28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Glad Pete's OK. On the plus side that camera and its mount are awsome! Thanks for posting that, it's the best in-car footage that I've ever seen from something like that. Makes me want to go out and check my car.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatdevil View Post
Scary indeed. Anyone who doesn't have a 5 point should watch this.
Anybody who pushes their car a little bit should watch this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
Thank you for sharing that, as it provides a very good perspective of what can happen when something goes wrong.

Two observations.

In an open cockpit car like this, the driver should wear arm restraints. Second is the amount of movement even with the 5 point harness. Most people do not realize just how much you can still move with the harness in place and tight.

Once again, thank god it was not worse.
I think this is excellent advice, as do several other people. during the video, you can see a couple of times where your right arm is over your head. Couldn't see the left arm. I wear them, and I have an extra set for anyone that might ride with me. That means all your hand signals are between the seats, so I let other drivers know that at the morning driver's meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatdevil View Post
Full height race seats would of kept the driver in place a lot better. Anyone install arm restraints in their car? What do you anchor them to?
I also use an Isaac head and neck restraint. If - god forbid - I'm in an accident, it will hopefully protect my neck.

But, it really takes a lot of strain off my neck over the course of a week end. Before I bought one, I could always count on a migrain by late Sunday afternoon, and a couple more during the following week. Now, I rarely get a migrain from a track week end. Well worth the money.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 01-10-2012, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

WOW!!!! That was amazing footage!! One of the main reasons I have not (and will not ) track my car. So glad the driver was OK.
What make of car was it?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by emberglo66 View Post
WOW!!!! That was amazing footage!! One of the main reasons I have not (and will not ) track my car. So glad the driver was OK.
What make of car was it?
As much as that was a terrible crash and a loss of many dollars, nobody was seriously injured and nobody from the public ( as in street racing) was in any way in danger of being injured.

Those of us who like the speed and the thrill that only track time can provide recognize the hazards and we accept the consequences.

It's not for everybody, some get their thrills just by owning a fast car and others just have to drive them fast.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

Racer X

Let me clarify....” One of the main reasons I have not (and will not ) track my car” Tracking a Cobra is WAY ABOVE the driving skill I have, not to mention the concentration needed to drive like that. wish I could!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Racer X

Let me clarify....” One of the main reasons I have not (and will not ) track my car” Tracking a Cobra is WAY ABOVE the driving skill I have, not to mention the concentration needed to drive like that. wish I could!!!
Almost anyone can learn to drive at 7/10 or 8/10.

It's that last little bit that separates the men from the boys.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Racer X

In the last 10 years I have performance driving school instructed many guys just like you. It is very rare when one of them says "this is too fast for me"
A lot of the guys I have instructed as first timers have gone on to advanced schools and have become pretty good vintage racers.
Like I said it's not for everybody but sometimes all it takes is one lesson and you are hooked.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X #99 View Post
...sometimes all it takes is one lesson and you are hooked.
But like anything in life, many lessons to really master it.

Glad the driver is okay. Reaffirms my own intuitions on the subject and that my personal choice for a track car will have a full cage and a roof over my head.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pete made Yahoo news.........................
Video: Race car crash at 130mph caught on video | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
Old 01-20-2012, 06:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
I would rather make it as a Power Ball winner.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Thought most track regulations require the roll bar to be " X " inches higher than the top of the driver's helmet ?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Ahhh........."The Broom Handle Test".

Last edited by bret a ewing; 01-20-2012 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: content
Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

I have to tell you from a non-racers point of view who actually reads, watches and listens to a ton of it (NASCAR, F1, Top-fuel, you guys, etc.) that I am really shocked you can go to Willow Springs with no arm restraints, things just flying from your car and a harness that nearly every manufacturer is going to say is mounted incorrectly (not mounted below your shoulders "X" inches). Roll bar too? What is the requirement of the height? And then the guy coming along and just tearing off his helmet, I guess its a good thing he had not spinal or neck injuires.

Eventually I will make the investment in time, money and plenty of schooling to race a car (Cobra or not), but I lost a lot of respect for the "rigorous tech inspection". Hell, looks like the only one is going to do it is me. I always thought Willow Springs to be some premier racing facility, what the hell was I thinking...

Also, to the racer guys; I have read on more then one post that a Cobra, with the aerodynamic profile of wood block and the open mouth of a gaping bass, will want to lift in the front-end of even a big block iron FE after 130mph with an "average" suspension stance with little to no down-force. Could this be the case here? With no down force, coming up a hill, losing grip, driving past the car/drivers limits - could this be the case? I know anything can happen, no one really knows, but is this a possibility?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
I have to tell you from a non-racers point of view who actually reads, watches and listens to a ton of it (NASCAR, F1, Top-fuel, you guys, etc.) that I am really shocked you can go to Willow Springs with no arm restraints, things just flying from your car and a harness that nearly every manufacturer is going to say is mounted incorrectly (not mounted below your shoulders "X" inches). Roll bar too? What is the requirement of the height? And then the guy coming along and just tearing off his helmet, I guess its a good thing he had not spinal or neck injuires.

Eventually I will make the investment in time, money and plenty of schooling to race a car (Cobra or not), but I lost a lot of respect for the "rigorous tech inspection". Hell, looks like the only one is going to do it is me. I always thought Willow Springs to be some premier racing facility, what the hell was I thinking...

Also, to the racer guys; I have read on more then one post that a Cobra, with the aerodynamic profile of wood block and the open mouth of a gaping bass, will want to lift in the front-end of even a big block iron FE after 130mph with an "average" suspension stance with little to no down-force. Could this be the case here? With no down force, coming up a hill, losing grip, driving past the car/drivers limits - could this be the case? I know anything can happen, no one really knows, but is this a possibility?
You have a very valid point. Was the car indeed faster than the suspension components could handle at that point? Perhaps so because it was obvious there was a right front failure of some type. I would be curious as to what EXACTLY failed. Just because you strap on a helmet doesn't make it a race car! Glad the driver was OK!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine is rock stable @145+.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have to tell you from a non-racers point of view who actually reads, watches and listens to a ton of it (NASCAR, F1, Top-fuel, you guys, etc.)

Watching it on TV isn't the same as doing it.

Eventually I will make the investment in time, money and plenty of schooling to race a car (Cobra or not), but I lost a lot of respect for the "rigorous tech inspection".

Be sure and get back to us when you do.

Hell, looks like the only one is going to do it is me.

And who did you think was going to do it?

I always thought Willow Springs to be some premier racing facility, what the hell was I thinking...

Willow Springs is a track; a chunk of pavement. It's quality is only as good as the users make it.

Also, to the racer guys; I have read on more then one post that a Cobra, with the aerodynamic profile of wood block and the open mouth of a gaping bass, will want to lift in the front-end of even a big block iron FE after 130mph with an "average" suspension stance with little to no down-force?
Remember that you're talking about the only American car to ever win the FIA world championship. The car that has been on race tracks around the world for 50 years. The most copied body style ever made.

Again, when you actually get out there and do it, then you can speak with authority. Until then, pull the lever on your barcolounger and crack open another beer.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 01-20-2012, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Running at Willow Springs

Quote:

The sanctioning body for the particular group running Willow is responsible for tech inspection, not the track. The person driving the car should be the most concerned about his or her safety and should be aware of all the requirements of NASA or SCCA if they are interested in their own safety.
Those rules and specifications are readily available and should be followed if you are serious about track driving. Most people value their own life quite highly and should act accordingly not hope a volunteer tech guy will find something they missed.

I have no personal knowledge of this accident but it sure looks like a suspension failure on the video, I was told by someone else that he dropped a wheel where the track narrows in the outside lane which might have caused the problem. Another possibility is that the donor parts were defective if taken from a wrecked car, all pure speculation though.

Cobras have to be going a lot faster than 135 to "lift off" especially if you have a slight "rake" angle. The poor aerodynamics have a greater effect on top speed than lift, although lift is produced too.