28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think that no matter how grumpy, most of us DO give a ship about helping guys, including one Big Pain In The Ass, dressed in beige.
Buzz for instance, did a really nice thing for the OP with his experience.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
I think that no matter how grumpy, most of us DO give a ship about helping guys, including one Big Pain In The Ass, dressed in beige.
Buzz for instance, did a really nice thing for the OP with his experience.
Lol - Chas, I just reread my post and I was thinking I probably bored the poor fella to death with my rambling and irelevant details!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

That was an excellent post Buzz. Read every word and enjoyed it.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

A/S65,

reading your former post about Unique, you will not go wrong with either car or company. I second everyone's comments about the Weaver's too at Unique. They are truly good people. The visual stuff you are talking about is partially due to the differential width, some illusion, and how the wheels and tires are set under the car and the profile and height of the car front to rear. I made subtle changes to my former Unique and some thought it was an ERA when it was finished. You can make either car look great.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA street version
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Lol - Chas, I just reread my post and I was thinking I probably bored the poor fella to death with my rambling and irelevant details!
Nope not at all Buzz, great story about your quest for a Cobra.

And I will have to disagree with you Patrick, on the not giving a s@#t comment. Allen, wolf k, Pdub, have taken the time to offer to talk to me on the phone, and or come check out thier cars. And everyone else whos offered thier insight into the ownership of the brands I inquired about, thank you. Its all been very helpfull.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:16 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
The ERA owners are doing a great job of vouching for their chosen brand, and rightfully so. Beyond a lot of research and consultation, my experience with ERA...
I would like to know more about the mysterious death of the original owner, and whether the British widow had a relationship with the "local friend." And, exactly how did the second owner get in hot water with the local girl and her family? I'm thinking that maybe the British widow was trying to sell the love child on the international black market, but the drug-smuggling brother-in-law found out about it all and told the grandmother, who really runs the operation. Yep, your island is better than the new Dallas.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/S65 View Post
Lippy enjoy the build time with your kids. That time together will make some priceless memories. Just remind them whats said in the garage stays in the garage...

I totally agree with you on the original look of the ERA, it has the right lines, the right stance, and all the other details look right.

The Unique on the other hand, "droopy butt", rear wheel openings dont look correct, lower rockers dont have the correct curve, the car sits low, the side pipes are tucked tighter into the rocker. Frankly I didnt realy notice that until I was talking to Allen, I knew something was different but couldnt put my finger on it. The reason is the car looks right to me. Not correct, but visually these differances make the car look tighter. And there lies my conflict. Do I put my money into the more period looking car? or the one I personaly find more visually appealing. (retorical question)
You are exactly where I was when I started looking, except I was looking for a 427 car. I too had narrowed it down to Unique and ERA. Unique had the early advantage due to the cost factor, but then I went to Carlisle and saw each car in person and had an opportunity to compare them side by side. IMO, the rear of the 427 ERA just had a nicer look than the 427 Unique. The tires filled out the rear fenders better and the rear was just was fuller, rounder and curvier and it just sat right. Yes, I am still talking about cars. I promptly sent my deposit check to Peter when I got home from Carlisle.

The intersting thing is I view Unique's 289 and 427 differently. I actually like their 289 car much more than I like the look of their 427 car. If we're talking 427 cars, I think ERA has significant advantage in the looks department, but if we're talking 289 cars, I think ERA still looks better than Unique's 289 car, although not by much.

You can't go wrong with either car or company, both are great. As someone else said, get which ever car you like the most and what fits your budget best. If you don't have the cash right now to do exactly what you want with it, you can always upgrade over time.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 07-19-2012, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Troy:
I am new to this forum and a long time Unique owner. In 1992 I purchased a Unique 289 FIA deluxe pallet kit after seeing all the mfg's at a Kit Car show in Cincinnati. I had virtually no experience, but assembled the car including body work and paint prep in about 6 months.The results were remarkable due mainly to the simplicity and high level of factory finish. The manual is brief since most assembly has been completed. I drove the car that year to the Unique Cobra Fest in Alabama and have been doing so every year since. I can tell you that after 65K miles and countless 400+ mile drives in all types of weather, the car is totally reliable, comfortable and a great driver. I am posting this reply not only to give testimony to the Unique product, but to the Weaver family which has been such a large part of the Cobra experience. It you do come to Ct. I would welcome a visit. In any event, you cannot make a bad choice here and I hope I have added more things to consider.

Tom
Old 07-19-2012, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom thanks for the testamony, and welcome from another new guy. 65000 miles...thats good to know, because thats what I want this car for. You must be one of the guys Paul was telling me about that drives to the Homecoming every year from up there. Where abouts in CT are you from?
Old 07-19-2012, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Portland, Ct Dead center of the state about 20 min from ERA
Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds to me like you're a candidate for the ERA 289 Slabside. Jim Holden has one and he tours in it as you might.
Have you considered it??
Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have to admit normally Im a pretty compulsive person when it comes to cars.
This thread has gone on so long that I've forgotten how much work you are intending to do yourself or how much turn-key you are anticipating. I'm pretty cumpulsive also and I have to warn you that this trait can extend your build period if you intend on doing most of the work yourself. I'm going on 2-1/2 years and hope to be up and running before I hit 3 yrs on the build. I find building a car consists of a thousand little jobs and if you obsess over each one seeking perfection or close to it - expect it to be awhile before you are tooling down the road. If you go with ERA add 6 - 8 months on to that for their fabrication time. Right now - I'm hoping I'm still limber enough to get in this thing when I get finished.

Dan
Old 07-19-2012, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chaz I in fact have thought about the slabside. But there is no getting around the fact that I prefer the aggressive look of the comp car.

Oops I meant to say impulsive, but I can be compulsive too. ;D
Dan, I plan on doing all the work myself, minus machine work on the engine.
Initially I was looking at getting the complete roller minus paint, to help shave some build time, but now am looking at saving a buck or two here and there where I can. This is where the simplicity and price of the Unique shines through. And I think I just came to a conclusion.

Last edited by A/S65; 07-19-2012 at 09:44 AM..
Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Chaz I in fact have thought about the slabside. But there is no getting around the fact that I prefer the aggressive look of the comp car.

Oops I meant to say impulsive, but I can be compulsive too. ;D
Dan, I plan on doing all the work myself, minus machine work on the engine.
Initially I was looking at getting the complete roller to help shave some build time, but now am looking at saving a buck or two here and there where I can. This is where the simplicity and price of the Unique shines through.
Yes, I kind of hated to say that outright because I love my ERA. But that is one point I suspect somewhat in favor of Unique.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

A/S 65:
My answer will be a compound answer so bear with me:
Unique-I have no knowledge on how these cars are done but a quick browse of their site they seem to be quite nice.
ERA-that was my first choice when I decided to buy a Cobra, about 6 years ago I visited the factory in New Britain CT and got a tour of the factory and how are these cars made in detail. I was very impressed, knowing how the original Cobras were built, ERA are one of the most loyal to that design that I could found. Unfortunately the price is a determining factor many times and 2nd- fitting. The prices of ERA has gone off the charts at times, I don't know if this is justified or not. Fitting, I am a 260lb 6'1" guy and fitting comfort is a big factor to me. Fitting in an ERA for 2hrs was not comfortable, neither it was in an original Cobra then.

Having said this (I will probably get shot for this) but I bought a West Coast Cobra. The body is 6" longer and 4" wider, the cockpit is a dream when we talk comfort, the wheel base difference makes this car a delight to drive (2800lbs).

I am not looking to race my car, but if I did I would not mind racing this baby, I have one with a true 427 side oiler and it has 520hp at the rear wheels and more torque than I will ever need.

The lines of the car are sexier (IMHO) and flow better and wider. If you are a purist and want a car looking as close as the real thing go for the ERA or Unique. If you are looking for comfort Go for WCC.

Now before you do this, go to the New York Dealer for West Coast Cobras; Perry Adams and don't go to the website home office, you will be disappointed. Perry will take care of you 1st class. (perrya77@hotmail.com) and deal with him.

Go to my albums of the Lake George Cobra Run 2012 and you will see both my car and Perry's there.
I hope that I did not bore you too much but I must be trutful and loyal to my car.
Cheers and good luck
Lou (Basque1)
PS
The Black one is mine and the blue one id Perry's
Old 07-19-2012, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lou I appreciate your sentiments about your WCC. Ive had my mind set on a 289 car for quite some time, and was trying to figure out which of the two would best suit me, and it appears I have finally come to that conclusion.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAsque1 View Post
Having said this (I will probably get shot for this) but I bought a West Coast Cobra. The body is 6" longer and 4" wider, the cockpit is a dream when we talk comfort, the wheel base difference makes this car a delight to drive (2800lbs).
Naah, it's like I wrote to the OP. You build these cars to suit yourself; no one else. If I thought otherwise, I wouldn't have gone beige with dual roll bars.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 357 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I’ve built two Unique Motorcars 289 Cobras. Both were built to be examples of the 289 USRRC cars. My first was built in 1993 and I drove it for 13 years. The second was built in 2005 and I am still driving it. Every year I drive from Connecticut to Gadsden, Alabama in the Cobra. I drive it. Trailers are for boats.

As for “original”, even Ol’ Shel himself didn’t build his “continuation" Cobras using the same antiquated materials and assembly methods that were available in the day. I’ve probably got close to 100,000 miles in the driver’s seat of these cars. My current car is pretty well tricked out with modern features that are hidden in various ways.

In the end it’s your car, build it to enjoy. Life’s short DRIVE IT.

It's all in the detail.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike out of curiosity, are there any pics of your car on the Unique site? Or would you mind posting a.pic of it? Theres a couple on there particularly that kept drawing me back for a closer look into Unique.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I would like to know more about the mysterious death of the original owner, and whether the British widow had a relationship with the "local friend." And, exactly how did the second owner get in hot water with the local girl and her family? I'm thinking that maybe the British widow was trying to sell the love child on the international black market, but the drug-smuggling brother-in-law found out about it all and told the grandmother, who really runs the operation. Yep, your island is better than the new Dallas.
There actually was a bit of intrigue involved in the plane crash, but as for the rest I'm sure nothing I could type can live up to the feverent spurtings of your imagination; so carry on and please fill in the blanks. I for one can't wait to see how it all turns out.
Fullchat289 likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...