Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to flyboy1997
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby Series One

looking at one & thinking about bringing it home & may back the Lonestar out of trailer & bring it to San Marcos if it happens.
Anyone been in one or have knowledge, this one DOES have the VIN as production cars do.

Wendell / Lynn
Old 03-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1997 View Post
looking at one & thinking about bringing it home & may back the Lonestar out of trailer & bring it to San Marcos if it happens.
Anyone been in one or have knowledge, this one DOES have the VIN as production cars do.

Wendell / Lynn
Call the NASCAR driver Tony Stewart and talk to him about the cars, he's been collecting them for some time now and has a bunch of them...

David
Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Supposedly reasonably fast, handle well and fun to drive. Is yours a coupe or convertible? Normal or supercharged?

GM powered but Shelby built and designed. His really only ground up built car. All others were derivatives of something else.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Convertible & Normal, made a deposit to hold till I can fly to & test drive.
Hearing some of the same, heck of a track car with braking to match, I'll tell ya later........
Old 03-16-2012, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
...Is yours a coupe or convertible? Normal or supercharged?
???

I don't recall the Shelby Series 1 ever being offered as a coupe. Did I miss something?

Last edited by SunDude; 03-16-2012 at 01:22 PM..
Old 03-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't know myself, I remember reading the book Snake Bit saying some took delivery WITHOUT the top with the promise of installing after perfecting.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Whatever happened to the Shelby Series II cars (i.e., leftover Series 1 chassis) that were available from Shelby Distribution aka Hillbank Motors a couple years ago? Did they sell 'em all?

Does anybody know?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Handful of new Shelby Series II roadsters still available for purchase
Says a handfull are still around with several changes from the One, rollers I think.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I thought they sold off those remaining chassis and the guy that bought them is building Cobras on them. Saw some ads in my Vintage Motorsports Magazine and I think there was a story in Kit Car Builder also....Like to see a new Ford Coyote in a Series I.....
Old 03-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Yes,

He had a car at the Carlisle Import and Kit show last year. Nicely done but the body was at best a "Cobra wannabee" however the chassis was very nice.

Had an "FE" stuffed in to connect with the original, but I would rather a new tech powertrain for a concept like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-17-2012, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 2137, KC Racing 306
Not Ranked     

The Series 1 has an Oldsmobile Aurora engine, 4.0 liter if memory serves correctly. I used to see them all the time at Shelby's Las Vegas operation by the racetrack. Sadly, they never drew a crowd or attracted much interest. The emphasis was on sophisticated handling, not brute power like the Cobra (another way of saying underpowered?) I hope the sale price is a real bargain. I'm not sure it will be collectible when your grandchildren are retired, much less now.

Last edited by Quik289; 03-17-2012 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Add a few words
Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik289 View Post
The Series 1 has an Oldsmobile Aurora engine, 4.0 liter if memory serves correctly. I used to see them all the time at Shelby's Las Vegas operation by the racetrack. Sadly, they never drew a crowd or attracted much interest. The emphasis was on sophisticated handling, not brute power like the Cobra (another way of saying underpowered?) I hope the sale price is a real bargain. I'm not sure it will be collectible when your grandchildren are retired, much less now.
Thats funny that you say UNDERPOWERD, its basically the same engine as a Coyote, 4.0 vs 5.0 both dohc, when I've made commits that the coyote is underpowered for a cobra you would have thought I killed Jesus. It actualy is the same hp as a ford 4.6 litre 320. (not brute power like a cobra)

Last edited by fordracing65; 03-17-2012 at 07:36 PM..
Old 03-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Thats funny that you say UNDERPOWERD, its basically the same engine as a Coyote, 4.0 vs 5.0 both dohc, when I've made commits that the coyote is underpowered for a cobra you would have thought I killed Jesus. It actualy is the same hp as a ford 4.6 litre 320. (not brute power like a cobra)
If you remember when the Seires 1 came out,there was a big flap about the advertised HP numbers....Either it was the media or the first few owners that were not satisfied with the performance and the engines were tested, they were producing a lot less than the advertised HP..........Shelby ended up putting supercharges on a lot of the cars to get to what they were claiming and if my feeble memory is correct, he had to buy back some cars from some unhappy costumers to avoid lawsiuts with these cars.....That kinda killed the car right out of the blocks......

David
Old 03-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

I don't know about lacking power enough to have a damn good time in one. Gary Patterson took me for a couple of hair raising laps around the neighborhood in Vagas in a supercharged model. I do not remeber the thing going straigh for more than 10-15 yards at a time. Then again, Gary could make a freeking Yugo feel like that without much trouble.

Back in the days before I got the Kirkham, we were talking to a dealer from Florida who showed up with some demos at the Historics. Seemed like a damn nice car back then...especially compared to the first generation Vipers with truck motors and cub scout pup tents for convertible roofs.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, pretty much what I have been reading thru the book "Snake Bit" & review forums. If it is like my wifes Viper then I will not need it but going with a open mind & a trailer just in case. Never seen one in person to know Anything First hand. It looks kinda sexy to me but most everything I own is just a little different, painter said before painting my Lonestar, " People may not like it but They will have to come look at it" same for the Series I would imagine. I just kinda like the idea behind the car & if it trips my trigger I'll bring it home & San Marcos too if it works out.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
I don't know about lacking power enough to have a damn good time in one. Gary Patterson took me for a couple of hair raising laps around the neighborhood in Vagas in a supercharged model. I do not remeber the thing going straigh for more than 10-15 yards at a time. Then again, Gary could make a freeking Yugo feel like that without much trouble.

Back in the days before I got the Kirkham, we were talking to a dealer from Florida who showed up with some demos at the Historics. Seemed like a damn nice car back then...especially compared to the first generation Vipers with truck motors and cub scout pup tents for convertible roofs.
The problem was with the first batch of cars out, naturally aspirated Olds Aurora engines.....they didn't live up to their promises/expectations, that's why CS put superchargers on them....Later cars could be had with or without the superchargers....

David