Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhv48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default COBRA BUILT for under 35k with new parts?

This is my first Cobra, and I dont want to go very high on the budget.

So, NOT INCLUDING

- LABOR
- PAINT JOB
- WHEELS AND TIRES

Is it posible to build a cobra with all new parts for UNDER 35k?

Right now I am considering:

KIT: FFR or HURRICANE 22K (any other recomendation)

ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION: KEITH CRAFT CRATE ENGINE AND TREMEC TKO

LOOKING INTO THE:

- 306 CUBIC INCHES 340 HP CRATE ENGINE M-6007-X302 LOW PRICE

OR A BETTER OPTION FOR 2K MORE

331/347 Budget Blueprinted Crate Engine

Hope, you guys can help me, with a basic list of what is needed. Or to know if this is even posible?
Old 04-11-2012, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I'd try to find an unfinished kit. They are out there. You can do a budget build if you are willing to do most of the work yourself, sure.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Sure, especially if you do the paint yourself.

Don't underestimate the nickle an dime stuff though, it will add up. And it almost always costs more than you thought it would. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Exactly. I had a similar budget when I started mine. I would have been pretty close if I hadn't upgraded a bunch of things along the way. In the end I'm glad that I did. But, I had to do most of the "grunt work" myself. Assembly, Paint, engine build, etc. You can also find yourself going out of the way for some of the parts to save money, as well. I used a different oil cooler & fabbed the aluminum panels for it, myself. I sat down with an Excel spreadsheet before I put my deposit in. I had build a couple cars, so I had an idea of everything involved. Be honest on your calculations & you'll be pretty close with your estimate. $35 K isn't impossible with a lot of cars. It can easily be pushed to $80k if your ego has anything to do with it
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

stay away from the chrome shops and the billett aluminum retailers and you should do fine.......
most important is to stick to "basic offerings" that helps to keep the cost down on the "kit" you may choose......
you might try other mfgrs like Lone Star or Shell Valley or A&C and start with the "basic kit".......
set your budget and BE FIRM......look for deals......
Old 04-11-2012, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

You can easily build a brand new Hurricane as described for under $35k. Here is how it breaks down:

Kit: $22k
Driveshaft: $400
Battery: $200
Misc stuff budget: $1k (glue, rivets, misc fasteners, Dremel wheels, beer, band aids, shop light bulbs, special tools, etc)
Original style wheels and Tires: $2500

Total $26k-ish and you are ready for paint and drivetrain. Smart shoppers can find lots of savings on thing like wheels and transmissions if you scour the board classifieds and eBay while doing your build. Example, I found my TKO600 brand new on Craigslist for $1200.

The biggest threat to a cost overrun will come from you stringing the build out for 6 months and opening the door to talking yourself into a buttload of upgrades. Example: Hurricane seats are fine, but if you want Shelby-style original leather, $2k+. Autometer gauges come with the kit, you want original-style Smiths? Add $500-750. Hurricane uses a composite tank, you want aluminum? $500. Build the car to your budget now and do that upgrade stuff later in phases.

Good luck.

Jim

P.S. BIG SAVINGS buying the Hurricane because of the body prep time. Out of the mold, their body is MUCH closer to being ready for primer than many others. This could save mucho dinero at the body shop.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 460
Not Ranked     

I agree with what *13* said, if you can find an unfinished car you will be ahead of the game a bit.

Brandon
Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran3b View Post
I agree with what *13* said, if you can find an unfinished car you will be ahead of the game a bit.
The only advice I would have about buying an unfinished car is you better talk to some owners of that kit to be 100% sure you understand what is needed to finish it. You buy a car that is missing an emergency brake handle or a set of brake calipers or the wiring harness is rat-eaten junk after laying in a garage for 10 years and now your savings start to erode. All I am saying is do your homework. Microsoft Excel is your friend.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
.... Hurricane uses a composite tank, you want aluminum? $500.

FYI - the aluminum fuel tank is standard on Hurricanes now.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcobra15 View Post
FYI - the aluminum fuel tank is standard on Hurricanes now. .
See? Saving money already!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Or, you could buy an already completed FFR that cost its owner $45,000 in parts (and two years of his life to painstakenly assemble) for $35,000 and be driving it this weekend!
MSJ1971 likes this.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Or, you could buy an already completed FFR that cost its owner $45,000 in parts (and two years of his life to painstakenly assemble) for $35,000 and be driving it this weekend!
Good point. $35k is starting to get into some pretty nice used (slightly used in many cases) replicas. Paint/Wheels/Tires are not going to come cheap - you could comparably be shopping for a $40 to 42K car easily.

If planning to save much money by doing the paint and body yourself - be warned that may not work out. I probably have $5000 (maybe more) invested in my paint job which is single stage black PPG urethane - no stripes. That included rigging up a spray booth, buying an air line respirator, good quality paint and body materials, additional tools and materials. You could probably get by cheaper if you can get lacquer in your area but it won't be as durable. But if your going to drive it a lot a show car paint job is probably not worth the expense.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

PhotoPost Classifieds - Superformance 427 SC Cobra, SPO #1380 - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Or just buy this car. This is the deal of the century. If I hadnt just bought a Cobra this car would be in my garage. Had I known this car would be coming up I would have waited. The price is crazy cheap for what you get and with buying a Superformance the resale will be better than a F5 car. If you plan on spending 35G you will almost definitely end up spending more and will be close to 40G anyways. I cant believe this car is still for sale.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks alot guys for the info,

I missed this kind of forums, were people are willing to give their opionion to new commers.

The info is very helpfull.

The first thing I need to decide is what COBRA KIT, like I told previously right now I am leaning towards HURRICANE and FFR.

One reason is the price of 21k, and that support they have from their service team.

What other 21k COMPLETE KITS (or close) would you recomend?

Last edited by Rodolfo; 04-11-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Old 04-11-2012, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OZZIR, you are right, that car looks really good,

But to my bad luck I am starting my research and planing on starting the built or buy a used one, next year, or the following at the latest.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I learned long ago to never wait until tomorrow to do what you can today. There are no guarantees in life and certainly no guarantees we will be here in a year or 2 years. Life is short. Have fun while you can and while you have your health. Ive also learned not to live beyond your means and its a tough balance to want something and not be able to get it today. I can only say that if you can find a way to get in to a car sooner and start enjoying it without affecting other areas of your life then you should do it. I dont want to have any regrets in life and Im a car nut. I want to own them all but cant afford too all at once. Good luck with your search and hopefully your dreams of owning a Cobra come true sooner than later.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default cobra under 35k

B&B manufacturing, will built you a painted car color of your choice, all tubular front and rear suspension, 9" rear end, adjustable coil over shocks, original style wheels, all interior Installed, everything done all new parts, you add engine trans and drive shaft 25k please go to *B&B Manufacturing - :::: - Feel the Thunder - :::: - Hotrods from Kit to Turn Key - :::: for full details
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Built my car and went over the set budget just because of wanting the car to look as original as possible.If you build a car you will be your own worst enemy when it comes to how the end result turns out.Good Luck no matter the final cost.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique&Collectible 392 stroked
Not Ranked     

Check out Antiques & Collectibles they have a real nice kit. and Joe plus others on here will help you thru your build.. also they offer several colors available in a gel coat which looks great..and save lots of dough
Old 04-12-2012, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Building a roadster is a blast! But you can have one, already built that cost $40 to 50,000+ for $35,000! If you look carefully at the Cobra for sale sights. Here & other locals as well. Then make your mods as you go & drive NOW! Example, there is a nice dark green w/strips SPF. It has a 351W w/500hp. still listed here @ $42 or 44K & sold for $ 36 or 38K! You couldn't build a quality ride like that for the mid 30's! No way! My advice! Do some careful shopping 1st