16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     

Red Eye.
I am sure you are getting the point very clear by now. It is a fun ride, can be dangerous as hell but under common sense, extreme awareness of surroudings and pretending you are INVISABLE TO OTHERS you will have a greater chance of surviving the rush!! Pretend you are just a 4 wheel motorcycle and you will be better off. I have 30 thousand miles on my car and only a few times did things get 'hairy'....but when they do get hairy, they are REALLY hairy! Here is what I do and I take it out every weekend for at least a 4 hour tour up or down the Cali coast....(a notably unsafe place for the most, partly due to just BAD drivers)
I have a game I play...always thinking I am going to need a quick response to some knee jerk situation and to always look for a way out just in case it does happen. I also make sure that when driving I keep myself out of a compromising location say....between two cars where I have no out or being next to some 18 wheeler who just might not know I am there. Further, I take the time of day pretty serious and I know that when driving the coast route during peak times I stay in center lane... NOT right lane where at any time someone chooses to slam on brakes to get that very desired 'parking' spot they have been 'hawking' like a hawk looking for a meal. Usually I don't go out in midday unless a special desire to travel....as it's the time of day the most 'aggroodd' (agitated) people are on the road. Remember, there are 'drivers' and there are 'people who drive'. Big difference! One pays respect to road rules and etiquet while the other just uses the car as a means to 'move' somewhere else. One loves the feeling of the driving experience, appreciates the machinery he is in and it's power and grace while the other considers the car as a tool, hates to clean it and only gets it serviced when it konks out and he has no choice.
We are happy to be the 'drivers' as we hate accidents, loath crummy and inconsiderate drivers, and will always wave at those who appreciate what WE appreciate. 'They' are just obstacles on the road that happen to be moving and weaving and more or less.......accidents waiting to happen! We are the ones who help 'them' miss that fender bender that is just seconds away had we not seen 'them' textiing to whoever! We are also blessed with one last weapon for our survival......pure power/speed!! When all else fails we can get the heck out of the mess by pressing the go pedal and circumventing the whole damn thing!!
Red man......drive safe, have a good one and remember the words of Hal C...that shiny key is the beginning of a great time!!

fred z
RedEye likes this.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Okay, I'll bite: What is the "Broomstick test"?

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

DD,

Google is your friend....

That said, here's one typical quote:
Quote:
the driver's helmet must be below the line from the top of the roll hoop or bar to the top of the windshield
This varies a little bit from place to place. Some want one or two inches daylight between the stick and the helmet.

There's also some controversy about this technique because the windshield isn't going to provide any rollover resistance at all - don't ask how I know this.

The real issue is whether the roll bar sticks up high enough to prevent your helmet from touching the ground in case of a rollover. For a Cobra, a couple of inches is probably OK if the car and bar are stoutly constructed and the bar is not located too far behind the helmet and the belts are properly located, mounted, tightened down and are strong enough.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
Okay, I'll bite: What is the "Broomstick test"?

DD
I thought it had something to do wtih an ex-wife.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeasts, 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Pete View Post
For the OP I suggest to make the clutch as easy as possible. Many drivers having trouble to keep a high powered car in check when the clutch is too stiff.
Thanks, that's very useful information. Have a center force double clutch with hydraulic so I'm hoping it'll allow me to smoothly engage with some practice.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeasts, 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
Red Eye.
I am sure you are getting the point very clear by now. It is a fun ride, can be dangerous as hell but under common sense, extreme awareness of surroudings and pretending you are INVISABLE TO OTHERS you will have a greater chance of surviving the rush!! Pretend you are just a 4 wheel motorcycle and you will be better off. I have 30 thousand miles on my car and only a few times did things get 'hairy'....but when they do get hairy, they are REALLY hairy! Here is what I do and I take it out every weekend for at least a 4 hour tour up or down the Cali coast....(a notably unsafe place for the most, partly due to just BAD drivers)
I have a game I play...always thinking I am going to need a quick response to some knee jerk situation and to always look for a way out just in case it does happen. I also make sure that when driving I keep myself out of a compromising location say....between two cars where I have no out or being next to some 18 wheeler who just might not know I am there. Further, I take the time of day pretty serious and I know that when driving the coast route during peak times I stay in center lane... NOT right lane where at any time someone chooses to slam on brakes to get that very desired 'parking' spot they have been 'hawking' like a hawk looking for a meal. Usually I don't go out in midday unless a special desire to travel....as it's the time of day the most 'aggroodd' (agitated) people are on the road. Remember, there are 'drivers' and there are 'people who drive'. Big difference! One pays respect to road rules and etiquet while the other just uses the car as a means to 'move' somewhere else. One loves the feeling of the driving experience, appreciates the machinery he is in and it's power and grace while the other considers the car as a tool, hates to clean it and only gets it serviced when it konks out and he has no choice.
We are happy to be the 'drivers' as we hate accidents, loath crummy and inconsiderate drivers, and will always wave at those who appreciate what WE appreciate. 'They' are just obstacles on the road that happen to be moving and weaving and more or less.......accidents waiting to happen! We are the ones who help 'them' miss that fender bender that is just seconds away had we not seen 'them' textiing to whoever! We are also blessed with one last weapon for our survival......pure power/speed!! When all else fails we can get the heck out of the mess by pressing the go pedal and circumventing the whole damn thing!!
Red man......drive safe, have a good one and remember the words of Hal C...that shiny key is the beginning of a great time!!

fred z
Thanks Fred, kind of you.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Well ..my two cents!
First of all, all driving is a Team Activity ( You and all the other A**holes out there).
Next take a good defensive driving course, lean how to become part of the Team.
Don't pretend your a great sports car driver just because you have a small hot rod with 500 HP.
Take some track lessions, practice, dial in your machine and know your limitations.
Drive according to conditions.
Hopefully you will get lucky and not kill some poor smuck with your stupidity and poor judgement.
Lastly...have fun.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Fred Z,

Not sure what you meant by this:
Quote:
When all else fails we can get the heck out of the mess by pressing the go pedal
On the face of it that statement scares the $chitt out of me...

One of my mantras is "don't let your right foot write a check that you and the rest of the car can't cash!"

Hope you meant something else!

Tom
Old 09-14-2012, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
Fred Z,

Not sure what you meant by this: On the face of it that statement scares the $chitt out of me...

One of my mantras is "don't let your right foot write a check that you and the rest of the car can't cash!"

Hope you meant something else!

Tom
I think what he means is if you see trouble coming your way...you have the means to get the heck out of dodge in a hurry. Kinda like a running back does in football. Use your skills to avoid.

John