14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby 3 part mini-series to air, start May 20

Shelby mini-series to air this weekend. Here is the press release announcing a 3 part mini series on Shelby's life, starting Sunday, May 20. Could be some great photos and video.

Velocity To Pay Tribute to the Legendary Carroll Shelby in Three-Part Mini-Series Event

-- KING OF THE ROAD: CARROL SHELBY to Premiere Sunday, May 20th at 8:00 PM --

This May, Velocity pays homage to an automotive legend in the definitive profile of America's car king, Carroll Shelby. A pioneer in racing and automotive design, Shelby put America on the map in a racing culture long dominated by European drivers and styles. In honor of his recent passing, Velocity presents the world premiere mini-series KING OF THE ROAD: CARROLL SHELBY, debuting Sunday May 20th at 8:00 p.m. Eastern.

The three part series will follow Shelby's exploits as a hard-working Texas farmer all the way to the victory lane at Lemans, where he became the first American to take home the cup. After his racing career came to an abrupt halt, Shelby would partner with Ford to create two of the most iconic muscle cars to date. Velocity takes you on an exclusive journey, unveiling Shelby's irreplaceable legacy on car culture.

Part I – World Premiere Sunday May 20th at 8:00 PM
The exploits of the hard charging Texas farmer turned racer are explored. From his humble early stages, Carroll Shelby takes on and conquers the world of international sports car racing at Le Mans and builds the most iconic American sports car, the Cobra.

Part II - World Premiere Sunday May 20th at 9:00 PM
Carroll Shelby teams with Ford Motor Company in 1965 and transforms the Mustang into a true race car; the GT 350. Four decades after the original GT 350, Shelby builds a new GT 350 with Ford's latest Mustang.

Part III - World Premiere Sunday May 20th at 10:00 PM
Borrowing the concept from his original Shelby Mustang GT 500 of the 1960's, Shelby and Ford build a boulevard brute with Ford's new big block Mustang. Shelby American transforms the new Shelby Mustang GT 500 into the world's fastest production Mustang.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is any other network picking this up like Speed or Spike?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

Velocity is part of the Discovery Channel group and I think it's a HD channel only. Here is their website, I haven't looked at it much, but might be some answers for those that don't get the channel. Hope so.

Velocity Channel Videos

Wayne
Old 05-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Series Schedule - Velocity Channel
Old 05-18-2012, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2920 w/ Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

thanks. should be good.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 1967 / Roush 402R
Neutral     

For those on Dish TV network, depending on your package, they carry Velocity HD on channel 5710. Not sure why it is out in the boonies and doesn't have a show guide, but it is there (also says "TEST" as the channel name?!).
Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Watched the series last night. Mostly good especially the first segment.

Last two segments almost seemed like an infomerical for the GT350 and SS and gave many of the other cars short shrift. I understand why but it would have been better in my mind to spend more time on all the cars in the second segment and perhaps focus on the GT350 and SS in the last. Many cars were given short shrift and some not even mentioned. i.e. the King Cobra, Sunbeam Tiger etc...

CS was involved with may cool and significant cars beyond the GT350 and SS.

There was also zero mention of CS involvemnt in Trans Am, his involvement with the Viper (unless I fell asleep and missed it).

Was good but could have been better.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000 w/CSXblock
Not Ranked     

Real 1, my thoughts exactly.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I watched all three episodes last night. I thought it was going to be a tribute to CS. But it seemed more like a Ford commercial.

In the last decade, CS has irritated quite a few people. Or, rather, his lawyers have. But he was a very interesting man. Although his greatest public achievement might be the Cobra and Mustangs, he did more than that.

I expected to see more of his military time - test pilot and flight instructor.

I wanted to hear about his "adventures" in Africa.

And some info on his charity organization would have been interesting, too. Would have been good for the charity, too.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 05-21-2012, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I watched the first segment over the weekend and at the end I could swear I saw a copyright or production date of 2011 when the credits rolled. Has that not been aired before? I had seen much of it.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Tribute

I was running my GT last May at Willow Springs and they were shooting scenes for this series. I think that making it a tribute to Carroll was not originally planned so it was not done as well as it could have been. The first segment was excellent. I agree that the last two segments were an informercial for Shelby Mustangs. What a set up, invite a group of guys to come and race their cars against a Mustang that was developed on your home track driven by a guy who has literally thousands of laps on that track. I wonder how well it would fare on another track against the same cars with drivers of equal skill?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Cobra #3170 I agree with you on the home track ringer and obvious advantage but you gotta give the car itself some credit. 600+ Hp and high dollar suspension and brakes to match, it just looked "RIGHT". I liked the segments on the various aspects of the Borla exhaust systems. It was faster by nearly 4 seconds, needless to say that's huge. The GT350 Rocked!

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner of both Superformance #2666 Roush 427IR and Superformance #1601 Ford Crate 460CI - 486 HP 510 ft\lbs TQ
Not Ranked     

While they might not have lived up to all our expectations. Can't wait until there develop a Blu Ray version of the show for sale to the public. Maybe We will get some extras we thought were missing... One can only hope...
Old 05-24-2012, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Rinsey Mills covered the African stuff in his book

Yes, somewhere in that 500-page book there's all too many pages on Shelby's
African adventure, so I couldn't really tell what countries he was in, what game he shot,
what game he had licenses on, why it all ended etc. The book is on Amazon.com It's called CARROLL SHELBY The Authorized Biography.

The story of the Series I (Olds powered car) debacle is in Eric Davison's book
Snake Bit. It might be in Peter Bryant's book but I don't know the title and haven't seen the book.