Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra: COB6008

From an advertisement in MotorSport (UK) magazine. Mentioned in the ad: One of only three European Lightweight Cobras in period, built with FIA bodywork and the only Cobra to be fitted with a unique D type aero screen, celebrity drivers include Derek Bell, Jochen Mass, Dan Gurney, Jackie Oliver ,Eddie Cheever.

" COB 6008 – EARLY HISTORY "
" The history of each of the 453 ‘289’ Shelby-AC Cobras built by AC Cars during 1963 and 1964 has been thoroughly researched by the Shelby American Automobile Club and the results are published in its authoritative World Registry. Few examples have such detailed records as COB 6008, whose first owner can provide information dating back to the day he collected it from the factory. His new sports car proved effective on both road and track, back in the days w
hen it was normal to drive to the race and home afterwards.................".

1964 AC SHELBY COBRA // Home Of Horsepower
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

** Post deleted as factually wrong ***

Last edited by KevinW; 02-22-2012 at 01:19 PM..
Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Interesting comment Kevin. What extra information do you have that says COB6008 "did not receive life until well after Shelby and AC cars ceased production"?
My belief, gained from a number of sources, is that it left the AC factory at Thames Ditton in close to FIA spec and went to Wilkie Wilkinson at BRM for engine 'tuning'. I say "close to FIA" spec as it had the cut back doors and FIA rear wheel arch flares, but it had something closer to standard for the front wheel arches. It came from the factory painted white.
Sometime further down the track COB6008 gained FIA-type front wheel arch flares and was painted Princess Alice Blue (similar to Viking Blue). It stayed in this configuration for most of its life and was extensively raced.
In very recent times, it has been fully restored and returned to the configuration that it was originally raced and to its original colour. It has worn two registration numbers over the years, 131 YHN (which it now has) and 11 COB.
This is a Cobra that has had a short list of owners over its lifetime compared to most, and I believe its history can be, and has been by experts, easily traced.
What misleading information has previously been presented?
Cheers,
Glen
Old 02-21-2012, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=KevinW;1177187]I have posted a comment, which I believe is factually accurate.

Kevin ,were did you get these facts from ? a modern replica ? , this is a very original car .

Last edited by hurricaneharold; 02-29-2012 at 12:23 PM..
Old 02-21-2012, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Interesting comment Kevin. What extra information do you have that says COB6008 "did not receive life until well after Shelby and AC cars ceased production"?
My belief, gained from a number of sources, is that it left the AC factory at Thames Ditton in close to FIA spec and went to Wilkie Wilkinson at BRM for engine 'tuning'. I say "close to FIA" spec as it had the cut back doors and FIA rear wheel arch flares, but it had something closer to standard for the front wheel arches. It came from the factory painted white.
Sometime further down the track COB6008 gained FIA-type front wheel arch flares and was painted Princess Alice Blue (similar to Viking Blue). It stayed in this configuration for most of its life and was extensively raced.
In very recent times, it has been fully restored and returned to the configuration that it was originally raced and to its original colour. It has worn two registration numbers over the years, 131 YHN (which it now has) and 11 COB.
This is a Cobra that has had a short list of owners over its lifetime compared to most, and I believe its history can be, and has been by experts, easily traced.
What misleading information has previously been presented?
Cheers,
Glen
The car has also been registered with the Reg No TWU 2 aswell as 131 YHN & 11 COB,the reg no 11 COB is now on CSX2151 THE Hairy Canary.

But the rest of the info on here is spot on.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just go to
GALLERY // Home Of Horsepower and see all pics (blue ones too) and history file.

Cheers
Migge
Old 02-22-2012, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

KevinW

Do your homework!! Buy a book. Read stuff. I do hope you've sent a grovelling apology to the owner, who will no doubt be very unimpressed by your comments.

The first 6-series AC Cobra (not Shelby Cobra) was recorded in the AC Bible (chassis registry) on 1.10.1963 as chassis COB6001. The car in question was listed as sold on 20th February 1964. I have met the cars first owner (who is alive and very well indeed) who told the story of how he collected it from Thames Ditton and drove it home to Yorkshire. Having personally followed and documented the total restoration down to the last nut & bolt I can confirm it was built in 1964 and retains about 95% of its original metalwork.....
Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate View Post
KevinW

Do your homework!! Buy a book. Read stuff. I do hope you've sent a grovelling apology to the owner, who will no doubt be very unimpressed by your comments.
+1 Buy a Registry, buy one of Trevor's books. Ask questions here if you're not sure about information on Cobras.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

And by all means, please do not post things that you "believe to be factually accurate" without being certain. There is already far too much stuff posted here that is simply incorrect, and if left unchallenged it leads people in the wrong direction.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

OK OK, I'll put my hands up - I got it wrong! I misinterpreted the chassis number.

I apologise to all concerned.....and I will post the owner as well.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
OK OK, I'll put my hands up - I got it wrong! I misinterpreted the chassis number.

I apologise to all concerned.....and I will post the owner as well.
So what is the chassis No of the modern replica ??
Old 02-22-2012, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneharold View Post
So what is the chassis No of the modern replica ??
Perhaps the confusion was from the COB6xxx and the current used CSX6xxx.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Another advertisement ( Rod Leach's Nostalgia) in MotorSport mentioned the following with a picture.

" This is COB 5002, starring in Clarkson's Motoring Years ( BBC TV ), an entrant in the Salon Prive Concours, and seen below in 2011 at Croft Racing Circuit [I]with the famed COB 6008 "[/i]

The picture mentioned above does not appear in the Classic Driver web site, but of interest are other Cobras for sale.

The ad web site:

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find...odelflag=10003
Old 07-10-2013, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello, just joined. Just thought I would throw in a fact.
When I was a teenager, I saw this car (in White) being driven by Keith Schellenberg at the opening day of Bruce Ropners
local racing circuit of Croft in North Yorkshire in the mid sixties - and it was running the local Darlington 'HN' registration plate.
To add to this, I currently own a 1962 vehicle that carries an 'HN' registration, unfortunately, it isn't a Cobra, or an AC !
Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

Wecome Gene-Gilleno. I don't suppose you have any photos from that event?

Sad to report that 6008 is no longer the car it once was. It was sold recently and shortly afterwards, it was rolled and quite badly damaged at Spa.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sadly the only pictures I have, are in my head - but I can still hear the thunder of that V8 !
Old 07-13-2013, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Wecome Gene-Gilleno. I don't suppose you have any photos from that event?

Sad to report that 6008 is no longer the car it once was. It was sold recently and shortly afterwards, it was rolled and quite badly damaged at Spa.
I am sure it can be repaired, but yes a great shame after all the loving restoration work that went into getting the car to look like it was . unfortunatly that is the nature of the game, you take these cars out on race tracks and run the risk,

Hopefully the bodywork can be straightened out , to keep the car original,once repaired , I suspect we will see a Polish lightweight version of the car on the race tracks !
Old 07-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
And by all means, please do not post things that you "believe to be factually accurate" without being certain. There is already far too much stuff posted here that is simply incorrect, and if left unchallenged it leads people in the wrong direction.
I agree with what was stated that something mentioned may become fact.

I know that many keep a lot of useful information but remember that some information given by owners is inaccurate and hard for the record keepers at times to separate fact from fiction. Most of the time info is spot on.
When I received the first Cobra registry(I think the first one) I found numerous errors on Cobras that I came across over the years. Some were small mistakes, however several were whoppers. I think the trouble was lack of info on many. I haven't picked up a current copy, would be good to see what is in there now. (Especially on totaled cobras)
Old 07-15-2013, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRider View Post
I haven't picked up a current copy, would be good to see what is in there now. (Especially on totaled cobras)
Here you go, lots of new info since the first Registry
SAAC - The 2008 World Registry - Volume 1
Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...Sad to report that 6008 is no longer the car it once was. It was sold recently and shortly afterwards, it was rolled and quite badly damaged at Spa.
Oh, that is sad...I've been away from almost everything computerized for a month and hadn't heard about this.
I have a big soft spot for COB6008 so I'm very sorry to hear about this.
I can't find any info online about it ....so anybody (Trevor?) have any more details? Nobody hurt I hope? What is the state of COB6008 now?

Cheers,
Glen