Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default One thing I don't like about my Cobra

First let me say it's been a while since I posted anything and was reminded of that the other day.So here it goes! I love everything about my Cobra except the way it sounds at idle.I want that lumpy,hollow,metallic sound.If I didn't explain myself well enough,there's a segment on YouTube entitled original 427 start up I think.Its a blue 66 SC with license REAL1.Thats the sound Im looking for or close to it not having a big block 427!
I know I'll have to start with the cam and maybe even the side pipes.Mine are actually quiet at idle,an airy muffled sound,sorry the best I could do.It sounds great when you give it some gas but not at idle.I know there's a lot of information needed when choosing a cam,so I'll do the best I can.The car has changed hands several times.
Ford 351W crate motor
Edelbrock aluminum performer heads,intake and cam.Don't know the specs on the cam, except that it's mild,too mild for me.
750 cfm carb
Tremec 3550 5 speed
3.37 gears
Power brakes
Weekend driver
Looking forward to any input.
Thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

A custom cam would probably be best. Instead of increasing the duration to get the sound, it would be better to shorten the LSA, otherwise you'll put the power out of the range where you drive and will kill the low end power.

I can help...
Old 05-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I can help...
Marc wants his small block to sound like my "old school" throwback FE. Click Me to Hear Patrickt's FE
Old 05-27-2013, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's right Patrict.Like I said,realizing I don't have a big block, as close as I can get. BTW sounds beautiful
Old 05-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wulf View Post
That's right Patrict.Like I said,realizing I don't have a big block, as close as I can get. BTW sounds beautiful
If you've read through the many threads were Chas and I go at it, you know it's a running joke that my FE is a good 75 to a 100 horses less than his, and blykins is always ragging on me for my cam choice (it's a throwback to the old, old days). But, one of the main reasons I went with my old-school set-up is for the sound. If anybody can take your SB and give you the sound you want it's blykins. I'd just turn him loose on it, if I were you.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok Patrict Thanks and thank you Blykins did I supply enough information to choose a cam?
Old 05-27-2013, 03:30 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

For your combo, go with a custom cam. This is a small block ford, with an off the shelf cam though (comp cams 35-427-8) .

I think it sounds pretty good...

GOPR0046001co - YouTube
Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

What's going to hurt you is that you're running power brakes. I don't know of a lot of Cobras that have vacuum boosters, and it hinders the "window of opportunity" by quite a bit.

I have enough info and if you're happy with the powerband of the engine, I would stay with something pretty similar, albeit with a higher tech lobe than the Edelbrock cam, and stick it on a shorter LSA. It would sound pretty mean but wouldn't ham-string you on performance.

Shoot me an email if you're interested...

brent@b2motorsportsllc.com
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I run power brakes, but I have an electric vacuum pump on the booster....
Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Here's the sound of my engine....
Idle and Off the line..
Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

WOW.. that sounds healthy!!
and the 9 sec club>? in a cobra? WOW again.
Suspension set up to go straight AND turn? that is a lot in one car.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown871 View Post
...and the 9 sec club>?
... uhhh, a lot of the guys around here are members of the 9 second club, or so their wives claim.
427 Street likes this.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BAZINGA!!!
but the BEST 9 seconds of their lives...............

try the veal...
Old 05-28-2013, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Y'all did notice that Hotfingrs runs a Chevy?? NASTY!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

.. yes I did 'note' that.. and it appears to be back a bit too.. (or maybe just my perception of it...' ; and if so the weight balance.. has got to be good ...) or maybe just seeing a chevy in that spot has my eyes... fooled.

Last edited by blown871; 05-28-2013 at 08:45 AM..
Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     

Here is an older video of my car...I have changed the aesthetics of the engine, and a few things in the interior to make it as close to stock 1966 in appearance, but it is essentially the same sound. The mufflers and pipes had not been ceramic coated yet either.

Basically, a 500HP 1964 427. Before I bought it, the car was close to 600hp with a different cam, carb, etc. but it was tuned down a bit. Exhaust...Headers and 20" unpacked glass packs from Classic Chambered Exhaust.

I hope this helps....it is hard to get the full effect of the motor and exhaust note through a $149 Flip Video camera:

1966 ERA 427 Street Cobra - YouTube
xb-60 likes this.

Last edited by 427 Street; 05-28-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

b871, maybe you were just wanting the distributor to be closer to the radiator? He runs just a small block but gets a whole lot of cubic inches out of it and bunches of power. I'm also thinking that he'd told me once that the car weighs close to 2800#s, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by Karl Bebout; 05-28-2013 at 01:24 PM..
Old 05-28-2013, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Sound

THIS is what/how a 427 should sound, it reminds me of what I had in CSX 3183, and that cam might still be in it. I last drove it about 7 years ago, the owner, a member here I believe let me take it for a spin, with my wife who didn't marry me until after I sold the car..

If the link doesn't work, go to the FE forum, go to page 39, and click on DYNO'S 427

332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum: DYNO427's Car At Idle
Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default love em all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
b871, maybe you were just wanting the distributor to be closer to the radiator? He runs just a small block but gets a whole lot of cubic inches out of it and bunches of power. I'm also thinking that he'd told me once that the car weighs close to 2800#s, if I'm not mistaken.
--
dont get me wrong.. I have always been a chevyman...(have a blown pro street car chevelle: 33 years).. love all makes of engines and cars. The power to weight combination in these car is incredible. My search for the right car continues. I have been taking everyone's advice and looking, asking and making sure it is the RIGHT car for me when it happens.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX3183 View Post
THIS is what/how a 427 should sound, it reminds me of what I had in CSX 3183, and that cam might still be in it. I last drove it about 7 years ago, the owner, a member here I believe let me take it for a spin, with my wife who didn't marry me until after I sold the car..

If the link doesn't work, go to the FE forum, go to page 39, and click on DYNO'S 427

332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum: DYNO427's Car At Idle
Yep, sounds good.