23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     
Default Dark Enclosed Trailers Hotter Inside?

For you guys with dark enclosed trailers like black or dark blue are they hotter inside vs a white one or not really?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Dark will always be hotter if it's in the sun.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

When I ordered mine I had it ordered with insulation option roof vent and side vents, two rear windows.
It is black and not bad with vents open and windows.

Last edited by mln385; 03-04-2012 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Black trailers suck to keep clean. The heat diff is noticeable too. About ready to swap out our 24' pace (black) for a white or silver Featherlite. I'd never buy another steel trailer again.

Our 48' Featherlite with the AC unit is a joy in the June Carlisle scorch...
Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2773 Ford Racing 427W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharapa View Post
For you guys with dark enclosed trailers like black or dark blue are they hotter inside vs a white one or not really?
Yes SPF #2773 Jerry
Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Yes, mine is hotter than a white one but it is not so bad that I want to trade it off. Mine is 24' V-Nose with two roof vents and it is not really too bad. I try not to spend too much time in my trailer but I understand some people may choose to store their rides in their trailers.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 03-05-2012, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gary,
When I had mine a neighbor had a black one. Sitting side by side there is a noticeable difference in the temp in mid summer inside the trailer. But is was not so much so that it was not tolerable.

We did not actually take a temp reading inside the trailers but we had this very conversation and it was a little hotter inside his than mine. If you remember mine was white (sold to Kristen).

I would not have a problem with a black trailer. Mine had insulation and I do recommend it if you can get it. If I remember right it only cost about $75 or $100 extra. That was cheap I thought. They insulated the walls and ceiling. Of coarse not the floor.

Must Sell Right Now

Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     

Painting the roof white with mobile home roof sealer helps a lot. And I second the A/C. It's great to be at the track and crank the air conditioner. Best money you can spend if you go to events in the hot summer. You could even charge admission at some of the places like Hallett in June...
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Next time you are in a parking lot on a sunny day, put your hand on a black car and then a white one.........big difference.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree with the white rubber roof coating.
One reason, ESPECIALLY with a dark trailer is the rubber roof coating will help deter the dark lines that are so incredibly hard to clean off the sides of the trailer. Had I kept mine longer I had plans to put a rubber roof coat on mine.

I also agree with the AC in the trailer.
I had an AC in mine and it with get very cold inside on the hottest Texas summer days. I often took it to the farm and let the kids play inside and watch TV when we were working around outside. It was really nice to come in and take a break from the heat.

Gary,
Didn't Matt have a black (or a dark colored) trailer? Maybe he could give you some first hand information on the pitfalls.

Must Sell Right Now

Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Whte trailer

This is what I have. Its white external and internal made from 30mm fibreglass honeycomb sheet. Super light and strong.

I originally had a just a Aluminium flat bed featherlite but then extended the pan and enclosed it. All up its under a tonne including winch and battery.

Tows great with the V front and I can fit everything I need for a weekend of racing.

I kept it to 2metres high overall so as I got the best Aero from the F Truck I could. I'd looked at BLACK trailers and the heat generated certainly seemed greater.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the inf guys. I actually had a Pace Shadow GT 20 ft about 9 years ago that was mid night blue but didn't have it very long and didn't use it much in the summer. I definately want a white one talking to some and hearing all your comments as not just the heat but sitting out in the weather. Talked to a dealer today here in Dallas and he also said black would be much hotter. He has a Dragster 20 in white and could get me a V nose Dragster 20 within the next couple weeks. I have a trailer I can use for the Texas San Marcos event but thought if I could find one I like new or used I might pop for it now. Not alot used for sale unless real far away although did see two featherlites for sale one in Texas and one in Oklahoma.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     

spookypt
Nice trailer. I agree with your shorter overall height. The wind resistance for an enclosed trailer is unbelievable, when going to an enclosed from an open one. It's like pulling a billboard. Plus, many guys try to use a tow vehicle that works fine for an open trailer, but when moving up to an enclosed, just isn't large enough or powerful enough. I had to upgrade to a Powerstroke diesel F-250 to get something that I was comfortable with. I can't imagine using anything smaller and still feeling safe while towing.

My next enclosed trailer will definitely be something along the lines of yours. Shorter height, slope or V nose, winch, and A/C.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post
spookypt
Nice trailer. I agree with your shorter overall height. The wind resistance for an enclosed trailer is unbelievable, when going to an enclosed from an open one. It's like pulling a billboard. Plus, many guys try to use a tow vehicle that works fine for an open trailer, but when moving up to an enclosed, just isn't large enough or powerful enough. I had to upgrade to a Powerstroke diesel F-250 to get something that I was comfortable with. I can't imagine using anything smaller and still feeling safe while towing.

My next enclosed trailer will definitely be something along the lines of yours. Shorter height, slope or V nose, winch, and A/C.
Thanks mate....for those interested here's a before shot of teh flat bed prior to extending it 600mm and also an internal pic showing tyre rack and doors.