Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur JAC 427 5.0L
Not Ranked     
Question Removing the exhaust baffels

A couple of you mentioned you removed the baffels from the exhausts. How did you perform that little operation? How did you get the pieces out?

Rich
Old 04-06-2004, 06:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

High rpm down shifts at the road race "blew" mine out. First one side and then the other. Not intentional on my part. Sure was surprised at the increase in h.p. though, you could FEEL the difference.

Did NOT like the additional noise however. Something in between blowing them out and better flowing baffles would be nice.

Do a 4th to third downshift at high speed and you'll wind the motor up TO high when you shift down. You will either blow out the baffles or blow out the motor.

Ernie
Old 04-09-2004, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Baffeled?

Gee Ernie, that sounds a bit drastic!

Thanks to my son, I've just got my new cam in - motorsport 282 duration - sounds good! Time to take to the hiway!!!

Anybody else got an idea. PS: Found one of my manifolds cracked - you guys are right there just isn't enough support. The cost to fix it wasn't too bad - $15.

Rich
Old 04-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

$15 now,,,,,,, and another $15 in a couple of months. You keep doing that until basically the whole thing is "welds". By then maybe you'll get lucky and the baffles will fall out?

Ernie
Old 04-09-2004, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

ERNIE - - -

THAT'S CRUEL. (HEH, HEH, HREH).

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK
Old 04-09-2004, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up excalibur

hi if yall want info,,then write me own # 106 excalibur -- race it on circut---
Old 04-10-2004, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Baffles

Hi, same problems with headers all over, weld them and they crack on another place. I have mine ripped out completely, a new set is beeing fitted in at this moment.
As to the baffles: I took them out last year when we worked on the sidepipes. They look like what I tried to draw below. These things are about 60cm long. We only got them out by opening the sidepipes either on front or, as I did, on the end. There would have never been a chance of them flying out by accident as metal can`t creep around a corner
Noise increased, more gas is needed but h.p. increased too.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2004, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Baffels

Okay, I bow to community wisdom and will start looking for a local guru! All the weight on those cheesy (is that why you called them Mickey Mouse ? ) headers, no wonder they break!

Thanks for the drawing Aloys!! I think I can see what I need to do!

Got my new cam installed and love it.

Rich
Old 04-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

By the way, those baffles are among the most restrictive ever put on a replica. As the cars were DOT approved and Fed exempt I suspect it had to do with some kind of legal requirement for noise. LOT of h.p. to be gained cleaning up the exhaust, from the headers all the way through the side pipes.

Don Scott, Classic Roadsters, has everything you need to change it out. First thing I did was dump the catalytic converters, by the way. Then the baffles, I could big time FEEL the increase in power!
Old 04-16-2004, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Former Excalibur Cobra assembly worker here!

Hey guys! I just wanted to drop in a here for a little to see if any info, pics or brouchers I have for the Excalibur Cobra could help ya?

I worked on the Cobra assembly line at Excalibur for 3 years and help build about 160 cars.

I have some factory Excalibur Cobra brouchers that I would be willing to sell to guys here..

I also have MANY pictures of the Cobra assembly process....I even have some of the "one off" Cobra we built that was 18 inches longer than a standard Excal Cobra.....

Last edited by DynoTom; 04-16-2004 at 09:51 PM..
Old 04-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Way cool DynoTom, welcome aboard.

TODAY, like hours ago, I picked up my ERA. Of course I immediatly began to compare it to the Excal. I gotta say, the Excal certainly can hold it's head up high. In over all build quality fit and finish the Excal has to be among the best out there. No question my Excal overall LOOKS better than this ERA.

That said, the freakin' 600 horse 427 is blowing my mind. The thing is incredibly quick. The ride is MUCH smoother than the Excal, but the cockpit is WAY smaller,,,,,,, I miss that extra room.

Two different cars, both with interesting features, I wouldn't mind haveing BOTH of them!

Ernie
Old 04-16-2004, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by ohekk

Jack,

My research indicates only two left the factory so equiped.

If I remember correctly only 1 Excal Cobra "left" the factory with the KB supercharger on it......they did make 2 cars that had the KB supercharger option but,one of them had the supercharger removed and a standard hood put on it as the buyer wanted us to do that....
Old 04-16-2004, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Excaliber

Rear brakes are probably stock Ford units. BUT what year, model, etc. remains a mystery!

Ernie
Those rear brakes were from a Ford Thunderbird....I installed 100s of them on the 8.8 axles for the Excal Cobras we built....
Old 04-16-2004, 11:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Brakes

DynoTom,
got any idea where the rear brakes/shoes on a 9. axle came from? Motor is from 95
Old 04-16-2004, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't recall much about the 9" axles used in the Cobras but,I do know the center sections came from Currie Enterprises and there is some chance that the housings may have been Curries too?

I drove the red Supercharged magazine Cobra,the 32 Valve R & D Cobra (with no body on it) and I have pics here of me driving the "one off" Cobra we had to stretch for the Ambassador to the U.N. from Africa....
Old 04-18-2004, 05:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     
Default Welcome aboard DynoTom!

It's GREAT to hear from you and we welcome any other tid bits of info.

Have you been by the plant lately? It's GONE!

I had an opportunity to visit, talk and watch John B. as he did the final assembly on that 32 valve R&D Cobra.

That is quite the engineering feat!

I believe that car is still here in Milw.

Let's get together and talk...would love to see the pictures and brochures.

Last edited by ohekk; 04-18-2004 at 05:10 AM..
Old 04-18-2004, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Over the years at Excalibur we all had some good times there!

I really enjoyed building those cars....I was a line worker that worked all the assembly stations....I spent most of the time in "final test" where each car was driven around 50-100 miles total. I did also help out with some of the work on the 32-V 4.6 Cobra but,all of the work I did on it was after regular Cobra production was over....

In fact, the hood design on the 32-V Cobra was brought to the design guys by me.....They were considering a "cowl type" hood for the 32-V Cobra but, I told them that a "cowl hood" was not really in keeping with the Shelby Cobra traditional look most Cobra owners would want?

I thought a hood that would be fitting to the Cobra look and still get the added height to clear the tall intake on a 4.6 DOHC would be one like the Shelby Cobra 427 Twin SuperChraged cars used?

I brought in a issue of a Musclecar Review magazine I had that had the Shelby 427 Twin Blown car artical and they design team really liked the look of the hood it used and decided to make the 32-V 4.6 Excalibur Cobra hood just like it.....

In the 32-V 4.6 Cobra hood layout process I knew that they had made the right choice and I was glad I suggested that style hood for the car.....that "cowl hood" would have really been a mistake I think......

I did take a ride by the Excalibur factory about a week ago...they were about 1/2 done with the knock down and it was pretty sad to see that place going away.....I still "keep in touch" with the guys I worked with there......I know where about 75% of the the old line workers are today......we were a good team that made some pretty neat cars......
Old 04-18-2004, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1996 Orange Excalibur (#128), 5.0 running gear
Not Ranked     

Hi Tom, Just checked my numbers. M123128, 5.0 mustang, 5 speed, Orange with black stripes. Someone along this thread said that they had an owners manual. If it could be scanned in to an E-mail able file that would be great. I'd be interested in a copy. Hope you get more people to reply. DQ
Old 04-18-2004, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by DQMQ

Hi Tom, Just checked my numbers. M123128, 5.0 mustang, 5 speed, Orange with black stripes.

I have a picture of your car sitting in the factory just after it was built.....It's a front shot of it along the side of the assembly line.......
Old 04-18-2004, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How would I post some pics here?

I can put some up if you guys want to see them?

Last edited by DynoTom; 04-18-2004 at 09:00 PM..