Old 05-28-2013, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
When I fixed the original gas tank I filled it with water, heated the seams and wire brushed away all the solder then spot brazed it every 2 inches then resoldered over the top. I guess we should have kept looking for other potential problems. Tim.
Hey Tim,

I had a problem with the radiator header tank that leaked on the alternator. The original gas tank is long gone, I had a stainless steel replica built about 21 years ago because the originals were such junk and leaked whenever you drove too hard because the seams could not handle a full fuel load under throttle.

It turns out that the alternator keeping me out of the main event was a blessing in disguise. The car was running on seven cylinders due to a valve train malfunction ( I thought it seemed a little on the weak side at Laguna). The engine is out and back in Michigan for some updates and a rebuild.
We are going up a little on compression and putting a bigger cam in to reduce low end torque. Heads will be reworked to improve intake and exhaust flow and the crank and pistons will be considerably lighter too, should be up and running by late July.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
Hey Tim,

I had a problem with the radiator header tank that leaked on the alternator. The original gas tank is long gone, I had a stainless steel replica built about 21 years ago because the originals were such junk and leaked whenever you drove too hard because the seams could not handle a full fuel load under throttle.

It turns out that the alternator keeping me out of the main event was a blessing in disguise. The car was running on seven cylinders due to a valve train malfunction ( I thought it seemed a little on the weak side at Laguna). The engine is out and back in Michigan for some updates and a rebuild.
We are going up a little on compression and putting a bigger cam in to reduce low end torque. Heads will be reworked to improve intake and exhaust flow and the crank and pistons will be considerably lighter too, should be up and running by late July.
I can't wait to see the numbers on the new engine, would love to know the cam specs when you get it done as well as the compression increase...800hp anyone???

Last edited by fordracing65; 05-29-2013 at 03:22 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: not yet, gathering parts for ffr
Not Ranked     
Default too busy !

Hey Bruce , a kid another forum was asking about Autocross suspension, He is going to Wyotech in Sacramento,. I told him to get on Club cobra and read all your posts and to check out David Kirkham. You Guys are the pros. I looked at some of the picts you posted, looked at the exhaust, Not the ones we built, Working all night, then sleeping a couple hours , then going to race at Flint. Since I 've a couple heart attacts, I get tired, go to bed early. No more most of the night in the shop, My plan was to finish the 32 roadster, sell it and buy a FFR cobra kit. The roadster body is on the top of the Home depo style racks in the shop. My son told me to start putting tags on all the parts in the shop, Some day he will probably have to try to figure out what everything is.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default radiator tanks.

I used to drill holes in the radiator tanks, then poke plain brazing rod thru, front to back in 3 or 4 places. solder them in place so the expansion and contraction, pressure up, then off wouldn't fatigue and break the solder seams.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Your video's

I had my son put a utube of your in car camera shots of one of your autocross runs On a big screen. It can make you dizzy. Is there an easy way to find your videos ?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
I can't wait to see the numbers on the new engine, would love to know the cam specs when you get it done as well as the compression increase...800hp anyone???
The old one was 806, hoping for a little more this time, compression will be
15 to 1, cam around 297 at .050 with .800 lift not settled yet, will post after we have it done and have all the numbers.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     
Default Horsepower

Only 806 an hoping for more......never enough right.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
Hey Bruce , a kid another forum was asking about Autocross suspension, He is going to Wyotech in Sacramento,. I told him to get on Club cobra and read all your posts and to check out David Kirkham. You Guys are the pros. I looked at some of the picts you posted, looked at the exhaust, Not the ones we built, Working all night, then sleeping a couple hours , then going to race at Flint. Since I 've a couple heart attacts, I get tired, go to bed early. No more most of the night in the shop, My plan was to finish the 32 roadster, sell it and buy a FFR cobra kit. The roadster body is on the top of the Home depo style racks in the shop. My son told me to start putting tags on all the parts in the shop, Some day he will probably have to try to figure out what everything is.
Tim,
You would be the last guy that I would ever expect to have a heart attack
clean living, no drinking or smoking I am very sorry to hear that.
You brought back some great memories, when we ran the car in Flint some kid was getting too close to it and I told him to get away from the car, turns out that he was one of the lead engineers on the Ford GT 32 years later!
He told me the story a few years ago, I had forgotten about it but remembered when he told me, he said the car was so loud and fast he wanted to see it up close.
The header tank leaked where Shelby American installed the fan switch in the bottom of the tank, they did a crappy soldering job and used lead solder.
I cleaned it up and silver soldered the bung back in so it should be ok now.
I hear you about not doing as much at our ages. I pulled my engine and built a crate for it by myself but it took three days this time, would have been done in one day even 10 years ago. Remember the trailer you modified for me? I kept it until 1986 and sold it with a formula car. I put about 200,000 miles on it with no trouble. I have some videos under Cobra498 on You tube
but have taken most down, other than the Cobra at Laguna and the GT at Willow Springs and Autox. Take care of yourself and stay in touch, I'll post dyno data here when the engine is done and possibly get some autox video's up too.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default old employee ?

I met a guy at a car show in Morgan Hill, Calif a few years ago. He had a blue cobra on display.I looked it over close and commented about it looking a little different than most 427's I have seen. Turns out it was a small block FIA, He said he had been an engineer at Ford in detroit and had worked for you. My son went back and did a picture with colored pencils on blue felt paper, but did not put the guys name on the back.