• 1 Post By wrench87

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Bumperettes vs. full hoops vs. quick jacks

As ERA builds my frame and body, I'm getting down to the minutia. I've definitely decided on undercar exhaust exiting ahead of the rear wheels, chrome rollbar, smooth hood, either unfinished Halibrands or FIAs, and dark non-metallic blue (Ferrari Blu Pozzi) or black (Ferrari Nero).

It is sort of a hybrid between street and SC.

One of my last decisions is quickjacks (probably chrome) vs. plain bumperettes vs. a full hoop with bumperettes on the front and just the bumperettes on the rear. I'm really not crazy about the full hoop on the rear.

Did any of the originals come with just bumperettes without the hoops? I also would like to hear your opinion on these options. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

My thoughts are:

1) Quick jacks - no holds barred race look
2) Full hoops - Classic look
3) Bumperettes - Confused look...?

Judging by the rest of the styling I'm thinking you were going for a classic hybrid mixed look.
Sort of wolf in sheep's clothing style... So I'd be thinking you may prefer full hoops

For mine its either 1 or 2 above. I've not seen 3) pulled off very well before... Only my humble opinion of course...

Can't wait to see it when she's all done
Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Full hoops will dress up the car and offer some protection for low speed bumps.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

The hoop might offer some protection from rock chips and it is much cheaper than the clear coat that is a $900 option for front of a Backdraft Roadster.

After all it's your car and your decision!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
As ERA builds my frame and body, I'm getting down to the minutia. I've definitely decided on undercar exhaust exiting ahead of the rear wheels, chrome rollbar, smooth hood, either unfinished Halibrands or FIAs, and dark non-metallic blue (Ferrari Blu Pozzi) or black (Ferrari Nero).

It is sort of a hybrid between street and SC.

One of my last decisions is quickjacks (probably chrome) vs. plain bumperettes vs. a full hoop with bumperettes on the front and just the bumperettes on the rear. I'm really not crazy about the full hoop on the rear.

Did any of the originals come with just bumperettes without the hoops? I also would like to hear your opinion on these options. Thanks.
Lippy, what about dashboard layout? Are you going with the street layout with Smiths gauges?
...and I like the Ferrari Blu Pozzi choice
Cheers,
Glen
Old 10-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Lippy,

Sounds like a very nice combination.

Our local experts will chime in on the bumper & hoops question.

For opinion on the options …

- I would go with the quick jacks, adds a bit of the race car look. Matching the quick jacks with the roll bar (chrome) is a good idea.

Seems like you are reconsidering a few things ... dark blue or black, Halibrands or FIAs both cool combinations. It's a four way matrix … but dark blue with FIA wheels would be very unique for a 427. Black with Halibrands, very classic. You can't go wrong either way. I would go with the blue & FIAs

Looking forward to your build thread !
Old 10-15-2012, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

black with no stripes, chrome bar, stainless front and rear hoops, unfinished center Halibrands with polished rims.....a killer combination in my opinion. I would add the hood scoop.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I have seen several pictures from the 60s and 70s of Cobras with just the bumperettes and no hoops. I have no idea if any were delivered by Carrol Shelby that way or if this was just a day-two alteration by the owners. I personally like the hoops but the just-bumperettes alone is also a good look. It's pretty easy to go back and forth with them.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

It's my understanding that the standard street equipment was just the bumperettes. The hoops were an option.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
It's my understanding that the standard street equipment was just the bumperettes. The hoops were an option.
Thanks. One more related question: Did all of the S/Cs come with hood scoops, or did some have smooth hoods?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

Does anybody make the jack to fit the quick jacks?

Some cars SHOULD NOT be raised with quick jacks and others were fine for the rapid lifting on the end.

A two wheel dolly might be a good start to do a home-brew jack, but somebody needs to make these.

My unsolicited $.02 worth.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I would not recommend lifting by the quick jacks.

I beleive true SCs had riveted hood scoops. there are even "correct" and incorrect rivet patterns. Yes, it does get that silly.

Ron (Computerworks) would know whether the originals were all riveted scoops and the correct patterns for sure.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #778 427SC Keith Craft FE 428 stroker
Not Ranked     

To me, the look won't be right if you use quick jacks with a smooth hood. Too much of a contradiction. Both the scoop and the jacks were racing items; the other combo was for the street
Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

Since you are asking for opinions I feel the smooth hood and under car exhaust only looks right with full bumpers. I feel a car with side pipes and hood scoop looks good with quick jacks or full bumpers. I dont think the bumperettes look good with any combination, looks unfinished. Just my opinion, yours is the only one that matters for your car though.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There are so many advantages of owning a kit this being one of them.My primary concern when building my kit was the drivetrain and it doing exactly what I hoped for.The bling,it was obvious right away the car could not be lifted with quick jacks without major upgrades so it was bumperettes.The scoop was built for function,looks was a plus.The undercar exhaust was a must after owning a bb Vette with side exhaust and riding in a few Cobra's knew the ears could not take the beating.All the other inside stuff was done to satisfy the need for the look of originality.Overall looks? no need to elaborate on that one.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC427, 427DartSHP
Not Ranked     

I have been thinking on this combination as well. I go visit my kit, in storage, once a week and think about the possibilities, while the house is almost under construction.

I am leaning towards the full hoops, not sure about the hood scoop, and keeping the side pipes. Although I am going to put my acoustic engineering skills to work on those and see what I can come up with.

Not crazy about bumperettes and the quick jacks would only be for looks, which goes against my grain. I would be goofy enough to do the work to make them functional.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

Here is a picture of my all black FFR with the full bumper.
Attached Images

vatdevil likes this.