fun.
Oh, I got the point when Ron first called it out. Anyway, someone above asked about the Vegas event and its place among the other Cobra-related events, so I think my comments were appropriate in answer to his direct inquiry. Not looking to salt old wounds, of course.

There look to be at least five or six 2012 commemorations around the country and I'd hope anyone interested in Cobras and Shelbys of any vintage, authenticity, and condition are welcome. That's why we are all here in the first place.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
There look to be at least five or six 2012 commemorations around the country ..
Happily, there will probably a whole lot more if you include regional and specialty events.

We'll be keeping a master calendar and will post info as it comes in. A preliminary list will be in the next "Shelby American."

Gonna be a fun year.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

NFN but us guys on the East coast know which event is going to be the "Big One" for us.
Combining SAAC 37 with the SVRA vintage races on the same weekend was a brilliant idea as General Kopec explained on the SAAC Forum.

More info,SAAC-37
Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The Team Shelby site definitely caters towards the late model crowd, but remember to put it all in perspective:

1. When CS and Ford decided to renew the Shelby line, there already was SAAC focusing on the first (and only) generation of "real" Shelby cars built to date. The new club balances that out, to a degree, although I don't know if Cobra owners or even replica Cobra owners are looked down upon.

2. It wasn't that long ago that CS and SAAC had major differences of opinion about a variety of issues and I think Team Shelby was the old man's way of saying, "See, you can enjoy these cars without joining SAAC and being under their influence instead of mine."

3. As noted in this thread, there are going to be a bunch of events surrounding Shelby American and the Cobra model. This is one that is directly sponsored by Shelby American, though, if that means something to you. A pretty good chance to meet Carroll Shelby himself in Las Vegas compared to some of the other places. I think the Las Vegas event is probably the only way that is more welcoming(?) towards the newer owners.

As an aside, since I posted and followed over on Team Shelby for a few years when I had my 2006 Shelby GT-H, I get the impression that certain folks in the SAAC crowd weren't as inviting of this new breed of Shelby car. I could be wrong and I am not trying to disparage SAAC as a group. There are always a few bad apples, of course.

Mike
The Pomona Event , sponsored by the NHRA Museum is welcoming ALL Ford Powered vehicles and will have a lot of the late model mustangs there as we are running a 3 day track event. As having spoken to Carroll Shelby personally, he told me he will certainly be there provided his health allows it. The main focus is the celebration of the Cobra and to honor it's development and success by opening an exhibit at the Museum. Many original Cobra's and drivers will be there and both SAAC AND The Pacific division of Team Shelby are helping to put this event on .
Old 12-16-2011, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X #99 View Post
NFN but us guys on the East coast know which event is going to be the "Big One" for us.
Combining SAAC 37 with the SVRA vintage races on the same weekend was a brilliant idea as General Kopec explained on the SAAC Forum.

More info,SAAC-37
Of course he did! Why have your own event and double up with another group? MONEY!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slither View Post
Of course he did! Why have your own event and double up with another group? MONEY!
You're almost correct... it's cost, not money. (out, not in)

The cost involved in having an event at a major historic venue has become prohibitive for singular events.

Look at some of the costs per attendee at other 2012 events.

SAAC has always tried to minimize the attendees' costs at any convention.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post

The cost involved in having an event at a major historic venue has become prohibitive for singular events.

I agree!
Old 12-16-2011, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post

Nobody should be complaining (if they are) about a chance to cruise around Watkins Glen. When a club can make that happen, good for everyone! They announced the Shelby American 50th Anniversary Tour is also going to be at the Glen for the event, which will make it essentially a triple-header.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Grand Marshall Parnelli Jones

Latest, and greatest! Just out!

Grand Marshall is Parnelli Jones!

Parnelli's Riverside winning Grand Prix King Cobra will be one of TWO King Cobra's present.

Parnelli's winning King Cobra is owned by Donn Vickory and Parnelli has agreed to drive this beautifully restored King Cobra around the original Pomona Road Course for some exhibition laps.

Talk about a great opportunity to be present and take that memorial photograph, Parnelli Jones, King Cobra, Pomona Road Course=PRICELESS!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylasaac View Post
Latest, and greatest! Just out!

Grand Marshall is Parnelli Jones!

Parnelli's Riverside winning Grand Prix King Cobra will be one of TWO King Cobra's present.

Parnelli's winning King Cobra is owned by Donn Vickory and Parnelli has agreed to drive this beautifully restored King Cobra around the original Pomona Road Course for some exhibition laps.

Talk about a great opportunity to be present and take that memorial photograph, Parnelli Jones, King Cobra, Pomona Road Course=PRICELESS!
So...Parnelli Jones will be the Grand Marshall at the 50th Anniversary Celebration at Pomona and will not be at the Shelby Bash in Las Vegas or at Watkins Glen for the SAAC event, right?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I really do not know Parnelli's 2012 schedule, however he has not been to any of the previous Shelby Bash's.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slither View Post
So...Parnelli Jones will be the Grand Marshall at the 50th Anniversary Celebration at Pomona and will not be at the Shelby Bash in Las Vegas or at Watkins Glen for the SAAC event, right?
Parnelli Jones, Bob Bondurant, Phil Remington, John Morton, Carroll Shelby,
Don Prudhomme. That will be a great autograph session.