Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Superformance VS. ERA (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/114539-superformance-vs-era.html)

krkucin 02-25-2012 05:42 AM

Superformance VS. ERA

I am on the search for a Cobra. I found one I thought I might like in Florida: Shelby Shelby | eBay but it is titled as a 2006 which would make the taxes and registration much more expensive here in MN.

I found one in Arizona and it seemed like the perfect one: http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...-lewisT-az.jpg of course this one was sold.

Then I saw this ERA: ERA 427SC Cobra For Sale Seems like a very nice car, thing is, I know nothing about ERA Cobras.

So, wanted to get everyone's take on the pros AND cons on both ERA Cobras and Superformance Cobras. Any personal ownership experiences would be much appreciated. I want to get a car that I can have for many years to come, street cruiser and a car show every now and then. Want a big block power plant. Help! ...and thanks in advance.

REAL 1 02-25-2012 06:02 AM

ERA is the Cadillac of Replicas.

SPF is a great car but IMHO ERAs are better and aesthetically more accurate. The only issue is assuring the quality of the build unless it was built at ERA.

I owned an ERA (#515). Wonderful car.

Compare Spf side buy side with a nice ERA. There is a difference.

SunDude 02-25-2012 06:12 AM

IMO they're both Blue Chip choices.

Find a nice one, and you can't go wrong either way.

REAL 1 02-25-2012 06:20 AM

Looked at the ERA you linked to. It's a stunner. Only issue is price. I think you can have a new ERA built for thAt number. Only issue is the wait.

Call Peter Portante at ERA. I believe he now owns my old ERA #515 too. Geat guy. They may even have a car available.

tboneheller 02-25-2012 06:21 AM

I almost bought a Superformance until I compared it to an ERA.

SPF1061 02-25-2012 06:22 AM

Firstly, you can't go wrong with either one. I bought a Superformance in 2001. I bought new and I didn't want to wait. This was a big plus in the Superformance column. If you are buying used, once you find the right car, you won't have to wait for it to be built, so that negates the immediate gratification advantage of Superformance. :LOL: If you are hung up on accuracy of your replica, the body shape of the ERA is a bit closer to the real thing than the Superformance. There are lots of things under the skin on both of them that aren't even close to an original. But we all know that if you are an accuracy freak you won't be happy with anything other than a continuation or a Kirkham.
I have heard nothing but good things about the quality of ERA and the folks that build and support them. But that is all second hand info for me. What I do know first hand is my experience with my Superformance. I am going on 11 years of ownership. I am on my second engine and have 62,000 + miles on the odometer. The car has been absolutely bullet proof. It is as tight and rattle free today as the day I drove it out of the Olthoff's shop. (An aside, I don't know where you live, but if you are within one day's drive of Mt. Ulla, NC, that would be a huge reason to put Superformance near/at the top of your list. Mt. Ulla is the home of Dennis Olthoff's shop. There is NO ONE that knows Superformance roadsters better than Dennis. The level of support and mainatanance available at his shop is reason enough alone, in my opinion, to own a Superformance.) I have drag raced, road coursed and long range road tripped my car. I have a wall full of trophy plaques I won in several years of Run n' Gun competition. I cannot imagine any replica could be more fun, reliable, trouble free and totally bad assed than SPF1061. That is my honest, personal and considerable experience with one brand of Cobra replica. My guess is that whichever you get, you are going to have a ball! Enjoy the ride!

patrickt 02-25-2012 06:23 AM

There is a night and day difference between SPF and factory built ERA. Not everyone may care about those differences though. You have to see the two cars with your own two eyes and then make the decision yourself.

1985 CCX 02-25-2012 06:29 AM

ERA is a top notch replica that replicates the essance of the Cobra. Styling is very high quality and design second to none. If the ERA was made by a pro or ERA themselves the quality will be second to none. Most of the time an ERA is correct with FE motor, Jag or ERA IRS. This stated an ERA will probably cost more as there are less and FE adds cost. Outward accuracy is 10! Made in USA
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...in__klein_.jpg

SPF is a factory made car that is designed to use Ford components with an outward accuracy of about an 8. (My opinion) Most SPF's have small block versus FE. They do incorporate a very nice IRS via Ford center section. SPF will most likely hvve top and windows as they come complete from factory in South Africa.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._Poker_Run.jpg

Both are very nice, my own feeling is ERA hard to beat. SPF are nice just less accurate from the sense of the Cobra. Driven both and the ERA feels more authentic on the road. SPF is a great choice for the masses as newer motors may be less trouble, I suggested an SPF to my father.

Either will not be bad decision............. Best of luck

Silverback51 02-25-2012 06:33 AM

Both ERA and SPF are great cars.

Only issue that you may run up against with an ERA is poor build quaility if the builder did not do it right. The first ERA I went to look at was an example of very poor build quality. It' looked like Stevie Wonder had built it.

The one in your link looks beautiful. Only thing to consider about it is how you plan to use it since it has a top loader 4 speed. No overdrive means it may be turning some higher rev's if you go on longer trips.

SPF1061 02-25-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1177894)
There is a night and day difference between SPF and factory built ERA. Not everyone may care about those differences though. You have to see the two cars with your own two eyes and then make the decision yourself.

Patrick, substitute "definite" for "night and day" an I would totally agree with you.

mrmustang 02-25-2012 06:36 AM

Honestly, they are both excellent quality cars that you could not do wrong either way you go.

Bill S.

patrickt 02-25-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPF1061 (Post 1177898)
Patrick, substitute "definite" for "night and day" an I would totally agree with you.

OK, there is definitely a night and day difference between SPF and ERA.:cool:

SPF1061 02-25-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1177902)
OK, there is definitely a night and day difference between SPF and ERA.:cool:

Night and day are by definition polar opposites. Within the genre of Cobra replicas, ERA and Superformance hardly represent the polar opposites of available choices.

patrickt 02-25-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPF1061 (Post 1177908)
Night and day are by definition polar opposites.

No, to a blind man there is no difference at all between night and day. And to that same man, there would be little difference between an SPF and ERA.:cool:

olddog 02-25-2012 07:39 AM

Although I rode in a SPF with a 385 series BB and I have seen a couple with FE engines, the vast majority of SPF I have seen had Windsor based SB in them. The SPF dealer I have talked to several times over the years has always pushed the Windsor stroker engines pretty hard. I guess that explains that.

ERA has always pushed for a 427 side oiler, but at least put an FE in it pretty please. However if you insist they will set it up for anything. I have never personally seen an ERA that didn't have an FE in it, but I'm sure they exist.

To sum up in a few words (oversimplified), SPF is designed with more modern parts and improvements in mind (off the shelf parts a high priority), and ERA is designed to be close to the original set up, and to use as many original type parts as they could (originality a high priority). Both have good quality.

That having been said, I have never understood why ERA uses a square tube frame, when they put so much emphasis on duplicating the original car. That is the one item that ERA lacks in originality.

ERA is sold as kits and does run the risk of a ID10T assembling it, so do look any car over well. SPF are all factory rollers, but that does not prevent an ID10T from altering it or hacking the drive train, so do look any car over well.

I would own either SPF or ERA without any reservations.

SPF1061 02-25-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1177909)
No, to a blind man there is no difference at all between night and day. And to that same man, there would be little difference between an SPF and ERA.:cool:

Have a nice day. I'm going for a ride.

patrickt 02-25-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPF1061 (Post 1177915)
Have a nice day. I'm going for a ride.

Well don't go away mad.%/ My point was that night and day, just like SPF and ERA, are perceived differences. The difference between night and day is not that the light is there, but that you are able to see it. That's why I said in my earlier post "Not everyone may care about those differences." I don't think my posts could have been any more accurate and, after you reflect on it, you'll probably agree.;)

Mark IV 02-25-2012 07:53 AM

Aside from Patricks usual "comments", you will do well with either. For once he can actually add something to the discussion as he IS an ERA owner.

The ERA is a high quaility product when it leaves the factory and if assembled properly, makes a great car. You will not go wrong with one that is well built (and I sell Superformance). That said, the SPF is a consistant quality product and you will know what you are getting.

Both have good resale values and are sought after on the resale market.

Find what you like and drive the wheels off it.....................................

kevins2 02-25-2012 07:58 AM

There is a section on ERA's website that answers the question about the rectangular frame. Essentially, while a deviation from original, it is stronger and will handle the hp that some folks put in these cars. Worth a read if that is important to you.

Regards,

Kevin

SPF1061 02-25-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1177917)
Well don't go away mad.%/ My point was that night and day, just like SPF and ERA, are perceived differences. The difference between night and day is not that the light is there, but that you are able to see it. That's why I said in my earlier post "Not everyone may care about those differences." I don't think my posts could have been any more accurate and, after you reflect on it, you'll probably agree.;)

Patrick,
I totally got what you were saying. I'm not mad. I'm just not interested in wasting my time. ;)