Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Help me ID the builder

Hey guys,

I picked up an older build for a good price several months ago and have been searching this site from stem to stern trying to find something similar. No luck. So give me a hand.

I posted a few pics in my gallery. Please take a look and give me your best guess.

What I know:

No identifying marks, serial numbers or tags of any sort.

3" tube chassis. Jag front and IRS rear suspension.

Girling calipers all around.

Coil overs all around, 4 in the rear.

Steering shaft routed over the top of the drivers footbox.

Drivers compartment is one piece, attached to body. Trans tunnel is non removable.

Pedal box is a modified unit from a doner car. cable actuated throttle and clutch.

Gs tanks is huge and is mounted in the trunk. Take up the entire space.

Exhaust made up of factory manifolds, a J pipe and 4 tube side pipes.

The body seems smaller than some. There are no flares on the rear fenders.

9 1/2" Vintage wheels with 4" offset and 275 BFGs rub the fenders on big bumps.

Give me your best guess...
Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hi Dave, certainly a less common Cobra with the street style rear fenders. Looks like XJ6 front end in it to go with the rear. I see what you mean about the XJ6 rear width. It will be nice to narrow it so that the tires tuck in and you can lower it. There are a few 289 cues there too, underslung pipes, dropped centre dash. 3 in tube frame you say, hmmmmm??
Old 05-01-2013, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looked at the pictures, unsure.

Last edited by Rich A; 05-01-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the comments Mickmate. I found a drive shaft shop that will shorten the XJ components to my dimensions. No luck locating E-type parts, the only quote I received was $1475 for two half shafts and two lower control arms. I had to pass on that deal.

Rumor has it that you are in the planning stage to make tubular lower control arms, put me on the list. I'm sure there are other that want to get their name on the list also.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This looks to be the package that was manufactured in New Zealand called the Ace Classic by Ace Auto Services Ltd. and distributed in the USA by a business in Reseda, CA. If you can locate another owner of this make, they could confirm this one way or the other. It was quite a long time ago when I saw one at the distributor and have forgotten how the under carriage went. The body mold was supposively came from an AC289 there. Best of luck and have fun with it. AJ