Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Why do people sell their Cobra?

I was perusing Cobra Country's website last night, not because I'm buying but because I had nothing better to do...

There is an amazing array of Cobras for sale over there...and some one of a kind machines as well. I saw an ERA with a pristine cammer in it, the only aluminum bodied Superformance in existence, a carbon fiber Exact, several Kirkhams and all manners of FF's, Midstates, Backdrafts et al, many with original sideoilers or well built FEs of all sizes. Like I said, some really unique stuff.

Other than the builder who does what he does, that is builds and sells, why do people get rid of what should be their dream car? Is the idea of a Cobra ultimately more attractive than actually owning and driving one? The economy? Just curious.

phil
Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I think "the survey says":

1. I need the money right now.
2. Whoa, that's not the car I wanted or intended to buy, but that Corvette sure is nice.
3. I'm bored.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

I'll give you another reason. Many people build one and get the bug to build. For years I was a 2/3 build, 1/3 drive. I would build one and drive it for a year or two and then get the urge to build another. All of this working towards my dream originally to own a CSX, but then modified to own a Kirkham. Today, I'm much more about the drive, but still enjoy tinkering and upgrading.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Personally speaking, I sold my 289 FIA after moving from Washington back to Colorado for several reasons. Among them, out here there are no tracks in which to put the car through it's paces any where close to me as opposed to living in the Puget Sound region where there were 3 tracks within 45 minutes max. of my home. Here it is almost a 2 1/2 hour min. trip to the closest track that holds open track events. Driving in the mountains here is not really conducive to Weber inducted high performance engines either because of the altitude changes encountered. Webers are touchy.
The cruising season is short when driving a roadster here, even with the joke of top on, unless you like freezing your butt off
I'm getting older and the car was uncomfortable to drive long distances and most of my friends here are not Cobra owners, more into hot rods and muscle cars, so doing a Cobra cruise like we did in Washington was out. Yeah, there are Cobra owners here but those who are really active and do things are all in the Denver/Colo Springs area at min an hours drive south from my home.
I sold my Cobra but not a day goes buy when I wish I hadn't...until reality sets in...I did not want a "garage Queen" that only got driven on warm summer Sundays and I manged to sell it for a lot more than I had invested.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
I'll give you another reason. Many people build one and get the bug to build.
That's covered under "bored."
Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     
Wink

I imagine for some it's because once they get it they finally see what it can actually do and it scares the living piss out of them. Then they go buy a vette. You know, for weather protection.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good answers, all.
I can't help but wonder however, that after spending the better part of five years building my engine from the block up and finally arriving at the point financially that I can make my dream come true, that I'll lose interest or worse, never enjoy the car in the first place. I can't imagine that happening though...
Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP241 427 S/C 482 Shelby
Not Ranked     
Talking

We sold the Kirkhams in order to pay off our mortgage. We are now debt free & saved about $60.000. of future interest. Tough decision, but I'm not sorry. Don't feel sorry for me as I still have have a pretty nice 70 SS 454 Chevelle for street & Bondurant Mustang for track.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:12 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by philminotti View Post
I was perusing Cobra Country's website last night, not because I'm buying but because I had nothing better to do...

There is an amazing array of Cobras for sale over there...and some one of a kind machines as well. I saw an ERA with a pristine cammer in it, the only aluminum bodied Superformance in existence, a carbon fiber Exact, several Kirkhams and all manners of FF's, Midstates, Backdrafts et al, many with original sideoilers or well built FEs of all sizes. Like I said, some really unique stuff.

Other than the builder who does what he does, that is builds and sells, why do people get rid of what should be their dream car? Is the idea of a Cobra ultimately more attractive than actually owning and driving one? The economy? Just curious.

phil
Phil,

As someone who has bought and sold his fair share of Cobra replicas I can tell you some of the top ones I have run in to:

1: They need the money to pay off debts
2: They need the garage space for other projects
3: They purchased and got in over their head, the car now scares them or they thought it would be a more practical car like a late model Corvette
4: Divorce (more times than you would think)
5: (usually mine) Boredom (nothing let to tinker with, usually a great thing for the next owner as all the bugs are worked out). Also as Mark R stated, the seller enjoy the build/tinkering.
6: Kids in school/college (again, happens more than you would think)
7: (another of mine) The grass is always greener syndrome (IE: There is another collector car out there I want more than my current Cobra)
8: Wife does not like the car and won't ride in it
9: Owner had a near miss and wet his/her pants and will never get in it again
10: Wife burned her leg on the side pipe and threaten to leave you the owner unless you sell the car (again, I've bought three cobra replicas due to this very reason).

Each one of us who sells a car (any car) has a reason for it, some times the situation changes and the car is a must sell, some times it is a want to sell situation.

Hope this answers some of your question.

Bill S.
Bxx1 likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
That's covered under "bored."
How about "wife made me sell it"? Which category is PW'ed under?
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I think PW'ed falls into the "testically subdued" category.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
How about "wife made me sell it"? Which category is PW'ed under?
PW comes under #2. "I" is a plurality and encompasses "my wife (or ex-wife) is making me do it."
Old 01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW, all (or nearly all) of Mr. Mustang's reasons are covered under my three reasons: Need money, not what I (or my wife) expected or boredom.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Im selling mine, have another project on the way.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

How about "Old Age" sad to say, and this is a forced event that we can all see coming. I believe and hope , but not looking forward to, that I have to sell my Cobra because of this [not something that will derail me sooner]. At 53 I hope I have 15 quality years left where I WANT and CAN drive it. I have to push the thought out of my mind.
Can anyone with experience chime in on this.
Lou
Old 01-12-2012, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by philminotti View Post
Other than the builder who does what he does, that is builds and sells, why do people get rid of what should be their dream car?
phil
I frequent the GT40s website and we had a build thread on an incredible project. Soon as it was finished, it was offered for sale. This was a private individual, not a business (I assume your comments above referenced commercial businesses whose focus is building and selling replicas). We were all amazed he would sell and asked him why, his answer was simple:

"Some guys play golf; I build cars".

Sounds like a hobby to me....can't be a moneymaking operation in this economy, we all hear accounts of people having twice as much invested in their "For Sale" offering than they can get for it.

BTW...that guy on the GT40's website...he has not been back, I guess he settled on a different type of project for his next creation.

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

In my case I will sell it as I get close to retirement. Just does not fit in my retirement plans.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

For the same reason they sell Ferrari 458's.
Cos they need to cough up after losing a bet.

Surely you guys remember this...
Drag race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 458 italia &

Continuation of Thread: Drag race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 458 Italia

Old 01-12-2012, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
In my case I will sell it as I get close to retirement. Just does not fit in my retirement plans.
What he said, or when my left knee finally gives out and I can't depress a clutch any longer. Whichever event comes first. More than likely just hand the keys to my son and tell him, "Somehow I managed not to let it kill me. Now it's your turn."
Old 01-12-2012, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So it seems that, logically, that the people who frequent this site have had to give up their rides for financial, age related or other tangible and quite understandable reasons. I guess I've always been interested in the people who have a high dollar Cobra built for them who suddenly turn around and inexplicably sell it. I'm sure long time clubcobra folks remember that guy who was having a high end Kirkham built and asked literally thousands of inane questions until it was finally done, and then sold it. It would seem by the replies here that these people are the small minority.