Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Kevin, curious why you decided to undercoat. Peter at ERA mentioned they use CoreMat in the wells so there is no need for the undercoat. I finished my front wheel wells and I like the look of the aluminum but I can see how it could get pretty bashed up over time. The painter sprayed the underside of my fiberglass in the wheel wells black, so it looks good now.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I think its more of a personal preference thing than a functional requirement. I undercoated mine because I wanted to seal the underside of the fiberglass to help prevent anything kicked up or otherwise from attacking the underside of the fiberglass and coming through under the paint - I liked it blacked out - and I don't like to hear small stones pinging off of the wheel well panels as I drive. Battery acid, AC unit oil, and brake fluid can all attack fiberglass from the underside and bubble paint. Owners of older Corvette know about this problem. Undercoating isn't probably the best sealer against it but it will stop some stuff and slow the rest of it down. Painting the underside will do the same thing somewhat - depending on the type paint.

Last edited by DanEC; 05-13-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Old 05-14-2013, 10:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: searching for my dream car
Not Ranked     

kevin,car looks great i was wondering if i could ask you some questions about your car and the choices you have made . i am not far from you .i try to read info on sites and on here as well . i feel the best way to made choices is to see and talk face to face and see it.anyone can say / type anything on here or web sites.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Sweeeet...
Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Kevin, curious why you decided to undercoat. Peter at ERA mentioned they use CoreMat in the wells so there is no need for the undercoat. I finished my front wheel wells and I like the look of the aluminum but I can see how it could get pretty bashed up over time. The painter sprayed the underside of my fiberglass in the wheel wells black, so it looks good now.
Hi Lippy,

I'm traveling so didn't see this until just now and already responded to your other thread. I won't repeat what I said in your thread but will add that I rode in a Cobra on a road that was a bit gravely and it was pretty noisy (the car was not undercoated). We were going slow - 20 miles per hour or so because of the gravel - but to me it was like fingernails on a chalkboard. I think the biggest thing to key in on is what the aluminum will look like over time. Maybe some of the guys that didn't undercoat can comment on that. I'm pleased with the outcome but will tell you that spraying undercoating wasn't my favorite part of the build!

Regards,

Kevin
Old 06-02-2013, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got up early this morning and spent the entire day applying scratch and swirl remover. Twelve hours later I now have a mirror finish and both my arms feel like they will fall off. Car is sitting overnight with a coat of Zaino 5. Fortunately, now that the finish is as close to perfect as it can be, the Zaino products are easy to apply. That's a good thing, because I have no elbow grease left in me.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Be a shame if you actually drive somewhere.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Be a shame if you actually drive somewhere.
My 7 year-old Harley looks brand new - it can be done, and I don't mind the work, although I was kinda whining about it a bit there...

This car will get driven.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
This car will get driven.
You can take it for a little, albeit illegal, quickie drive when you get the engine, trans, wheels and suspension in. When do you think that will be?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I should have the engine by mid-July. I'll be painting it, getting the bellhousing dialed in and should be good to go. The wiring is all in, the trunk is carpeted and I'm working on the rest of the carpet now, all four wheels are on so I should be able to focus on the engine once I get it. I'm hoping to get the car on the road toward the end of summer but a lot depends on my work schedule and, of course, what issues I run into with the car.

And, yes, a few illegal drives around the neighborhood will be too tempting to pass up...

On another topic, I have a single reservoir for the clutch and brakes. Does anyone have a clever way to be able to put fluid in and bleed the brakes without the clutch slave cylinder mounted? I could hook it up, but obviously can't mount it. I haven't looked into this yet, but since I was thinking of things remaining to do, bleeding the brakes would be one more thing off the list while I'm waiting for the engine.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Does anyone have a clever way to be able to put fluid in and bleed the brakes without the clutch slave cylinder mounted? .
Air in the line to the clutch master cylinder will not affect the bleeding of the brakes, even with a single reservoir.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Air in the line to the clutch master cylinder will not affect the bleeding of the brakes, even with a single reservoir.
That's what I was hoping, but wasn't sure. I could just hook up the slave cylinder and temporarily tie strap it to the chassis so I can bleed the brakes.

Thanks.

Kevin
Old 06-03-2013, 06:45 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's what I was hoping, but wasn't sure. I could just hook up the slave cylinder and temporarily tie strap it to the chassis so I can bleed the brakes.

Thanks.

Kevin
Naaah, just put a little plug in the end of the clutch line so fluid doesn't leak out. Sooner or later you're bound to accidentally push the clutch pedal and if you don't have the hydraulics hooked up to it you won't squirt the slave apart when you do.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

The port in the reservoir for the clutch is quite a bit higher up than the brakes. You could fill to just below the clutch port and have no mess at all bleeding the brakes.

John
Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Patrick and John - appreciate the help. John, the two brake ports are on the bottom of the reservoir and the clutch port is slightly lower than half way up, so I see what you're saying. Good to know I can keep working while waiting for the engine.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 08-31-2013, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Haven't posted any updates on the car in a while - still waiting on my motor, which hopefully will be ready for a dyno run by end of next week. Meanwhile, since I can't seem to leave the car alone, I've been doing "busy work" projects like making a bracket and mount for a sissor jack and installing a permanent battery tender cable. Today, I temporarily installed the dash and checked out some of the electrical components. Asked a couple questions in other threads so won't repeat here. Saw that I haven't posted any photos since I got the car on all four wheels, so here's what it looks like now.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

car is looking great, you are doing a excellent job with the build. let us know how the big side oiler does on the dyno.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

looks real good Kevin.......post some engine/cam specs...
i heard through a little birdie you were going hydraulic roller?
with edel. heads?

i picked up my motor......Doug did a great job for me...
Old 08-31-2013, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

Absolutely beautiful!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Murray, I hope to be using your shop crane soon!

Fred, I will post the specs with the dyno results. The numbers won't impress anyone on this forum as I'm targeting something north of 450 hp, so nothing radical. Yes, I went hydraulic roller with Edelbrock heads/intake. Glad to hear that Doug did well by you. So far, not a negative report on him to be found anywhere...