LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
Listen- This thread will have a lot of info, requests and suggestions added over time and will probably become a sticky.

Do not, please, litter the thread with crosstalk posts or side conversations.

From now on, Moderators will simply delete without explanation any post that does not add value to the thread.

Thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Was hoping to see something like this to be fair and give all brands any chance at all has to be without bias.Will certainly be watching to see how well this thread developes.
A guide like this would have made picking a kit car Co less of a gauntlet back when I first started thinking about building a car.Still have "The Big Guide to Cobra Kits and Parts by Steve Temple 1999.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Oh my, Buzz this is a perfect example of why its better to ask for forgiveness later than to ask for permission up front. Just do it.

BTW, I would be glad to gather up tech details on the Lonestars, just let me know.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Buzz...bravo buddy. As Ron said...this thread's gonna be kept nice and clean.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
Listen- This thread will have a lot of info, requests and suggestions added over time and will probably become a sticky.

Do not, please, litter the thread with crosstalk posts or side conversations.

From now on, Moderators will simply delete without explanation any post that does not add value to the thread.

Thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Thanks Ron:
The bickering and sidebars are too distracting from the main idea. Let me know when my input on WCC is needed. Send me a PM and a format and I will do my best to provide the info devoid of bias editorial comments.
Sincerely
Lou(Basque1)
Old 07-28-2012, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

I think it would be great if we could put together and add pictures in the individual Cobra file so it could be easily identified for those who are trying to know more about an identify a particular replicas manufacturer. The pictures would be made of the area of the Cobra that would make it easier to identify.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I have stored a spreadsheet of Cobras here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzD...UFDTXRHb3ZuMzQ

or here:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzD...UFDTXRHb3ZuMzQ

You can view this spreadsheet online with Google spreadsheet or go to file and download the file to your computer and open it with Excel. The first column is the original Cobra. Each column has another model (Superformance, ERA, Kirkham, etc) with the replica's specific dimension or description. Please update the manufacturer of your choice and email it to me at WFridrich@comcast.net and I will update the spreadsheet at the link.

Please remember this is a draft and work in progress. If you want to add a new criteria, dimension or spec, please feel free to do so and send it to me. Please avoid words like "best" or "heavy duty" and be more specific. I expect I will know what everyone thinks about this based on the response. If no one responds I'll know.... Thanks!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Nice! Glad you found a place for it.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron, Brent

As this project gains in information, it's utility is likley to diminish if the information remains structured by a spreadsheet. Give thought to using this site as a route to a data base that is amenable to query. For example, asking which manufacturer provides the option to adjust the pedal location relative to the driver's seat can be answered by scrolling through what will become a wealth of data, reading row by row, or using a well designed interface to allow a reader to query the pertinent information. Just the scale of the spreadsheet will discourage many from looking for the answer to their question, jus as many are reluctant to wade through page after page of posts, even those that are already grouped under a theme or topic.

The search utility on this site works well. I may be mistaken in thinking this capability will not extend to a spreadsheet embedded in a post. Either way, the potential scale of what is only now gaining interest will, over the course of the next few months, prove unmanageable if left configured as a spreadsheet. A well engineered data base will permit what is proving to be an exciting opportunity realize the potential those who support the effort believe it can have.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

On reading my reply to this post I have discovered my example is exactly the sort of one-dimensional question that can be answered, using a spreadsheet. Not for the first time I typed without thinking through what I needed to say. Here is a sample of a query that cannot yield useful results if it is asked of a spreadsheet:

Which constructor offers a replica of the 427 Cobra that (1) allows for adjusting the pedal box AND (2) allows for roll bars to protect the driver and passenger?

A spreadsheet will force the reader to read constructor after constructor, looking for, firstly, an instance of adjustable pedal box followed by asking of these constructors, which replica allows for two roll bars. If I have my example right, the tedium of doing this will be apparent and you will agree that it is enough to discourage readers from using the spreadsheet to query for information that meets the questioners need. The pedal box and roll bars options are not engineered together; they come to be grouped by the person who wishes to narrow his choice of constructor, using a criterion the questioner has constructed.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cassani View Post
I may be mistaken in thinking this capability will not extend to a spreadsheet embedded in a post.
You are correct; the search engine deals with text in posts, not links or attachments.

We are not currently in a position to create, manage, update and administer a searchable data base with queries.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Yup...Ward had already looked into what we could do here...the google option works for now (development stage) and probably best having a gatekeeper decide what goes on the spreadsheet IMO.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Hurricane Info

So who is the contact point for the data? I can supply fields for Hurricane Motorsports

Does it go to Buzz, to Ward, to . . . ?

Paul
Old 07-31-2012, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Google spreadsheet information updates would go to me. If someone has a better approach I'm open to doing it the best way for the group.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Just thinking out loud here but here goes.

How about creating a picture of sorts of a Cobra. Side, front, back and top views and then put places for dimensions such as wheel base overall length & width, tracking (front and rear) cockpit size to a certain location, seat height, and length from seat back to the pedals, ECT.

Where ever you want a dimension to put in the identifiers A,B,C, ECT and then in a list area people / manufactures could input their dimensions.

The idea is for the dimensions for all makes be relative to the same locations. No guess work that way.
The dimensions should be for the standard manufacture design, not for already modified by the owner. I think that is what this is all about anyway.

I could try to get the information on the Classic Roadster unless DV already has it.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
The Google spreadsheet information updates would go to me. If someone has a better approach I'm open to doing it the best way for the group.
Sounds good.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Fantastic stuff guys! I am working on the Cobra line drawings as we speak and I will upload side, front, rear and top views. A newer member with relevant expertise has contacted me via PM to offer his assistance and I will direct him to Ward to see if they can work together.

Once I upload the templates and we agree on the measurement points, I guess the next step would be to work on finalizing the data and layout so the volunteers like Lou and Paul for the individual brands can compile the relevant info and forward it Ward.

A photo comparison similar to the one on ERA's site would be fantastic as well If we can find a way to ensure consistency in the way the cars are photographed. For example, the exterior shots would have to be taken from a set height, position and distance from the car at a given focal length to be truly useful. It must be kept in mind that variables like wheel and tire setups and ride height settings will always keep an element of variance in the appearance of the cars, even within the individual brands.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 07-31-2012 at 09:10 PM..
Old 07-31-2012, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds great!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've added West Coast Cobra specs given to me by Lou. Hmm, the only problem is there is a new link for each update! I need to check on that. Here is the link to the new spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzD...EEwR1pfaDd4Ums
Old 08-01-2012, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
Thanks for your work lads

But just a quick one:
File Not Found
Error 404
Old 08-01-2012, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It works for me, but since I posted it maybe it doesn't work for others?