Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default New article about the Aurora GRX

I just came across this article about the old Aurora Cars company which produced its own federalized Cobra-esque roadster in the 1980s. It's an interesting read. Enjoy!

###

The Aurora GRX: Canada's Cobra
A little-known homegrown sports car success story that ended in bankruptcy — and conspiracy
December 30, 2012, by Joe Knycha

It was, and still is, regarded by many as the best production replicar ever built on the legacy of the Shelby Cobra.

You know, the Cobra — the small, iconic, over-muscled roadster that in the 1960s won races and hearts everywhere it went, and which just might be the most imitated car ever.

The made-in-Canada Aurora GRX was no slap-dash “kit car.” It indeed offered the Cobra the most sincere sort of flattery.

At the same time, this modernized, high-quality reproduction of the original 289 two-seater—hand-built on a unique tubular chassis—qualified as a new car according to our government regulators.

As the only Canadian automobile to ever be included in the late Canada-U.S. Auto Pact of the 1960s, the Aurora is as much a business story of Canadian significance as a tale for auto enthusiasts and connoisseurs of exotic cars....

Read the rest of the article HERE.

###

The article also has a nice gallery of old photos.

Aurora factory

chassis

brochure

brochure

cars

Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well that is quite the Story/Tale now isn't it?
And now a Conspiracy theory too? lol

Lets add some more stuff and there may be a book written "Who Killed Aurora Cars"

The time a car was shipped to a Japan car show and didn't sell and no attempt to discount it for a sale so it wouldn't have to be $hipped back never happened. (fact)

The time AC bought a bunch of DeLoreans to try and resell for profit. (fact)
That was BLT (Before Larry's Time)

Maybe add some tales of sex, drugs and the mafia into this along with the conspiracy theory and you have a real whodunnit "Who Killed Aurora Cars".

Kinda like "Who Killed Harry Oakes" and still 60yrs later nobody knows?

It would be of interest to see the article written on the AC by Brock Yates.
I never saw one or know if he actually ever even wrote one but he did visit the plant and was "entertained".

One of these days I'm gonna hafta dig out my old pics of the cars and the plant and I do have LOTS of them. (putting note in job jar).

Should have enough to make a slide show and I already know what tune I'll use.
Bob Seger's "Making Thunderbirds" which came out in 1982 and played often on the radio in the shop.

We were a jammin in 1982 there.
"We were young and proud, we were making Thunderbirds".
BOB SEGER - MAKING THUNDERBIRDS. - YouTube

Guess I'm gonna hafta "throw a lil sand into the lube" and watermark my pics when I get around to posting them with that Bob Seger tune?

Something I just noticed is that Sympatico.ca Autos "appears" to have used MY Aurora Cars brochure pics for sale from the "General for Sale" in Club Cobra's site which are Copyright photos from Playboy.

It would "appear" that they used my pics in #8 which I could care less about.
But their photos # 16 and #17 ARE Copyright pics from Playboy "grabbed" from Club Cobra's site.

Somebody has some "splainin to do" here methinks?
Or will they be buying my 3 brochures from me???

Coinkodently $300 is the price I was given to redo the side and backglass tint of my new to me toy a '97 Acura NSX-T.

So sorry folks when I get around to posting pics they WILL be watermarked.
What a shame that sailboat owners that think just because the wind is free so, should everything else be free.

So you can thank Sympatico.ca Autos for that one.

Last edited by Haywood; 01-13-2013 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Just because it needed to be revised
Old 01-13-2013, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What happened to the chassis jigs, body molds, etc? Anyone know?
Larry
Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe that, somehow, the body molds ended up in the possession of Chris Williams, EVA Sportscars, in Vankleek Hill, Ontario. That is, he was offering Aurora GRX bodies at the time he closed up his own Cobra replica business circa Sep 2010.

No idea what happened to the chassis jigs.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I know pretty much EXACTLY who would know but, I ain't saying as "loose lips sink ships".
And I wouldn't give that info out without their express authorized consent in writing.

I still got a bit of a 'Woolly up my Azz" about this idiot writer from Sympatico.ca Auto that "appears" to have used MY pics and obviously didn't check their facts on this story.

"181 cars built" made me laugh so hard that tears rolled down my leg.
140-150 TOPS at very best.
Which I guess is 3 times more than the amount of "Tucker's" built?
Not nearly worth as much as a Tucker though.

"Who Killed Aurora Cars"
A book written by Larry, his brother Darryl and his other brother Darryl.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1984 Aurora Cobra Mark II #153
Not Ranked     

I recently purchased #153 and there is a #154 listed in the owner section on the Aurora Club site, so I know they made that many. Thanks for the information.

Michael
Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congrats on your new to you car.
A well built tight lil car.

Guessing that the one you bought has the fuel filler up on the rear cowl panel and not next to the Left Rear tail light?
Also a chrome windshield frame verses the color coded one?

Hope you got a ton of info along with the car in regards to misc maint items 'cause its not like you can go into NAPA or Advance Auto Parts and get stuff for this car.
Its a mishmash of all sorts of stuff and the lil stuff will make you nutty.
Contrary to the "Don't sweat the petty" saying.

If it interests you I have Orig factory posters in "General Stuff" for sale.
They won't have the squiggly lines on them.
I added those for the "sailboat" kinda people and I'll burn or shred those posters before taking any less $ for them.

The Aurora site also shows cars numbered 401, 403 and 405 which does NOT mean that there were that many made.
The sequential #'s are far from sequential.

150 made is about right give or take a few #'s I think.

Last edited by Haywood; 03-07-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach 1 Fan View Post
I recently purchased #153 and there is a #154 listed in the owner section on the Aurora Club site, so I know they made that many. Thanks for the information. Michael
Car #154 is also currently listed on Autotrader Canada with an asking price of $42,000. The car looks nice.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1984 Aurora Cobra Mark II #153
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the comments and information. I live in Greensboro, North Carolina and found it locally. It was built in 1984 and only has 8600 miles on it. The car came with the original book, which list all of the parts, so I think I will be all right for now.

I was planning to purchase a new 289 slabside in the next year. I had not decided if it was going to be a Superformance, CSX-8000, or Kirkham. Then this car fell in my lap for 1/4 of what I was planning on spending, so I decided to give it a try. My fear was if I spent $120K, what if the reality did not match the dream. Now I can own a sabside Cobra for a couple of years at little cost and see how much I enjoy it. If I have trouble with the Aurora, or decide I want something newer or faster, I can make the decision based on experience.

Michael
Old 03-09-2013, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thats pretty Cool Beans to get a book showing parts.
Wonder when they started printing up a parts book?
After my time there thats for sure.

Guessing they got fed up taking phone calls from people looking to know what part # was needed for a Henway or Dikfor?

But being in NASCARland is a major bonus 'cause its not all too hard to find someone in that area that can fabricate or make pretty much anything custom automotive.

Funny how sometimes you find what you want in your own backyard sometimes after searching and researching for a while?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Aurora 302 SC serial # 406

I'm about to purchase the last Aurora made #406. Drove the car today - it is a fantastic experience. "Haywood" I would like to learn more about my car and the Aurora Car Co. and you do seem to have an inside scoop. It would be nice to have some of your corporate memory. Incidentally 406 is fuel injected - I believe one of a kind. just over 12,000 miles on 406.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: aurora
Not Ranked     
Default body molds

In 1991 I purchased two complete sets of molds from C&C in Niagara on the lake. Included where two sets of molds one complete body and frame mounted. I sold one set to Chris Williams and on set to high tech motor sports . I made several bodies and chassis and sold the lot.jim snyder
Old 10-23-2013, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora cobra View Post
In 1991 I purchased two complete sets of molds from C&C in Niagara on the lake. Included where two sets of molds one complete body and frame mounted. I sold one set to Chris Williams and on set to high tech motor sports . I made several bodies and chassis and sold the lot.jim snyder

Yeah I pretty much knew that was you but, like I said earlier pretty much it isn't any of my bizz to give that info out.

So what you got was the original molds that popped out close to 100 sets which took 2 bodymen a week to make straight with "Cobra Fill". lol

And you got the newer molds.
The car on frame was the "Plug" for the newer molds.
The "Plug" car was an older mold body made straight for the new mold.

Now when you say that you made a few "chassis" did you get the complete frame "jig" setup too?

Only reason I ask is that was quite the very impressive and intricate setup.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1983 Aurora Cobra 347-5speed
Not Ranked     

So, who has the molds now? I ran into a guy in Ireland in 2009 whose friend had them but I didn't get a a name. Somewhere in AZ, I think.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

Hate the MG tail lights!

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 05-06-2014, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1983 Aurora Cobra 347-5speed
Not Ranked     

The tail lights and high road stance were meant to comply with height minimums for lights to comply with DOT in 1981-1983
Old 05-06-2014, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Anyone here know the silver over red aurora recently for sale in Michigan?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twallerich View Post
So, who has the molds now? I ran into a guy in Ireland in 2009 whose friend had them but I didn't get a a name. Somewhere in AZ, I think.
Yes, one set of molds are in AZ. The Aurora tail lights and other Aurora-only aspects have been removed and the mold returned to CSX2013 specs.
Larry