Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1038--sold
Not Ranked     
Default How to register a CSX4000 car?

A friend of mine bought his CSX4000 series car back in 1999 and never registered it--when he drives it he throws a plate on from one of his other collectibles. I have been talking to him about purchasing the car, my question is "how do I register it"? It has never been registered in calif, he has all the paperwork from his purchase, would I have to go with the SB100? How was this handled when first sold new? Are they registered as a 1999 model? Just curious, thank you.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Make sure that he has the MSO and that it was not a "turnkey" car. You will need all of the receipts. The manufacture and the engine installer cant have any ties.

If all of that is good, then get an SB100. If you do it this year it will be registered as a 2013 SPCN.

The only "SMOG" you will need is a closed PCV system.

PM me with your phone number if you want to talk it over. Fairly easy actually.

Note:

You will need to find out if this was one if the cars that CS tried to register using his supposed "OLD" frames. You might run into an issue if it is.

Someone more knowlageable in that area might chime in on that.

Last edited by tcrist; 03-11-2013 at 09:05 AM..
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
Note:

You will need to find out if this was one if the cars that CS tried to register using his supposed "OLD" frames. You might run into an issue if it is.

Someone more knowlageable in that area might chime in on that.
Those first turnkey "completion" cars were given CSX30XX serial numbers, not CSX4XXX serial numbers.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakidz View Post
A friend of mine bought his CSX4000 series car back in 1999 and never registered it--when he drives it he throws a plate on from one of his other collectibles. I have been talking to him about purchasing the car, my question is "how do I register it"? It has never been registered in calif, he has all the paperwork from his purchase, would I have to go with the SB100? How was this handled when first sold new? Are they registered as a 1999 model? Just curious, thank you.
As I stated on the SAAC FORUM thread, yes, you have to go through the SB100 route.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

What will be interesting is when you go to the DMV with the MSO and all the other paperwork that is in the name of the original owner and not you. Hopefully, they won't give you too much of a headache when you tell them that the original purchaser never titled the car and then sold it to you 14 years later.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
As I stated on the SAAC FORUM thread, yes, you have to go through the SB100 route.

Bill S.
I thought in CA that you also have the option of bringing the drive train up to 2013 smog standards if you don't want to do the SB100 thing.

Although as he stated earlier, apparently in CA you can just take the plates off of one of your other cars and drive around. Here in PA, I don't think that option is allowed.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
I thought in CA that you also have the option of bringing the drive train up to 2013 smog standards if you don't want to do the SB100 thing.

Although as he stated earlier, apparently in CA you can just take the plates off of one of your other cars and drive around. Here in PA, I don't think that option is allowed.
Yes, that option is available, if you want to install the complete engine, tranny, ECU, wiring, exhaust, emissions controls, etc. from a 2013 model car.

And the original owner who took the license plate from one of his other vehicles to run around CA with his CSX, definitely likes living on the edge more than most of us. Talk about lazy.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lazy or crazy? If he had gotten caught he might not have a CSX right now to sell.

Note to the OP, it would be best not to mention that part to the DMV.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now that I think about it, in CA, don't you also have the option of doing smog for the year of the engine block. That is if the car has an engine built around say a 1965 era Ford engine block that you could use that instead of SB100 as well. Of course a modern brand new aluminum block that just happens to look exactly like an old engine block from that era would NOT count.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
Now that I think about it, in CA, don't you also have the option of doing smog for the year of the engine block. That is if the car has an engine built around say a 1965 era Ford engine block that you could use that instead of SB100 as well. Of course a modern brand new aluminum block that just happens to look exactly like an old engine block from that era would NOT count.
Any specially-constructed vehicle (aka "kit car") that has not been previously titled in any state must use the SB100/SPCNS process in order to be titled in CA. There is no "year of block" title and registration for an untitled car.

We've discussed for years about bringing into CA a previously-titled Cobra from another state and registering it here in CA with the other state's previous title that said 1965, based upon the "full faith and credit" between states, but that method is not recommended.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA HiPo 289 with Shelby dual quad intake
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hmmm, I think you need to get the seller to go through the SB100 process, not because its easier for you but because it is probably the only way to truthfully fill out all of the paperwork envolved. the SB 100 process is for people who build (or have built) a car for their own use (not for resale). This car is a completely finished running car that has no title or registration, in other words a turn-key car, I think you will run into nothing but trouble trying to register it because basically (as the state sees it) you will be the first owner of the car. It would have been better if he had registered it improperly than not at all. On the other hand I don't think that your friend would have any trouble at all getting the SB 100 completed, unless he has something to hide about the car.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrod2000 View Post
Hmmm, I think you need to get the seller to go through the SB100 process, not because its easier for you but because it is probably the only way to truthfully fill out all of the paperwork envolved. the SB 100 process is for people who build (or have built) a car for their own use (not for resale). This car is a completely finished running car that has no title or registration, in other words a turn-key car, I think you will run into nothing but trouble trying to register it because basically (as the state sees it) you will be the first owner of the car. It would have been better if he had registered it improperly than not at all. On the other hand I don't think that your friend would have any trouble at all getting the SB 100 completed, unless he has something to hide about the car.
I agree. That's what I was trying to allude to in Post #5. The DMV can be a fickle bunch.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:01 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrod2000 View Post

And on that note I'll trade the OP his untitled (and likely never to be titled in CA) CSX4000 series car for my fully titled 289FIA ERA .

Bill S.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
Lazy or crazy? If he had gotten caught he might not have a CSX right now to sell.

Note to the OP, it would be best not to mention that part to the DMV.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the CA DMV when the new owner, or even the original owner, explains to counter person how an SPCNS car, that has never been titled and registered in any state, can have 10,000 miles on it (just guessing). Of course, your mileage may vary.

That ought to make for an interesting explanation.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the CA DMV when the new owner, or even the original owner, explains to counter person how an SPCNS car, that has never been titled and registered in any state, can have 10,000 miles on it (just guessing). Of course, your mileage may vary.

That ought to make for an interesting explanation.
That would be easy to explain. The car needed extensive testing to get it dialed in at the drag strip. Only 40,000 test runs to get it right. Of course it was always trailer-ed to the track. Now that it is dialed in correctly, it is ready to be titled for the street.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You tell them that it was used exclusively for road courses and ran 30 races per year. They will believe them , Ok maybe not.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1038--sold
Not Ranked     

The car was built at FinishLine (pretty sure that was the name, they were assembling the Cobras since Shelby's new facility was not finished yet) in Las Vegas, I went to see the car being built in late '98. He got the car complete--engine, trans and all ready to drive away. I will see what info he has and see if maybe he would try and register the car first. Thank you for the help here. If I proceed with this I will keep you updated.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The car was built at FinishLine (pretty sure that was the name, they were assembling the Cobras since Shelby's new facility was not finished yet) in Las Vegas, I went to see the car being built in late '98. He got the car complete--engine, trans and all ready to drive away. I will see what info he has and see if maybe he would try and register the car first. Thank you for the help here. If I proceed with this I will keep you updated.

If you don't, send me the sellers information and details.

Bill S.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
What will be interesting is when you go to the DMV with the MSO and all the other paperwork that is in the name of the original owner and not you. Hopefully, they won't give you too much of a headache when you tell them that the original purchaser never titled the car and then sold it to you 14 years later.
Not only the MSO, but separate receipts for the car and the drive line. If the car isn't a screaming deal, then it sounds like a big hassle. It may be challenging for the current owner to register the car, because the DMV may view it as a turn-key.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

According to post 17, it is a turnkey. Walk away from it in Ca. Too much trouble unless you have deep pockets.

JMHO