28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     
Default 1966 GT Mustang K code on ebay BEWARE!

Just FYI on this car: Ford : Mustang Ford : Mustang | eBay

I drove 641 miles to purchase this car a week ago. Needless to say I didn't and wanted to share my findings. The collector car community is a great one and I just don't want to see anyone blindsided by this one. Yes, the car is rare. Yes, the car has a "Hi Po" motor (hard to say internally) but missing the carb, dist, exhaust manifolds, intake, and GT fog lights, correct transmission, and correct rear end. Yes, the car has potential BUT only as a donor car or a parts car!

Upon arriving I noticed the front tires and the lack of "negative" camber in the right front wheel. Mmm. The left side was normal. The car ended up having front frame damage on both sides front of the shock towers. The motor even sat crooked because of this. I presume it took a rather hard impact to the lower control arm area as also evident in the right side door pillar was all mangled up. The car was to have "perfect" floor pans, the drivers side patch panel riveted was "he forgot to mention". Any other rust than in the lower Qtr's, "nope", forgot about the rust bubbles all down the side of the doors, the right interior door rusted through to the inside (golf ball size), the cowls are rusted through, the back glass area is rusted out too (the aluminum screen for bondo support was a dead give away)! How is the sheet metal besides the rear Qtr's? "Great", well it will need the full Qtr's, outer wheel housings, trunk drop offs, rear valence, tail panel patch, both doors, hood, trunk lid, lower cowl support, driver side floor patch, and front end grill assembly. I Didn't even try to crank or drive it!

He also owns a 65 Fastback so he should be well aware of Mustangs and their issues. He had the Fastback sitting right next to this car so it was even more apparent when side by side! I made him aware of all the things I've found and spoken of here. He said he knew nothing of any of this at all? He acted not shocked but rather "dumb" to the whole thing. I offered $5000 for the car and he said no. He said he had no lower price in mind that he would be willing to take? That was even higher than what my Mustang experts told me to offer!!

I'm not trying to stir anything up but to only protect our fellow car guys and gals! It makes me sick to think someone will actually bid on this car and then find out just HOW bad they got screwed! I wasted $200 in gas, trailer rental, and a 17 HR day for this car! I'm glad to know that it didn't just sell "right away" as others must have seen the problems too. It's the buyers that don't see it in person that I'm trying to warn. This car will need a whole donor car and or re-body (but I didn't say that .

Best Regards, Matt

Last edited by FIA-ERA; 05-17-2012 at 06:07 AM..
Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Thanks for posting, Matt. This kind of crap really torques me. With all the Mustang knowledge out there it is hard to believe people still try to get away with blatant dishonesty. I just sold my 1967 Mustang convertible that had needed significant, but not overwhelming rust repair. I tried to be as honest as possible and the guy who came to pick it up said, "wow, just as advertized", like it was a big surprise. Here's a link to my ad:

Ford : Mustang Ford : Mustang | eBay
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

HA! I wanted your car!! I was the second "higest" bidder! Our conversation about your car was spot on to my posting. You were completely honest and forthcoming with your description. I knew exactly what I was getting into with your car and was ready for that. We had a GREAT conversation and I really thought I was going to get it. I confess, I pouted for days after losing the bid! I went Monday to look at another one a 67 Mustang Fastback Shelby Clone. UNBELIEVABLE!! I couldn't believe the bastardized, chop shop, bondo, butchered, car this guy said was perfect to go. They even cut the drip rails off! Can't fix that!!

I was so incredibly disappointed after seeing that coupe on Saturday that it I sent him an email, of course no response. If he does sell it with no disclosure, he'd better move and get off the grid because someone will be after him. It's unfortunate!

Great to see you here and I wish it could have work out for us! I had my Miller out just yesterday getting it warmed up again. All the best! Matt
Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

not to hijack this post, but if interested, I have a 65 coupe with a 302/5spd for sale, decent shape, runs well
for pics and more info emihu2000@yahoo.com
Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Damn, Matt, I wondered if that was you! As I said at the time, I wish it went to you. The guy that bought it was nice enough, but didn't really have the kind of experience I would like to see. Sorry you didn't get it, buddy, something will come up.

I put my first 50 miles on the Kirkham today. God, I love this car! Only problem once I fixed the loose hose clamp I forgot to tighten on the lower radiator hose was the new red Holley fuel pump. The piece of crap stopped working once while I was on the highway doing 70 going to get my safety inspection. Everything checked out, but I noticed the voltmeter would drop slightly everytime I flipped the swich on. Jammed pump. I let it cool down and then flipped the switch on and off until what ever was jamming it passed. Got it running with no further problem, but the fuel pressure was bouncing around, so I have a new pump on order. Do these Holley red pumps ever work right?
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
Do these Holley red pumps ever work right?
About 18 years on mine...
Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excellent, Chas, thanks!
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 05-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

mreid,

I envy you, and miss my Kirkham dearly. The first 50 miles are great, and so are the last.

I will “warn” you about the Holley Reds….mine did the exact same thing….for years on end, until finally failing altogether. It was impossible to predict when it would happen, but it always did. Not sure what the problem was, but the mode of failure was the rotor finally going completely off-kilter and jamming against the side of the housing. Didn’t see significant dirt in there.

I always kept a spare.

Enjoy the car!!

GREAT cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
Damn, Matt, I wondered if that was you! As I said at the time, I wish it went to you. The guy that bought it was nice enough, but didn't really have the kind of experience I would like to see. Sorry you didn't get it, buddy, something will come up.

I put my first 50 miles on the Kirkham today. God, I love this car! Only problem once I fixed the loose hose clamp I forgot to tighten on the lower radiator hose was the new red Holley fuel pump. The piece of crap stopped working once while I was on the highway doing 70 going to get my safety inspection. Everything checked out, but I noticed the voltmeter would drop slightly everytime I flipped the swich on. Jammed pump. I let it cool down and then flipped the switch on and off until what ever was jamming it passed. Got it running with no further problem, but the fuel pressure was bouncing around, so I have a new pump on order. Do these Holley red pumps ever work right?

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 05-18-2012, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

Mark, I have the red Holley that came from our Kirkham if you want it as a back up. I can ship it to you