Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1962, 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default Replacement for a Cobra.

So... Here goes the mayhem. I am looking for a suitable replacement for my SPF 427 Cobra.

My Cobra sits in the garage wanting to be driven, and the weather seems to hinder my ability to do that. My wife wants to go for a weekend trip in the fun car, but the top is a pain in the ass. I get it running perfect, and then something else needs attention. The list goes on and on and on. I love this car, but can't afford to have this one and another one to drive on the less desirable days.

So...

What is a good replacement that is fun to drive, gets all the looks like the Cobra does, and is reliable to drive regularly? Help...

GTM? What else?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     
Default (wow)

I wish I had that problem.....................

(just sayin).................................
roxx likes this.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkucin View Post
What is a good replacement that is fun to drive, gets all the looks like the Cobra does, and is reliable to drive regularly? Help...

GTM? What else?
A Corvette Z06.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Daytona coupe. The SPF version is very livable with side windows, heat, AC etc.
Larry
Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

I'm facing the same dilemma. I loved building my Cobra but I don't like driving it so much. I've pretty much decided on a Superlite Coupe by Race Car Replicas: SuperLite Cars Made in the USA, Engineered to Win on the Street and Track by Race Car Replicas

I also considered a FFR '33 and a GT-40. After visiting the RCR I was sold on the SL-C. The quality of the kit is just amazing, far better than any other kit car I've ever seen.

Pete
Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
So... Here goes the mayhem. I am looking for a suitable replacement for my SPF 427 Cobra.

My Cobra sits in the garage wanting to be driven, and the weather seems to hinder my ability to do that. My wife wants to go for a weekend trip in the fun car, but the top is a pain in the ass. I get it running perfect, and then something else needs attention. The list goes on and on and on. I love this car, but can't afford to have this one and another one to drive on the less desirable days.

So...

GTM? What else?
I think this is a great car that meets all of the requirements that you seek.

Not a 427 cobra but an outstanding, fast and reliable car.

Jaydee likes this.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar, 427 Center Oiler
Not Ranked     

Call me partial..... JBL Coupe, touring chassis, coyote motor (or LS even, but yuck), 6 speed, heat/AC, power windows, actualy storage area, etc. Much more affordable than SPF coupe as well and probably as good or better performer. How many coupes do you see every day? Mine was the only one at the Mid America Ford/Shelby meet.

GTMs are cool, but i think a complicated build. SLCs are awesome performance machines, but I don't think would be very comfortable going to the Dairy Queen, let alone on a trip (no storage either I believe)

Yes on a Corvette if you want a real car. Won't turn heads though.

Mat
Old 06-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

2014 Porsche Cayman S

The new Cayman S - All Cayman Models - All Porsche Vehicles - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
Old 06-18-2013, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

Monster Miata with an aluminum LS1 chevy, 6 speed, incredible handling and power, comes with hardtop, plus you can even put in AC if so desired
Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

I'm not going to replace my Cobra, but with kids some time in the future I am going to eventually add a pro-touring (comfy suspension and interior/air/heat with efi LSX) 69 camaro. It should be the perfect family car...I guess. It does everything that a new "muscle" car does without the depreciation. And everything the Cobra won't do. So a pro-touring car/hot rod might be a consideration for you.

If you want a cruiser, something that you never have to tinker with and is a comfortable car to drive the majority of the time, a "kit car" is just not the way to go. Instead of a GTM/SLC, just get a Z06. You obviously aren't looking to make a track only car that occasionally drives on the street...more or less you want the complete opposite.

If you want something that still gets a lot of looks, is great fun to drive but not quite as comfortable as the Z06, get a Viper. You trade off what little comfort the Z06 gives you for a lot more looks.

The Porsche 911 996/997/991 will all do the same as the above also. A maserati, older f-car (360), millions of other cars as well.

I say if looks are what you want, along with drive-ability, get a Viper. Comfort can't be your number one concern do to you wanting a GTM, so I imagine that this trade-off is just fine.

Last edited by itstock; 06-18-2013 at 01:09 PM..
Old 06-18-2013, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Vett's, Vipers, Porsche's..... fun to drive, reliable and all are good options, but no way will they get the attention of the Cobra.

SLC will get attention and is an incredible car, but with a 3 1/2" ride height isn't really practical for street driving.

The coupe.... that's an option.

Last edited by dallas_; 06-18-2013 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-18-2013, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
Vett's, Vipers, Porsche's..... fun to drive, reliable and all are good options, but no way will they get the attention of the Cobra.

SLC will get attention and is an incredible car, but with a 3 1/2" ride height isn't really practical for street driving.
SLC does offer optional hydraulic lifts to temporarily increase the ride height for speed bumps, driveways, etc.

Personnally, although I love the coupe, the FFR looks like too much work to build and the SPF is just too expensive.

Pete
Old 06-18-2013, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The simple truth.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Viking Blue "64" 289 FIA comp car by Superformance #0002, Keith Craft - 331 (460HP), Jim Inglese - 48IDA Weber carbs, BW T10 4spd.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You can also forget about the heart pounding adrenaline rush and that feeling like you forgot to take a wizz....

D111 likes this.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:

So...

GTM? What else?
Viper GTS ...the modern-day equivalent of the Cobra

Jaydee likes this.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     
Default Just poking some fun.

I ran this problem past my magic 8-ball for you, it suggested the problem is not the car...

It then suggested you try a tea-spoon of cement and hard'n the 'ell up.
It further suggested if a tea-spoon doesn't work, try a table spoon followed by a shovel.

It then went on again to suggest that your wife is tough enough to survive a little cold, wind and rain, and seeing as she is was, my magic 8-ball was worried you may be hiding your true feelings for the cobra via this display of chivalry.

Personally, I think you buy a '67 Mini Cooper S, they are a blast to drive hard, as their little wheels make 60mph seem like 100mph. Plus take little space, relatively cheap, so you should be able to keep both.

That way you will be nice and cosy while your lovely wife drives off in the cobra.

Sorry champ. Just poking fun.
But give serious thought to the cooper S (or even an old school porsche).
It's a different kind of fun to drive.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

I'm in with a 34 Ford.

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you are in it for the looks you get, you probably should not be driving a Cobra because it will bite you, especially if you are not totally focused on driving it all the time every time.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

There is no replacement for a Cobra

Just like

There is nothing like the stench of the iguana
86fxst likes this.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default I do not like the attention..period

IMHO you simply cannot beat a Corvette for value and there is a dealer every 75 miles in North America.

A 911 is a unique fun car to drive but they are very expensive to repair or maintain . If you live in a rural area, you will likely have to go hundreds of miles to fine a dealer and the service manager will wear a white shirt and tie and speak with a accent..it costs $399 for a oil change....good luck.

I have both and you can actually drive them 700 miles in a day (if you want) as opposed to the 100 I can tolerate in the SPF.

I just ordered a JPS Coupe (Porsche 356 Replica) that I expect to be a lot of fun, you can get them with a water cooled Subaru for about 1/2 the cost of a SPF. Check them out. They also make a Speedster.

I don't think you can miss with the Corvette, IMHO they are world class Gran Touring machines.
rpatton3 likes this.

Last edited by Bartruff1; 06-19-2013 at 06:21 AM..