Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby 50th bash in Vegas

I've been out of the country for a while and out of touch so I'm trying to catch up on the Shelby 50th Bash info.

The Team Shelby site seems VERY Mustang centric and hundreds of pages of twittering and not much info.

Here's what I think I learned:

Dates; March 15, 16, and 17th, 2012
Tickets: $599 for non car/non track ($699 for 2 people) YIKES!!!!!
$100 for spectaror events???????
Activity list/schedule: Couldn't find one.

Again, the Team Shelby site seems very late model Mustang centric and I did not see one mention of Cobras (after all it is the Shelby Cobra's 50th).

Does anyone have any other specific info or web links regarding any Cobra related activities? I am planning on going and looking for more info.

Greg
Old 12-08-2011, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I think your info is incorrect. The hotel is the South Point. The track is the Spring Mountain track in Pahrump. Tickets are 599-999 depending on head count and track participation.

Lots more info here:

Shelby 50th: Buy Tickets and General Discussion - Team Shelby

Hotel info:

Shelby 50th: Las Vegas Hotel Details - Team Shelby

Lots of other info in the forum where these topics are

Shelby American 50th Anniversary Bash - Team Shelby

Track rules and safety equipment requirements are there too. I was going to go (even had my ticket) and decided that trucking the GT across the mountains that time of the year is just too risky. Plus I'm pretty sure I won't fit in the seat with a helmet on. Gonna test that though.

Cobras are allowed on the track but no passengers unless you have two roll bars.

Good Luck.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Well, for one thing, the event is NOT being held at Las Vegas Motor Speedway! It is being held at Spring Mountain in Pahrump, NV. And yes, it is centered around the Mustang even though it is the 50th anniversary of the Cobra. All the frequent visitors to the Team Shelby website corrected me by letting me know that it is the 50th Anniversary of Shelby American and not just the Cobra. My money will be spent at the Ford-Cobra-Shelby Reunion celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Cobra in April at the Pomona Fairgrounds in Pomona, CA! That will be the premier Cobra event of the year! Look on the NHRA Museum website for complete information, then you decide where you would rather be!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the corrections to my incorrect info guys. Waded through 100's of pages of Team Shelby website stuff and still got it wrong.

So the bottom line is the Shelby 50th event at Pahrump appears to be Mustang centric as there is no mention of any Cobra centric events or activities.

I think it's Pomona for me.

Greg
Old 12-08-2011, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I think your info is incorrect. The hotel is the South Point. The track is the Spring Mountain track in Pahrump. Tickets are 599-999 depending on head count and track participation.

Lots more info here:

Shelby 50th: Buy Tickets and General Discussion - Team Shelby

Hotel info:

Shelby 50th: Las Vegas Hotel Details - Team Shelby

Lots of other info in the forum where these topics are

Shelby American 50th Anniversary Bash - Team Shelby

Track rules and safety equipment requirements are there too. I was going to go (even had my ticket) and decided that trucking the GT across the mountains that time of the year is just too risky. Plus I'm pretty sure I won't fit in the seat with a helmet on. Gonna test that though.

Cobras are allowed on the track but no passengers unless you have two roll bars.

Good Luck.
Tony, I was told by the promoter of the Pomona event that they were going to have a special section for the Ford GT/ GT 40 group!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by my427cobra View Post
So the bottom line is the Shelby 50th event at Pahrump appears to be Mustang centric as there is no mention of any Cobra centric events or activities.

I think it's Pomona for me.

Greg
How about Monterey in August 2012?

Cobra 50th Anniversary to be Featured at 2012 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion - Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Old 12-08-2011, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by my427cobra View Post
I've been out of the country for a while and out of touch so I'm trying to catch up on the Shelby 50th Bash info.

The Team Shelby site seems VERY Mustang centric and hundreds of pages of twittering and not much info.

Here's what I think I learned:

Dates; March 15, 16, and 17th, 2012
Tickets: $599 for non car/non track ($699 for 2 people) YIKES!!!!!
$100 for spectaror events???????
Activity list/schedule: Couldn't find one.

Again, the Team Shelby site seems very late model Mustang centric and I did not see one mention of Cobras (after all it is the Shelby Cobra's 50th).

Does anyone have any other specific info or web links regarding any Cobra related activities? I am planning on going and looking for more info.

Greg
The NHRA Museum is hosting the 50th Anniversary of the Cobra on April 10-21 at the LA County Fairgrounds. for info contact lynnrose@msn.com
Old 12-08-2011, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

The Las Vegas event is more oriented to the Mustangs. There are going to be a few Cobras there though but it's not themed around the Cobra.

I'm afraid Pomona is a little too far for me. I'll probably scope out the activities of the Ford GT group to see where they end up this year for their Rally, but it's looking like it is going to be east of the Mississippi so I'm not sure I'll do anything this coming season. Maybe try to pick up another Grand Canyon trip instead.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 50th Anniversary of the Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzzy View Post
The NHRA Museum is hosting the 50th Anniversary of the Cobra on April 10-21 at the LA County Fairgrounds. for info contact lynnrose@msn.com
If you are into Cobras the NHRA event is the place to be, They will have a number of original GT-350s and racing Cobras. I plan on going if I can work out the logistics for this event. They have some really good instructors for the track event along with expert organization. The Nevada event is fine if you are into late model Mustangs but if you have any form of GT or Cobra I would recommend the NHRA event.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Monterey will be a cool event...from a spectator's point of view. They will probably have a "Cobra Corral" for Cobra and replica owners to park in. And maybe a couple of parade laps. But...the 50th Anniversary Celebration at the Pomona Fairgrounds will have available to you 3 days of track time on the old historic Pomona Road Course, access to the Driver's Club & VIP hospitality areas, a couple of cocktail receptions, the big banquet honoring Carroll Shelby, a panel discussion, a poker run, a goody bag, entry in to the Fabulous Fords Forever event at Knott's Berry Farm on Sunday plus a whole lot more! Any Ford powered vehicle is invited to attend. WOW!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got my tickets and room for Monterey already!!!!!!!!

Greg
Old 12-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Getting my tickets for Pomona as we speak!

Greg
Old 12-09-2011, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE #24, 427cu, 6 spd, 550hp.
Not Ranked     

Cobra has also been designated as one of the marques for the Concours d Elegance @ Pebble Beach, should be a large time for all
Glenn
Old 12-09-2011, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 1967 / Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

The Team Shelby site definitely caters towards the late model crowd, but remember to put it all in perspective:

1. When CS and Ford decided to renew the Shelby line, there already was SAAC focusing on the first (and only) generation of "real" Shelby cars built to date. The new club balances that out, to a degree, although I don't know if Cobra owners or even replica Cobra owners are looked down upon.

2. It wasn't that long ago that CS and SAAC had major differences of opinion about a variety of issues and I think Team Shelby was the old man's way of saying, "See, you can enjoy these cars without joining SAAC and being under their influence instead of mine."

3. As noted in this thread, there are going to be a bunch of events surrounding Shelby American and the Cobra model. This is one that is directly sponsored by Shelby American, though, if that means something to you. A pretty good chance to meet Carroll Shelby himself in Las Vegas compared to some of the other places. I think the Las Vegas event is probably the only way that is more welcoming(?) towards the newer owners.

As an aside, since I posted and followed over on Team Shelby for a few years when I had my 2006 Shelby GT-H, I get the impression that certain folks in the SAAC crowd weren't as inviting of this new breed of Shelby car. I could be wrong and I am not trying to disparage SAAC as a group. There are always a few bad apples, of course.

Mike
Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzito View Post
I could be wrong ...
You are...but that's OK.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Well excuse me, then. Just one person's opinion based on multiple comments on TS.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Neutral     

You're excused.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
Cobra has also been designated as one of the marques for the Concours d Elegance @ Pebble Beach, should be a large time for all Glenn
...as it will be the featured marque at next year’s Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion on August 17-19, 2012. (Laguna Seca Raceway)
Old 12-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzito View Post
Well excuse me, then. Just one person's opinion based on multiple comments on TS.
Otherwise commonly referred to as "hearsay".
Old 12-11-2011, 12:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Otherwise commonly referred to as "hearsay".
It wasn't my intention to insult anybody, but I am so glad that you make a newer member feel so welcome. Kind of like what those others were describing to me in the first place.

By the way, it's only hearsay if it is intended to prove the matter asserted. It seems like some folks will do it themselves.