21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy Spf fuel system upgrade - help!!

Hi to everyone

This is my first post on this forum (probably due to my bad english).
I want to upgrade my fuel sysytem in a SPF. I have already bought all the lines (1/2"), hoses, all fittings (08AN), filters, regulator, fuel pump...
I just dont know how to fit this sysytem correctly to the fuel tank.
Would you recommend fuell cell bulkheads for outline and for the return line or weld fittings (perhaps Meziere WF08MN?) and also which of this should I buy? There are many options
Finally, how to mount the line for pickup the fuel inside the fuel tank after weldind the fittings?

Would you mount it from the top, from the bottom or frorm the side of the fuel tank???

Thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2013, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I assume you are using an electric fuel pump. And I know that most electric fuel pumps do not like to pull fuel into them. So the pumps suction should be as low on the tank as possible. Will you be reconfiguring the tanks connections? If so, remember the dangers of welding and sparks on an empty fuel tank. I believe there are special procedures for welding on a used tank. The addition of a relay for the electronic fuel pump is a great idea too. The SPF chassis usually routes the power source for the fuel pump all the way from under the dash and the wire gage is a bit small for the distance. What is the AMP draw on the electric pump you purchased? The relay is an easy addition.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fuel pump - Holley Hi Flow 12-890 (max 18Amps), Holley pre filter 100mic, Holley post filter 40mic, Aeromotive 13301 Bypass Reg, Relay and wiring from Jeg's and Rollover Safety Switch.
Yes, I will reconfigure the tank connections. That's no problem. Fuel Tank is out of the car. But which connections to the tank I have to use?

BTW: in the past I had a SPF799. Close to your SPF#
Old 02-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

The original equipment manufacturers have been going to electric pumps submerged in the tank. This makes them run cooler and they have no pulling to do as they are already there. I have done this with a couple of Cobra tanks but now you need a big flange on the tank and a matching cover plate. I can dig up a few pictures if you're interested. You can also pull fuel stright out of the front bottom of the tank so there's no gravity to deal with. I put baffles in all my tanks and with the fuel pickups I put a trap around them so they don't get slammed by sloshing fuel but more importantly so you have a sump around it to stop fuel running away from the pickup during cornering and acceleration. I have also started making one way or inline valves for the fill hose to stop sloshing up the fill necks under cornering.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, #799 - Eddy's car. I remember that story...
18AMPS is a lot to pull thru the stock wiring on the chassis...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Auto Restoration and Service
Not Ranked     

As for the pump, I would highly recommend this.

Phantom Fuel System*|*Aeromotive

We have used them many times in the past few months with great results.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
The original equipment manufacturers have been going to electric pumps submerged in the tank. This makes them run cooler and they have no pulling to do as they are already there. I have done this with a couple of Cobra tanks but now you need a big flange on the tank and a matching cover plate. I can dig up a few pictures if you're interested. You can also pull fuel stright out of the front bottom of the tank so there's no gravity to deal with. I put baffles in all my tanks and with the fuel pickups I put a trap around them so they don't get slammed by sloshing fuel but more importantly so you have a sump around it to stop fuel running away from the pickup during cornering and acceleration. I have also started making one way or inline valves for the fill hose to stop sloshing up the fill necks under cornering.
mickmate,
please send some pictures if its not a problem for you. Especially I'm interested in the sump.
Unfortunately, when I bought everything, the Aeromotive Phantom Fuel pump wasn't availible. Otherwise I would buy it.

Blas,
the #799 was a very unlucky car. After I rebuild it completely I had also an accident (not my fault). Then I sold it
Old 02-25-2013, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, the car had some very BAD luck. But I would say that both drivers had some very GOOD luck walking away from the accidents.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageUpgrades View Post
As for the pump, I would highly recommend this.

Phantom Fuel System*|*Aeromotive

We have used them many times in the past few months with great results.
Mitch,

you are right, the Phantom Aeroquip system i probably the best option. Will it work with my 1/2 fuel hard lines? Aeroquip recommends 08AN fuel line???
Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 AM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

08AN is 1/2". The easiest way to convert AN to inches is to put a /16 after the AN number, so 08AN becomes 8/16(1/2), 10AN becomes 10/16(5/8) etc. It's close enough for government work.
Bill
Old 02-25-2013, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you, Bill