Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well, I just got back from the optometrist. Looks like I got Patrick's prescription.

Eh, those definitely don't look like magnesium wheels.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

How many replicas has what looks like at least 3 1/2" between the bolts on the bumperettes?

Classic Roadsters (not one of those), Excalibur & ?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I like it. We have another long standing CC member here, Evan (Real1) that has a CSX car that looks quite similar, to my eye at least.
Come on Patrick, cut the new guy a little slack. At any rate, Evan is chasing Vipers at the moment.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For those that provided useful info Thanks very much. For the rest of you I'm surprised that this is the welcome a new member receives....nevertheless....Have a Blessed day.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

I agree jwilgie, most of the time you can get a lot of constructive help on this site, but it appears the "sharks are out for blood" on this one.
One thing I can tell you for sure..the car "is real",..... a real Shelby?...not so much!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For those that provided useful info Thanks very much. For the rest of you I'm surprised that this is the welcome a new member receives....nevertheless....Have a Blessed day.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Neutral     

jwilgie: The sarcastic responses are due to the fact that we see so many of these replicas being presented as originals that its unbelieveable that prospective buyers don't investigate sellers claims before buying. Whats on the data plate of these things should always be looked at with many grains of salt. If You were mislead about its identity and paid too much for it, I would think you have grounds for a fraud lawsuit.
Don' give up on this site, it's your best source for cobra information.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Neutral     

Did any of you guys notice that on the first post the OP stated that it is a replica and is asking what manufacture it is? Right there the OP is stating that it is not a Shelby Cobra.

What this thread is to me is someone that got a good deal on a replica but is asking for help in identifying the manufacture. That is it.
Benzito likes this.

Last edited by tcrist; 03-19-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post
jwilgie: The sarcastic responses are due to the fact that we see so many of these replicas being presented as originals that its unbelieveable that prospective buyers don't investigate sellers claims before buying. Whats on the data plate of these things should always be looked at with many grains of salt. If You were mislead about its identity and paid too much for it, I would think you have grounds for a fraud lawsuit.
Don' give up on this site, it's your best source for cobra information.
Actually many of the sarcastic remarks are more of members teasing each other.

It seems that we have 2 votes for an early Unique Motorcars replica. Does anyone have some recent sales data for a similar car? If we had some price information, that might help jwilgie have a clue of whether he got a bargain or not. It could also be helpful to let him know whether his offer for $19k over his purchase price would have been a good deal.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:52 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
Actually many of the sarcastic remarks are more of members teasing each other.

It seems that we have 2 votes for an early Unique Motorcars replica. Does anyone have some recent sales data for a similar car? If we had some price information, that might help jwilgie have a clue of whether he got a bargain or not. It could also be helpful to let him know whether his offer for $19k over his purchase price would have been a good deal.
The 4 I have seen actually sell recently (1-3 months) were anywhere from $25,600-$42,000

Clearly the 42K car had a 427 sideoiler (not a 390 bored .060 over which to me is excessive), and true knock off wheels, a fitted convertible top, and heater/wiper/windwings.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm not overly concerned if I got a good deal or a bad deal on this car...the car looks goods........sounds good.....and my wife likes it. Life is good. I had the money...a friend knew the owner wanted to sell the car and we made a stupid offer I thought. Bought the car a few months ago but since it was in heated storage there was no rush to take delivery. I never thought it was anything other than a kit. Now that I have the car I was curious as to what I bought. It's a cheap way to do our local Cruise in. My last "hobby" was doing poker runs through out the country with a 38' offshore powerboat....so in that perspective this is like free. Probably turning down a big profit is foolish............then again I'm sure I'll do okay when the time comes...if not the "KIT" Cobra will look just fine sitting next to a 63 Porsche in the showroom. Thanks Again
Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilgie View Post
I'm not overly concerned if I got a good deal or a bad deal on this car...the car looks goods........sounds good.....
99.9% of the guys on here have fake cars so, in that regard, they're all the same. Some would laugh at what I paid for my car, others might say I got a deal. But, like you, it makes no difference to me. If you like what you bought, and feel you paid a fair price, then that's all you can ever ask. Life is too short to be irritated by the likes of Chas, RodKnock, et. al. They will only bring you down and stomp on your obviously high spirits. I think you did the right thing buying the car, I think it looks great, and I think there's a 50/50 chance it might be CSX car as well. I think it even looks better than Evan's, and I know he dropped six figures on his... so, with that in mind, I say "job well done."
ERA Chas and Bxx1 like this.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

Just a quip from foreigner:

ive noticed a lot of US replicas carrying titles like '1964 Shelby Cobra', some admit their fake heritage, other do not- YouTube is full of them. Potentially very confusing for the uninitiated, but the attitude here would be 'caveat emptor' - buyer beware. I'm not sure why this guy is getting a hard time, other than the $19k boast, which, I suppose, might induce some sarcasm on this side of the pond too.

Last edited by KevinW; 03-19-2013 at 08:38 AM..
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Way to go making a new guy feel welcome. Not all of you, just a couple of regulars.

He asked a simple question. "What the heck did I buy?"

He's not looking for advice on whether he paid too much, or trying to misrepresent the manufacturer of his car (he's only going by what the plate says and what he was told). He is just looking to get more info about the car he now owns. So, if you have any thoughts that could help him out, share them.

So how about we uncircle the wagons, put the dogs back in the pen and offer up some of that vast knowlege that we know is available on this forum?
Benzito likes this.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
He asked a simple question. "What the heck did I buy?"
I'm quite comfortable declaring it to be, maybe, a long lost CSX car, of some sort, and I'm sure Nedsel and Computerworks are right there in my corner on that.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I'm not sure why this guy is getting a hard time, other than the $19k boast, which, I suppose, might induce some sarcasm on this side of the pond too.
My only interest here was the possibility of magnesium wheels. So don't shoot me. But, I agree with KevinW, the boast of a $19K profit yet unrealized could have been the culprit for some of the sarcasm.

Now, if someone were willing to give me $19K over my cost basis plus a return on my equity, then I would be out of here and over to the much classier Ferrari Chat forum.

Oh and it's time to drop in a real FE in there.
KevinW likes this.

Last edited by RodKnock; 03-19-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

jwilgie,

This group of guys is sort of like a fraternity. You'll get sh*t, even when you've been around a while. Just thicken your skin, dive right in (like you have), and don't give up. Once you're 'in', you will have earned the right to tell us what you really think. And by that time we will have grown on you like a fungus.
Nice work, for a first thread and all

Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA HiPo 289 with Shelby dual quad intake
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilgie View Post
I hope that the negative responses haven't stopped you from coming back to the forum, some of us (hopefully most) would still like to help you ID the car. The photos you posted were helpful but not conclusive, if it is a Unique Motor car replica a better picture of the engine compartment showing the steering column, master cylinders and radiator angle, etc would help, also since Unique is still making cars you could call them in Gadsden Alabama and they might know the car just from the picture.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I'm quite comfortable declaring it to be, maybe, a long lost CSX car, of some sort, and I'm sure Nedsel and Computerworks are right there in my corner on that.
Now I'm feeling left out of the inside jokes. What about me or mrmustang? Evan's clearly not paying attention, have you considered somehow mentioning Jamo?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Not Ranked     

If it is a Unique, you have a good car someone put together, if you have a Unique that was a Unique factory built car, you have a great car. Enjoy the car and give the Weavers a call at Unique. They will give you the complete story on the car.

Juan

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904