28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Help, need identification, AP SCCA?

Hi, can anyone I.D. this car from the attached photo of a model kit and a profile drawing?

I ran across one place saying this is an AP SCCA car. If such a car existed, I sure haven't been able to find any historical photos of it. It seems to be a 427 body and I'm just curious to know a bit more about the original car:

Can any of you please point me towards any photos and history of the car?

Also, "AP" = 'A' Production? Apologies in advance, but I'm not familiar with this term.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 06-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

AP or A Production is the SCCA class that the car would have raced in. Don't know if the car ever existed.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

What that looks most like, to me, is a model of Lewis Downs' replica Cobra that used to have the small sticker on the windshield saying "Warning - Kopec in trunk." Lewis' car had the same AP markings and yellow stripes as this car.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

A few years ago when I ran my replica in SCCA autocross, it was in the A Prepared (AP) class. That was a class for highly modified cars.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the help and explanations so far guys.

Also just ran across this related to the model and it's saying USRRC for 1966. I know the middle car existed, but would sure like to know where they got their references for the top and bottom cars... as I cannot find hyde nor hair to authenticate those two. It's supposed to be the model manufacturer's "Version A" along with their Version B and C, of which those versions do seem to match up with existing cars... so their research on these Version A cars may be accurate, but it just seems odd that there's no photos to be found on the internet anywhere.

If these cars were some flight of fancy on the part of the model manufacturer, they will usually identify as such, but I can't find any authentication in that direction either.

Sorry, my paper refs on Cobras are thin.

Last edited by JB74; 06-06-2012 at 11:34 PM..
Old 06-07-2012, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think the USRRC cars were all 289's. I'm not sure the model's pictured ever really existed.
Larry
Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Decal sheets made in Japan are not often accurate as to historical race cars, especially American race cars. They are usually taken from photos off the net and sold as such. Visit ScaleMotorsport.com or V-R-M.com for accurate decals. You may also want to research issues of the now defunct 'Motor Racing Replica News', later named 'Motor Racing Models' for accurate vintage livery and model availability. They had many articles and photos of racing Cobras from the sixties. Scale Coachworks had a 1/24 scale resin FIA Cobra kit, but it's very hard to find these days. A company in Japan also does a 1/24 scale FIA Cobra in resin, but it's quite expensive at about $250. From the looks of that model pictured, it's the resin kit Japan.

Last edited by ZOERA-SC7XX; 06-07-2012 at 09:08 AM..