Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default K&N Air Filters???

So other than being reusable and better for our environment, do they really make any HP difference at all over cheaper paper filters?!?

Does anyone here think that they do add a bit of HP or is that just marketing?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Don't know about making horsepower, I doubt it. But they make the smallest most compact air cleaner I have found, and it breathes really well. If you have clearance problems with a heavy breathing HIPO motor, this is one answer:

66-3110
Old 01-07-2013, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Cdn Copr

I don't know about more performance. But I use K & N filters in my pick up and I use a 14 x 3 round K & N filter, with the K & N 14 inch hat since my unit went on the road. I like the round filter better than the 2 inch x 18 inch cobra filters because there are less vortexes created by the round filters. I see the oblong filter on alot of the AC Cobra motors. My engine builder suggested using the round K & N filters with the K & N hat beacuse it was best for my engine.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother View Post
I don't know about more performance. But I use K & N filters in my pick up and I use a 14 x 3 round K & N filter, with the K & N 14 inch hat since my unit went on the road.
By "hat" do you mean the FilterCharger top?

I use a 9" FilterCharger on my Cobra, it fits up into the hood scoop just like this:

Without it I might have to run a VERY restrictive shorter but larger diameter filter b/c of my limited hood clearance.

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

I use a 14" FilterCharger on my Cobra, it fits up into the hood scoop just like this:

Without it I might have to run a VERY restrictive shorter but larger diameter filter b/c of my limited hood clearance.

Cheers!

Dugly [/quote]

In the above post, you can see the filter I use.

Last edited by Mother; 01-08-2013 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: wrong size round filter
Old 01-08-2013, 01:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've seen filter tests conducted by David Vizard where a K&N filter covered with 1/4 inch thick of mud flowed more air per square inch than a NEW average paper air filter.

The cotton/wire filters air better and has less percentage loss in filtration over a filter service interval than ANY other filter medium.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

I have been very happy with KnN s over the the last 30 years.

There is a perceptible reduction in restriction on most combinations. The only advice to pass on is to not over oil the element , as it can gum up things and in a fuel injected scenario if a MAF is used, the oil can coat the wire in the MAF and can distort the sensor readings.

You can't go wrong with K&N - lifetime filter !
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's been written a lot about the increased flow these K&N's have over paper filters and that they grab smaller particles of dirt than paper filters.The sceptics need not worry certain the gain is not enough to lose sleep over.
A lot of us perfectionists need to know there is nothing better we can do to help improve the performance of our beloved rides.Our shop has everything that breaths air cars trucks,tractors motorcycles,even the air compressor drawing air through K&N air filters.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCobra View Post
Don't know about making horsepower, I doubt it. But they make the smallest most compact air cleaner I have found, and it breathes really well. If you have clearance problems with a heavy breathing HIPO motor, this is one answer:

66-3110

That's the filter I use. I made the same HP on a dyno, with and without the filter, so it definately flows enough air.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here' my custom setup...

It actually made 8 more HP with the filter than it did with no filter. I attribute that to the filter straightening out the air flow somewhat.

The top filter is made for a 2010 3.0 Chebby Malibu. I had my machine shop cut the lid so the filter pressed in for that OEM look.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
Here' my custom setup...

It actually made 8 more HP with the filter than it did with no filter. I attribute that to the filter straightening out the air flow somewhat.

The top filter is made for a 2010 3.0 Chebby Malibu. I had my machine shop cut the lid so the filter pressed in for that OEM look.

Nice. Did you do a before and after test to see if the extra filter made a difference?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

This may be your answer. The baseplate is custom made for a 9" filter and will fit inside a turkey pan. Sits flat on the carb, while giving you access to the float bowls. AND gives you the max hood clearance. Also allows you to use the Extreme filter tops for more air. I am using the Quik-Latch on the top, which we modified for a clean flush look. See Mickmate for one. Already on many cars with no complaints......
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
This may be your answer. The baseplate is custom made for a 9" filter and will fit inside a turkey pan. Sits flat on the carb, while giving you access to the float bowls. AND gives you the max hood clearance. Also allows you to use the Extreme filter tops for more air. I am using the Quik-Latch on the top, which we modified for a clean flush look. See Mickmate for one. Already on many cars with no complaints......
I should add that the package includes the custom baseplate, K&N filter element (2-1/2" tall std), and the K&N Extreme top (modified) with complete Quik-Latch assembly. All ready to go.

Just wanted to let you know what's out there......
Morris likes this.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Oh you mean this one..........
MAXX Air System MAXX Air System [427 289 CSX CCX KMP ACE HT SPF] - $267.40 : Acton Custom Enterprises, Custom Metal for Cobras
Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Nice pic Mick! And it works extremely well on a 682 HP all aluminum FE with a single plane intake!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
I should add that the package includes the custom baseplate, K&N filter element (2-1/2" tall std), and the K&N Extreme top (modified) with complete Quik-Latch assembly. All ready to go.

Just wanted to let you know what's out there......
I remember when you were developing the base plate, great work!

I might add that it probably will NOT work with an Edelbrock/Carter type carb. There is a portion of the choke assembly linkage on the passenger's side that would interfere with the flat base plate. I managed to machine down the Mr. Gasket base that I run on my setup for a bit more hood clearance, but would REALLY like to run the nicely radiused K&N base....the Mr. Gasket base has a sharp corner, the K&N base is almost like a funnel.

Good to know MickMate has them....great adaptation and fits inside the Turkey pan, to boot!

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

K&N air filters are the best filter you can put on anything you have that has an engine in it. You will choke your engine with a paper filter. A K&N will add HP to anything with a paper element.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnkk View Post
So other than being reusable and better for our environment, do they really make any HP difference at all over cheaper paper filters?!?

Does anyone here think that they do add a bit of HP or is that just marketing?

When comparing properly sized filters the K&N shows slightly less pressure drop across the filter than a good paper filter. By slightly I mean the tests I've seen showed that the K&N flowed 0.14% better than a Napa Gold (Wix) paper filter. That's what, 1.2 cfm at 850 cfm flow rate? When it comes to filteration tests, the least restrictive filters let the most particles through and the most restrictive filters let the least particles through... common sense really.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
I remember when you were developing the base plate, great work!

I might add that it probably will NOT work with an Edelbrock/Carter type carb. There is a portion of the choke assembly linkage on the passenger's side that would interfere with the flat base plate. I managed to machine down the Mr. Gasket base that I run on my setup for a bit more hood clearance, but would REALLY like to run the nicely radiused K&N base....the Mr. Gasket base has a sharp corner, the K&N base is almost like a funnel.

Good to know MickMate has them....great adaptation and fits inside the Turkey pan, to boot!

Cheers!

Dugly
Thanks Dugly,
I will start studying the Carter AFB / E-Brock Carb next. I enjoy it when folks say things can't be done.
Cheers back!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

I have used K&N filters for many years on my cars but this test has given me cause for thought K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

A search of the net will show that the test was faulty to some degree but still there are plusses and minuses with each filter type and it depends on the environment you drive in (very dusty or not) the life you expect from your engine 50 000 miles or 150 000 miles and how important those extra 15 hp are when making your choice - just make sure that choice is well informed

Last edited by Snake2998; 01-09-2013 at 10:41 PM..