28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, FE 440, top-loader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Anyone put cobra on the Amtrak auto train?

The wife and I are planning in May to put cobra on the train in Orlando, sleep the night on the train, then in the late morning arrive SW of Washington DC. Get the cobra back, then spend 5 days down the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Smokeys back to Ocala, FL.

Car specs on Amtrak site call for 4 inches of clearance. Got that front and rear but just at 3 inches on oil pan. Shall I have to twist in some spring spacers in the Amtrack parking lot?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Probably need the 4" front and rear for the ramp angle to load, give 'em a call.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF2271
Not Ranked     

Years ago I put my Lotus Esprit V8 on the Auto Train. Dont think I would do it again. They drive the car on the train driving through many of the train cars on the rails. I had no body damage but I know the guy was slipping the clutch inching it along inside the rail cars and what really sealed it for me was the grease and scraped Ivory Connolly leather from him squeezing in the car.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

rgnbull repeats warnings I have been given, some several times. Rail and ferry hauling present a risk of vehicle damage that is unavoidable by you. However you might prepare your car or the extent of care you use in driving, the tech or associate who loads it is directed to fill the available space. Door dings and scrapes are accepted by the hauler, with no legal recourse open to you. You sign a waiver when you pay to have your car transported. The waiver treats damage that will horrify you as part of the usual routine and essential to efficient operation of the business. The shipper is liable for damage resulting from extraordinary events under his control. That is the extent of protection afforded your Cobra.

There's a good reason responsible haulers charge for their service. They assume full responsibility for the car from the time they sign the contract obliging them to haul your car to the time you sign, accepting the car as delivered. There is no comparable contract directing how your car is treated when you choose to have Amtrak or a ferry to haul your car.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Have the car hauled by one of the conveyors that do the well known Auto auctions. THEY know how to care for it and will do so.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 03-10-2013, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Not Ranked     

Surrender and drive both ways. If you do intend to do the Blue Ridge, do that on the way up because you will be itching to get out of 2nd gear on the way home. I know this does drift away from your initial question, but I suggest more driving.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Young1 -- I've put a Silver Shadow and 500SL on there before with absolutely no problems. If your car is relatively easy in first gear. with a clutch that doesn't buck and cough, then I wouldn't worry about it. Seriously.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, FE 440, top-loader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the input. My car does idle well and has a soft easy clutch without a super tall first gear, as long as they dont rev the engine. It is not a ahow car. I twisted up the front coilovers a half inch and put a spacer in each rear shock and got the four inches of pan clearance. Used the f150 jack. Im good to go
Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF2271
Not Ranked     

Just my 2 cents. You can have the easiest 1st gear on the planet. If the guy getting behind the wheel has no clue what he is doing, or if he can't resist the temptation to play a little being in the seat of one of the greatest sports cars(greatest sounding as well which allows for clutching) of all time, you are leaving yourself in a vulnerable situation. A SL and a shadow are MUCH less likely to have issues. I don't let anyone drive my car unless absolutely necessary(hasn't happened yet), let along a rail working driving it on metal tracks through rail cars. Again, just my 2 cents and experience with the Auto Train.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Hmm.
Government subsidized Cobra transportation?
Like the idea... but then again....
You gotta drive.
You're weighing a lifetime of memories vs a lifetime of potential regrets.
Don't hand the keys over to anybody but a trusted professional, and I don;t mean a valet parker.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Come visit the Capital Area Cobra Club breakfast if you are in town on a Saturday.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)