23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 427
Not Ranked     
Default My first post and my first Cobra.

Hi guys,

My name is John and I am a Cobraholic! I've been lurking here for quite some time reading and learning as much as I can but haven't posted anything yet. I'm currently at page 206 in this section of the forum and have really enjoyed the wealth of information that is available, as well as the banter and the different "characters" if you will (I actually like the guy with the Silver Cobra with the 2 roll-bars, Patrick I think, he's amusing).

Anyways....

I purchased a Cobra in December. I've always loved the Cobra and stumbled upon a deal where I traded 2 of my vehicles, a 1968 AMC Javelin and a 2003 Honda S2000.

Here's some pictures of the Javelin...

Here's the Cobra that I ended up with...

It's a Shell Valley kit that was built in 2002. The build seems to be pretty high quality and Shell Valley, from the research I've done, appears to be a decent kit. It has a 1967 428 Cobra Jet engine, TKO 600 transmission and a Strange rear-end.

That's the only info I have on the car based on the receipts I have. Honestly, I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to the mechanical stuff but I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I do have some questions however. When I change the oil this spring, do I just go into a parts store and ask for an oil filter for a 428 Ford? How many quarts of oil does it use? What about brake pads when they need changing, what do I ask for?

The more I think about it, it seems like it might be a real pain in the rear! Parts weren't easy to come by for my Javelin, but at least I could walk up to the counter and ask for xxxx part for a 1968 AMC Javelin SST 343. How do I deal with this issue when it comes to parts?

Other than that I can't wait for Spring!!! I've only driven this thing around the block once when I got it and am completely dying to take this thing out properly.

I'm sure I will have many more questions then and I won't be afraid to ask, this is certainly a knowledgeable group that can provide an answer.

I'm sure you will be hearing more from me soon.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

Hey John, welcome to Club Cobra!

Beautiful Shell Valley. I like how the paint goes thru the dash, that's neat. Looks to be in a great condition.

As far as parts. It is not as hard as it sounds. Filter wise, depends what your car is set up for but just take the old one off and see what size it is, and get something similar in size. For the oil, depends on the pan you have and if you are running an oil cooler for example (can't tell from the pic). But they usually are in the 8 to 10 qts range. Brake pads, I don't know enough about the Valleys to help you out. A lot of these cars use fairly common parts. Don't be afraid to ask (and use the search botton )

Check out the Windy City section too if you haven't already. Peoria heh? Fun stuff down there... I go there for work once in a while, fairly drury doen there, except for the school bus races at the speedway lol. Your Javelin looks great!

Once again welcome, and please don't feed Patrick

Arno

Last edited by Avmaviator; 02-06-2012 at 05:57 PM..
Old 02-06-2012, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 1774 / 392 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Nice Cobra John! Welcome to Club Cobra! Mark
Old 02-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

+1.
check the fluid in the the diff and trans and clean/ change the air filter. As a subsequent owner you don't know for sure when service was last done. Safety check all crucial fasteners.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, Roush 427sr/tw, install by Dennis Olthoff
Not Ranked     

Very nice machine. Welcome to the madness. You might want to keep an eye on Windy City Cobra Club. Sometimes we do day trips and get down near that area. Last summer we drove to Pontiac
Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avmaviator View Post
Hey John, welcome to Club Cobra!

Beautiful Shell Valley. I like how the paint goes thru the dash, that's neat. Looks to be in a great condition.

As far as parts. It is not as hard as it sounds. Filter wise, depends what your car is set up for but just take the old one off and see what size it is, and get something similar in size. For the oil, depends on the pan you have and if you are running an oil cooler for example (can't tell from the pic). But they usually are in the 8 to 10 qts range. Brake pads, I don't know enough about the Valleys to help you out. A lot of these cars use fairly common parts. Don't be afraid to ask (and use the search botton )

Check out the Windy City section too if you haven't already. Peoria heh? Fun stuff down there... I go there for work once in a while, fairly drury doen there, except for the school bus races at the speedway lol. Your Javelin looks great!

Once again welcome, and please don't feed Patrick

Arno
Thanks for the info, it's appreciated.

I grew up in Chicago Heights, but truthfully I really like it here in Peoria. I've been here 14 years and can't ever see leaving.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
+1.
check the fluid in the the diff and trans and clean/ change the air filter. As a subsequent owner you don't know for sure when service was last done. Safety check all crucial fasteners.
All good suggestions, thanks for the reminders.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfcobra2567 View Post
Very nice machine. Welcome to the madness. You might want to keep an eye on Windy City Cobra Club. Sometimes we do day trips and get down near that area. Last summer we drove to Pontiac
I will definitely watch that. A trip through the Starved Rock area would be a nice drive if you guys come down this direction.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302 powerdyne supercharged
Not Ranked     

I remember seeing your Javelin in the FFCars forum. Great looking AMC.

I used to have a 1969 Javelin. Really loved that car.

Nice looking Shell Valley.

Welcome to the club.

P.S. Awesome first post!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

John,

I really liked the Javlin, but the Cobra is really nice. As for the oil filter, most For FE engines will use the same one unless they had to use a short one by mounting it in that close space. If that is the case I would get a remote filter kit and put it where I could run a full size filter. All of the other advice given in the previous posts pretty well covers what to look for and do. You will learn as you go and you can always always ask questions if you run into something that you aren't sure of. One thing for sure, you are in for a great time when you start driving it.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Welcome aboard, even though you're encouraging Patrick. The brakes should be Mustang II. http://www.shellvalley.com/Store/pro...es&store=cobra We also have a Shell Valley Forum here and they will be able to answer questions specific to your breed.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shell-valley-companies/
As was suggested if you have parts in hand it won't be too difficult for a good parts man to identify them. Sharp looking car you'll enjoy that.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCarl View Post
I remember seeing your Javelin in the FFCars forum. Great looking AMC.

I used to have a 1969 Javelin. Really loved that car.

Nice looking Shell Valley.

Welcome to the club.

P.S. Awesome first post!
Yeah, I've been working this Cobra angle for a bit...it's worked out!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Welcome aboard, even though you're encouraging Patrick. The brakes should be Mustang II. http://www.shellvalley.com/Store/pro...es&store=cobra We also have a Shell Valley Forum here and they will be able to answer questions specific to your breed.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shell-valley-companies/
As was suggested if you have parts in hand it won't be too difficult for a good parts man to identify them. Sharp looking car you'll enjoy that.
Thanks for the added info.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One other question I had...

The red "pin" on my tach that signifies the red-line was over at zero RPM's. I can manually move it but don't know what a safe RPM level is for the engine. What's a safe red-line for a 428?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

From experience and 4000 race miles on my 428 CJ if you keep the RPMs' at or below 6000 you will be great. I pushed mine to almost 7000 at Texas Motor Speedway and that was a bit too much. Great engine with great torque. Enjoy!!!

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
John,

I really liked the Javlin, but the Cobra is really nice. As for the oil filter, most For FE engines will use the same one unless they had to use a short one by mounting it in that close space. If that is the case I would get a remote filter kit and put it where I could run a full size filter. All of the other advice given in the previous posts pretty well covers what to look for and do. You will learn as you go and you can always always ask questions if you run into something that you aren't sure of. One thing for sure, you are in for a great time when you start driving it.

Ron
Thanks for the info.

As to the part I put in bold......this has been the longest winter of my life!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

Standard Motorcraft filter will be FL-1A
I don't recommend fram filters. Many bad results from them.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I would also try to see if Shell Valley has a standard wiring diagram and ask for a copy.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
I would also try to see if Shell Valley has a standard wiring diagram and ask for a copy.
That's a good suggestion, fortunately the builder had included it with the other paperwork and receipts he gave me.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM2006 FE & Toploader
Not Ranked     

Shell Valley was on my short list when I was looking. I believe the front brake pads will be GM metric if you have an 11" rotor. If you have questions call Dana at Shell Valley 1-800-356-9198 he is a great guy.

Mark