Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Excal 090?

I'm looking to buy an Excal soon and I've found these postings to be incredibly informative, interesting and even entertaining at times.

Anyway, I see an Excal on eBay VIN 1XACA2316SM123090 which, if I read you guys right, is probably Excal # 090?? so about 1995 vintage? I was just wondering if anyone has any info on the history of this particular vehicle. It looks like the current owner is pretty straight up, but I don't think he's owned it for very long....I guess I should check the carfax report, huh!

I'll take any advice anyone wants to offer!
Old 03-01-2008, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD Excalibur, '94-'95 5.0 EFI, Edelbrock heads, E303 cam, 1.7RR, Cobra intake, 24lb injectors, 93 cobra ECU, 65mm TB, hi flow cats.
Not Ranked     
Default 090

Here is what I know about 090. Location New Hampshire as of Dec 06 when offered on ebay and got to $32,900, but did not sell in that auction. The current ebay listing is not the same ebay user name or location as for the prior listing. From the '06 listing: custom two color interior over riders, Shelby three spoke moto-lita wheel and shift lever, Shelby front & rear emblems, dash mounted rear view mirror, two factory side mirrors, white faced gages, silver wheels, head rest seats, black switch levers center of dash, no exhaust heat shields, sun visors, no door speakers, Hella disabler security system, AC switch right side of heater vent controls, lighter right side of dash. It was produced with a VIN right at the transistion from 1995 and '96 (085 is a '95 and 099 is a '96). The owner can tell you by looking at the title or registration. In Dec '06 it was reported to have 5100 miles. I can't explain why the current listing is stating and insisting it has 1300 miles. My guess is that the speedo was replaced in 2006 when the interior was redone and that is the mileage put on it since. 1300 miles is 100 miles a year, not likely for a car that had a custom interior redo just prior to it's apparent sale in 2006. The steering wheel, shifter, gage faces, heat shield removal, factory bumper removal, Shelby badges and dash mounted rear view mirror are most likely later upgrades/changes from the original (most of these are popular with cobra replica owners). I have several photos of it from the ebay posting last time. While they are fewer, they are better quality than the ones in the current listing. From the photos, the only change I see is that the upper intahe has been painted black. This is a rare color combination for these cars. Of the 80 or so I know details on, only three are white, one white, one white w/ red stripes and this one. Hope this helps. If you want copies of the earlier photos, send me an email at mduke@blinn.edu and I'll attach them to my reply. As stated in earlier post, I have some informational documents I can also send if you are interested.

Best wishes on your quest,

Mike
Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 090

Thanks, Mike. That's a lot of really helpful info. I am curious about the mileage and I'll ask the seller that question, again.

Would really appreciate the additional photo's. The one's on eBay are pretty ordinary photography. I'll send you an email so you can respond.

Thanks, again. Really appreciate the help.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD Excalibur, '94-'95 5.0 EFI, Edelbrock heads, E303 cam, 1.7RR, Cobra intake, 24lb injectors, 93 cobra ECU, 65mm TB, hi flow cats.
Not Ranked     
Default 090 additional

One other question I'd check on is the convertible top and side curtins. None of the pictures show them, but the trunk photo shows the tonneau. An ebay member asked about a convertible top and the answer said "no hard top just a covertible top." The description describes the tonneau, but makes no mention of a convertible top or side curtins. Some folks who don't know what a tonneau is call them convertible tops .

One other change (minor) that I noticed is that the wooden shift knob has been replaced with a white ball . Another more important thing I just picked up on is that it has an open valve cover breather where it originally had a sealed oil filler cap. I'm not completely sure how this affects the crankcase ventilation system, but other things being original, it might set up a large air bypass into the intake, high oil use and poor driveability. Apparently this isn't the case as the '06 engine photo shows it as well, so something else in that system must have been changed to prevent the intake sucking in air through that thing or what appears to be an open breather is actually just for looks. At any rate I'd want to know what that is all about. The current ebay engine photo also shows one of the vacume lines at the fire wall loose. That can't help either .

Mike
Old 03-17-2008, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Early Excalibur for sale

Apparently 003 is for sale (located in Milwaukee area) with a good history. Probably need to act quickly as the current owner is seriously thinking about trading it in to a dealer This is one of the first 10 cars that were hand assembled by Bob Bennett as the Excalibur factory assembly line was being set up. Reports are that these 10 cars were especially carefully built as the demonstrator and press introduction cars. Some of these are the ones actually shown in the brochures.

Mike

Edit 3/18/2008: If interested, contact the current owner Bill Meyers billmeyers@meyerselectric.com
Car is dark blue with white stripes and black interior. He can email photos and answer your questions!

Last edited by cobraduke; 03-18-2008 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: New Info
Old 03-17-2008, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Commissioned Stretched Excalibur 145 is in USA

The owner of 145, the unique stretched, specially commissioned 1996 Excalibur cobra is alive and well (actually gorgeous) and in the USA (Northeast). It is still owned by a family member of the African diplomat who commissioned it. If you'd like to see photos, they are posted at http://www.elisif.smugmug.com/gallery/3747075#215459109

If you haven't made contact to get your Excalibur listed in the registry, contact me at mduke@blinn.edu

You'll also get a spread sheet copy of those that have been located. Leads are greatly appreciated. We need more owners, data, photos, info, history Take a few moments and contribute to this effort.

Mike
Old 03-19-2008, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 090

I was just told by the current owner of 090 (via Ebay email) that he currently has an offer of $38000. I never saw it in the flesh, or drove it obviously, but the photos looked pretty good. No top, though, so that puts it in the $40,000 range for a comparable unit. Seems pretty high, but good luck to him. Just thought you'd be interested.

And I'm not really looking for black, so 099 is off my list too.

I'll keep looking! Not really in a position to travel all over the country on a whim, so I'll be looking out for something in the mid-atlantic region....could take a while, but I'm not in any hurry either.....after all, it's still cold up here in Virginia.

Laurie.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Ps.

Car 145 looks pretty sweet, but is that an automatic shifter I see? That's just not right!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 090 and 145

Laurie,
I think 145 is an automatic from the photo and I believe the seats came from a Corvette. The owner has promised me more details so there may some more surprises. I know the auto with overdrive was an option. I know of at least one other car that is confirmed to be an AOD (Blackjack near DC). It is black with a black hard top. He is on this site so you can make contact or look at photos in his gallery. He is a member of the Capital Cobra Club and may have contacts in your area.

$38K for 090 is definitely a great offer. 099 has a buy it now lowered to $27K which looks to be a great deal if the car is as good as it appears in the photos. I know of at least three others being offered at lower figures in the $30's, but none in the Mid-Atlantic area. I'll keep my antenna up and let you know if I find anything near you.

Mike
Old 03-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     
Default #003 is for sale

A good friend of mine here in wintery wisconsin owns #003.

He has it up for sale asking $35,000 OBO

Nice car. Blue with white stripes Black interior

5.0 5spd, 25,000 miles

OOPs...just noticed Cobraduke's edit

Last edited by ohekk; 03-20-2008 at 12:35 PM..
Old 03-25-2008, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     
Default door handle replacement?

I have broken the pull on my drive's side door handle. Snapped off following many years of hard pulls.

Anybody know where it came from? Cobraduke, Ohekk, Flyboy???

I know we don't need no dang door handles and I'm fine with climbing over for the time being but my wife is a bit reluctant.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Door Handle

I'm pretty sure it is a GM part, used on a number of cheaper models in the 80's. I don't have a specific part number or source. You might check with Alice Preston at Camalot Motors. Google Excalibur Motors and it will come up if you need the site. Let me know what you find out and I'll add it to the parts/info document. Seems like someone in this thread had the same or similar problem, but I never knew how it turned out.

Mike
Old 03-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to flyboy1997
Not Ranked     

I remember seeing them on other rides but can not quote any, my try would be pull & go to dealers asking if it is one of theirs or a wrecking yard.
Excal guys...... my motor has been revamped so I have alot of extras if anyone is in need..... heads,smog pump,plumbing,valve covers, cam,lifters & such,computer,F Injection stuff,water pump, ALL the Cats (4) & all exhaust plumbing & still have the wheels. Everthing with 5000 miles. Wendell

CobraDuke, will post some pics & Keith Craft Plano took the befores & afters & kept the original sidepipes & they sound GREAT after removing all the STUFF !
Old 03-26-2008, 03:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     

The door handles are a GM part.

Late 70's camaro/firebird

I
Old 03-26-2008, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Original side pipes

"will post some pics & Keith Craft Plano took the befores & afters & kept the original sidepipes & they sound GREAT after removing all the STUFF !"

Wendell,
Did you gut the inside of the side pipes or put in a replacement muffler or leave them as configured?

I have what looks like CR headers (could be another source) with a four bolt flange bolted to short high flow cats with a square four tube flange that goes to the side pipes. It sounds good, but I suspect that only two of the tubes actually function and the internal routing of the exhaust in the side pipes is original. I've been thinking of cutting them apart and gutting them or some other solution to clean up the exhaust flow. They could then be rewelded and polished. I'm a little leary of just gutting them as the car is loud enough (for me) as it is. I'm very interested in what you did.

Mike

Mike
Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, I did Notta to the sidepipes, I did remove all Cats & smog pump. It is now just pretty much a regular Cobra with real 4 tube headers using ALL 4 tubes on the sidepipes. It was using only two tubes before but it is unreal how much better it sounds now, with the K Craft Logo Valve Covers You would think it truly was his creation but just a stock 5.0 underneath. Maybe one kicker, Rob ordered the AFR 165's & used the thick flanges with adapters so larger tubes could be & was used. Sounds good but not loud .
Any chance You are coming to Austin, it will be with me since I could not finish Lonestar in time.
Wendell
Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, I did Notta to the sidepipes, I did remove all Cats & smog pump. It is now just pretty much a regular Cobra with real 4 tube headers using ALL 4 tubes on the sidepipes. It was using only two tubes before but it is unreal how much better it sounds now, with the K Craft Logo Valve Covers You would think it truly was his creation but just a stock 5.0 underneath. Maybe one kicker, Rob ordered the AFR 165's & used the thick flanges with adapters so larger tubes could be & was used. Sounds good but not loud .
Any chance You are coming to Austin, it will be with me since I could not finish Lonestar in time.
Wendell
P.S. added a few pics of car to gallery but no engine pics yet.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pipes and Austin

Wendell,
I may drop by the parking lot late Saturday afternoon. Had some other things going on. Hope to see it.

In order to open all four pipes, did it only require opening the other two tubes at the flange end (toward the headers)?

I think I have a rattle in my driver's side exhaust pipe. It may be an inner tube has come loose in the "muffler" part. At some point I'll need to get into this. Perhaps it is an easy fix, but I'm trying to think about what I do if the guts inside are shot. Chances are good I need to get into both. I want to keep the stainless casings as I like the look (just not the heat). What are you planning for the ALL American Lone Star side pipes?

Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, the sidepipes are normal 4 tube, the plate is the blank off going to two holes.
The Lonestar was custom made for me by Lonestar with large tubes, correct bends, larger tips turned out rather than
down & out & larger mufflers .

Wendell
Old 04-22-2008, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur Cobra 5.0 FI
Not Ranked     
Default Dorr Handle Info

From a previous post Sept of 05. Hope the info is good.

I FOUND THE DOOR HANDLE - - - -
DRIVERS SIDE IS: "HELP!" NUMBER 77026. IT'S FOR "G.M. VARIOUS MODELS; 1975 THRU 1996".