21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Tbuttrick,

I'll add that the thread diameter on the F1 car in your picture appears much smaller in diameter than the usual Cobra setup, so it would need less torque than a Cobra, but even so, with a 3 foot wrench, it is not that hard to produce a bunch of torque with a 'yank' from a single arm. Still would be less than a large diameter Cobra knock-off would need...

As far as the Olthoff video, two things to consider. The amount of force a hammer produces, when swung and then stopped in a short distance is huge. I could go into the equations of kinetic energy (KE = 1/2 x mass x velocity squared) being converted into force as it is decellerated (KE = Force x distance), but a quick inspection of the equations should convince you that when the distance gets small, the force gets very large. Further, during an impact shock, the friction (which drives the .2 constant in the torque equations above) is instantaneously reduced to a very low value. This means that a small 'constant' torque will tighten a festener adequately, if it is accompanied by a impact shock. These two things make the hammer method decieving in terms of thinking about an equivalent applied wrench torque and lead you to think a small wrench torque will achieve the same result.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Tbuttrick,

You may want to brush up on your Engineering. You, however are right that a 10 foot diameter wheel would need a larger knock-off than a normal wheel (but the effect is linear and not exponential). It would also have to apply way more clamp force. This is why knock- offs are not typically used on giant dump trucks, they require way more torque and clamping force. Look at how many studs giant dump trucks use. Neither this nor the two-by-four example have anything to do with applied fastener torque producing preload. All you are saying is that a bigger wheel needs a bigger bolt - true, but it will also need more torque applied to produce enough preload.

You may not be a physicist, but you are not an Engineer either. This stuff is Engineering 101 and there is really no magic here.

Believe me or not, but if you put 70 ft-lb on your knock-offs, you will not like the result. You have been warned.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

um, sorry but I are an Engineer. I even have my own choo-choo train and thanks for the warning. Now that you've shown us how big your giggle stick is, I'm a degreed EE so even though this type of ME application may be a bit foreign to me, I'm still calling BS on your theory and whether or not it applies here. Short strokes with a lead hammer holding the handle close to the head as depicted in Dennis' video, will NOT produce the kind of force needed to achieve 350ft/lbs. of torque with the thread pitch we're assuming is common on hubs. Tell me I'm wrong. It defies logic.

Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tbuttrick,

You're wrong.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK. You win.. U-N-C-L-E Gosh, I gotta get some self esteem.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Interesting. I've never seen engineers comparing wee-wees before.............
Old 09-04-2012, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Interesting. I've never seen engineers comparing wee-wees before.............
LOL! and are those yours in your avitar? Dude, you got me. You win. BTW, I'd stopped the BDR booth at LimeRock and spoke to Jay. He's done one hell of job at Vintage Motorsports. That Coyote enabled BDR is tough to walk away from.

Last edited by TButtrick; 09-04-2012 at 06:42 PM..
Old 09-11-2012, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking The guy with the large socket......

Had the best idea! It works, and if you go slow you wont hurt anything.

When I bought my gt40 the guy must have hammered the sh-t out of the spinners and didnt use enough anti-seize. I tried for HOURS hammering in the right direction and could NOT get them loose. I bought a big truck socket, cut the notches in it, lined the cuts with split fuel line (to protect the finish in the spinners), attatched a 3ft breaker bar with a 4 foot extension, and broke them loose!!!

After that experience I had 3inch lug nuts made up to replace the spinners, and use a 1inch truck impact to install and remove. No muss no fuss!

Screw those spinners, never again!! Scott
Old 09-22-2012, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     
Default spinner tool

Well I must admit I did not think I would ever use my spinner tool.
The other day I used it to help a tight spinner nut, after a good clean of both nut and hub I coated the hub threads with anti seize and used the spinner tool to help the nut on and off now it goes on by hand.
Must say it worked well.
Attached Images

Bxx1 likes this.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tork striker .com
spinn-r-tool .com
Old 06-01-2013, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SECA View Post
Tork striker .com
spinn-r-tool .com
Tork striker price on website, $615 bucks, NO THANKS, lead hammer $30 bucks, YES PLEASE...
Old 06-02-2013, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

All you needis the American hammer lead hammer

After removing them for the first time use anti seize on the threads and mating surface of the spinner to wheel and you won't have any problems again

There is a. Good video about removal but more importantly install that will tell you when they are right enough so you don't over tighten
Old 06-11-2013, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Vintage Wheels spinner tool

Hi Folks
We will soon launch our own version of a spinner remover /install tool - pictures and prices soon !!
Features will include dog ears to prevent tool slipping off , ACH Polymer inserts to prevent spinner damage and it can be used with hub spindle end caps in place. More details to follow
Bob Lacey Vintage Wheels 1 888 339 7572 Vintage Wheels, Hot Rod and Muscle car