LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It looks like it's almost ready for the first short "quickie" ride around the neighborhood -- just to see if it actually can run under its own power.
I wish. Still have a lot to do...dash, MSD and connections, battery cable and battery (trunk mount), rough in front-end alignment, seats (well, at least the driver's seat), on and on...

Oh, and engine oil and fluid in the transmission - best not to forget that
Old 10-21-2013, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Kevin,
Wow, that looks great. Where did you mount the fuel pressure regulator? I don't see it.
Thanks.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Looks great Kevin. I like the air cleaner and valve covers. Very original looking. Where did you find the breather equipped chrome pentroofs? I've seen posts where members were looking for them I believe. Very nice.

A lessons learned I forgot to pass on - it's a bit of a pain prepping the oil pan for the oil temp gage sender after engine installation. I had to go shopping for a bushing for mine as the hole in the pan was too large for the ERA equipped plug. It may depend on the oil pan source. I found the bushing easy enough at Pep Boys.

Dan
Old 10-21-2013, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Kevin,
Wow, that looks great. Where did you mount the fuel pressure regulator? I don't see it.
Thanks.
Thanks Lippy. I'm using a Carter mechanical fuel pump that self-regulates at 5.5 to 7.5 psi so I don't believe I need an additional fuel pressure regulator. Hope I have that right!

Regards,

Kevin
Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Looks great Kevin. I like the air cleaner and valve covers. Very original looking. Where did you find the breather equipped chrome pentroofs? I've seen posts where members were looking for them I believe. Very nice.

A lessons learned I forgot to pass on - it's a bit of a pain prepping the oil pan for the oil temp gage sender after engine installation. I had to go shopping for a bushing for mine as the hole in the pan was too large for the ERA equipped plug. It may depend on the oil pan source. I found the bushing easy enough at Pep Boys.

Dan
Hi Dan,

Thanks. Got the valve covers at Tony Branda's - 390-427-428 Valve Covers

They sell them with and without breather holes. I know original cars didn't have breathers on the valve covers but decided to go this route rather than tap into the Edelbrock intake. The builder also indicated having breathers on both valve covers (with no PCV) is a good set-up. Hope to find out first-hand soon.

Thanks for the tip on the oil temp sender. I did remove the plug and make sure the threads were clean before installing the engine but assumed the ERA sensor would screw right in. I'll check that out soon.

I appreciate the tips and things to watch out for since this is my first time through this...

Regards,

Kevin
Old 10-21-2013, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post

Dan
What is the size of the ERA sender? I *think* the fitting in the pan is 1/2" NPT.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You are both correct. The pan is 1/2" NPT and the ERA sensor fitting is 3/8 so off to the hardware store I go...
Old 10-21-2013, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
You are both correct. The pan is 1/2" NPT and the ERA sensor fitting is 3/8 so off to the hardware store I go...
You beat me to it while I was trying to refresh my memory. 3/8 to 1/2 NPT is what I had to deal with. I found it in a blister pack on a rack of brass adaptors at Pep Boys so should be easy to find.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

Can I ask what oil pan that is?
Got the same problem with the oil sender, and no idea about american fittings.

great pics btw
Old 10-22-2013, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Can I ask what oil pan that is?
Got the same problem with the oil sender, and no idea about american fittings.

great pics btw
Hi Kevin,

Mine is a Canton 15-820. Pipe fittings are measured based on the inside diameter of a pipe. You can do a Google search on NPT (National Pipe Threads) and find lots of information. However, as a simple rule of thumb, if you measure the thread diameter of a male pipe fitting and subtract 1/4", you'll have the fitting size (pipe walls are nominally about 1/8"). So, for example, the ERA fitting is 5/8" diameter, so it is a 3/8" fitting. The plug in the oil pan is 13/16 diameter (or nominally 3/4 - a bit of rounding is sometimes required), so that is a 1/2" fitting. So, I'll need a 3/8 to 1/2" adapter.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 11-03-2013, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First start went well and I've put just over 36 miles on it. Had a couple of minor issues (blown fuse for cooling fans - covered in another thread) but am almost ready for inspection. I just need to fix a problem with the right turn signal, put the wipers on and mount the side view mirror and it will be ready to go.

Below are a couple photos of the finished cockpit. Well, finished except for installing the door pockets and aligning the doors. I've been focusing mostly on things necessary to pass inspection and hope to sneak that in before winter.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:28 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Looking good, let me know when you are ready for your inspection and I'll point you to someone "Cobra friendly"........

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-03-2013, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Bill,

A long time ago, you recommended a place in Pottstown and I've called them. Just need to get some help trailering the car up there (I have someone that is working on borrowing a trailer).

After speaking with them, I'm very comfortable that they are "Cobra friendly". Thanks much for the help. I also learned of a Cobra friendly tag agency so I'm hoping for an easy process.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 11-03-2013, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kevin - looks great. Already have 36 miles down. I'm envious.

Dan
Old 11-03-2013, 02:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
Hi Bill,

A long time ago, you recommended a place in Pottstown and I've called them. Just need to get some help trailering the car up there (I have someone that is working on borrowing a trailer).

After speaking with them, I'm very comfortable that they are "Cobra friendly". Thanks much for the help. I also learned of a Cobra friendly tag agency so I'm hoping for an easy process.

Regards,

Kevin
Sent you a PM

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-03-2013, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'd replace those 2" straps with 3" and put a clamp across the extinguisher so it doesn't become a projectile.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
I'd replace those 2" straps with 3" and put a clamp across the extinguisher so it doesn't become a projectile.
Hi Chas,

I was considering adding a submarine belt - upgrading to wider shoulder straps would be a good upgrade as well. And, you're right about the extinguisher bracket. I'll either weld a couple quick-release clamps on to replace the rubber bungies or, more likely, just get a vehicle-rated bracket. Want it black anyway...

As you can imagine, getting the car this close to finished is going to make for a long winter. These will be good winter projects, thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 11-04-2013, 04:43 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

... and upgrade the cockpit unit to a Halotron extinguisher. I have the old fashioned white powder unit strapped to the roll bar in the trunk and the Halotron unit between the seats. That way, if it's Chas's car that's on fire I use the messy white powder unit, but if it's mine, I use the Halotron.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine is a Cold Fire unit so, although everyone has their own favorite, Cold Fire is just fine. Hope I never have the opportunity to actually use it...
Old 11-04-2013, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The car looks incredible. Great job.

I have a portable bottle of Halotron and am trying to decide whether to mount it where you did, or toward the front of the tunnel, behind the vertical tubes. If it is on the tunnel, people may be less tempted to screw with it when parked.