Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Newsnake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 302
Neutral     
Default Has any one sold a car to European exporters?

Hi,
I am selling my 289 cobra, I have several interested parties. Three individuals import cars to Europe. If any one has experience selling their car in this manor please let me know. Anything excessively negative give me a private message. Thanks for your help.

I appreciate all the help the people at club cobra have given me over the years.

Thanks again!
soulman likes this.

Last edited by Newsnake; 06-27-2013 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: Bad spellling
Old 06-27-2013, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

I'm pretty sure MrMustang has. Send him a pm.

John O
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, I will ask his advice. He has given me great advice several times and he has always been amazingly knowledgable and helpful. Clubcobra is extremely lucky to have him as a member.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsnake View Post
Hi,
I am selling my 289 cobra, I have several interested parties. Three individuals import cars to Europe. If any one has experience selling their car in this manor please let me know. Anything excessively negative give me a private message. Thanks for your help.

I appreciate all the help the people at club cobra have given me over the years.

Thanks again!
I'm not an exporter, but I am a European (private) and I have imported a few cars and a Harley from US.

It is in fact quite easy - here is what I have done:

I find the car/bike on www

If it is a private seller I ask where he got it from (dealer) or search for a dealer nearby and arrange for this dealer to "inspect" the car/bike and the paperwork

When the car is inspected I ask the dealer to act as facilitator = he take the car, sales contract and title and only release when buyer have confirmed that payment has been done via bank transfer.

Dealer then hand over the car to my chosen transporter and I get the car

I have asked the dealer to perform service / sell me "parts" each time... it is his payment for his help.

Easy and safe for both parts...
Old 06-28-2013, 03:34 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik View Post
I'm not an exporter, but I am a European (private) and I have imported a few cars and a Harley from US.

It is in fact quite easy - here is what I have done:

I find the car/bike on www

If it is a private seller I ask where he got it from (dealer) or search for a dealer nearby and arrange for this dealer to "inspect" the car/bike and the paperwork

When the car is inspected I ask the dealer to act as facilitator = he take the car, sales contract and title and only release when buyer have confirmed that payment has been done via bank transfer.

Dealer then hand over the car to my chosen transporter and I get the car

I have asked the dealer to perform service / sell me "parts" each time... it is his payment for his help.

Easy and safe for both parts...

Pre-purchase inspections are always suggested, however, you and I would never have done business, as I never allow the car or the funds to leave my physical possession until the funds (wire transfer only for out of Country transactions) have cleared my bank. The liability on the car is all mine as the seller, so playing around with "third parties" has it's inherent risks for the seller and are not ever suggested.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-28-2013, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

You can also pay a fee to an American company like PaySAFE Escrow or Escrow.com and they will make sure the funds are safe and properly transferred before you release the car for transport
Old 06-28-2013, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: WTB MK IV
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsnake View Post
Hi,

Thanks again!
i sold my 82 911sc to a guy in germany and 98 c2s to a broker in switzerland. both wired cash ..... no problems
Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the insight.
Mike
Old 06-28-2013, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

When I sold my cobra to Denmark, the buyer sent money via Western Union. Once the funds were in my hand, I drove to car to a local shipping transfer location and that was it.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
When I sold my cobra to Denmark, the buyer sent money via Western Union. Once the funds were in my hand, I drove to car to a local shipping transfer location and that was it.
I tried something like that once...

The "respectful" gentleman in Boston kept both the money and the car

Lesson: Don't send money/car and trust a stranger to honor the deal in future!

Use a third party - that is the most secure for Buyer - and if seller don't want that... find another car.

( so no, mr.mustang and I would not make a deal... he does not trust anybody, but ask me to pay in trust to him )

Last edited by henrik; 06-28-2013 at 11:26 PM..
Old 06-29-2013, 02:15 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik View Post
( so no, mr.mustang and I would not make a deal... he does not trust anybody, but ask me to pay in trust to him )

In my case it comes down to reputation, and I am a known entity with a proven track record, you as the overseas buyer does not. In this day and age of internet scam, buying or selling with unknown individuals has truly become a risky business. Third party companies have popped up for this, but even their track record has flaws (read their liability T's and C's, several have gotten caught 2-4 weeks after the car has left after being paid for), which is why I suggest the pre-purchase inspection, and the bank to bank wire transfers. Gives traceable steps to keep the true scams from happening to either party and has not failed me yet in dozens of overseas deals both as a buyer and a seller.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-05-2013, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

I'm in Australia and have bought cars from CA, CT, IL, FL and WA. One from a well known dealer and the rest from private sellers. I feel like I need to spend the first few emails or phone calls explaining that I'm overseas but talking the seller through the steps of how to make the transaction "safe" for them.

I think Nigerian scammers have a lot to answer for...

In each instance to protect myself, I have made enquiries to ensure the seller is genuine (it's a small world and with 6 degrees of separation, it's fascinating to see how much information is available online) but ultimately each time I have wired the funds directly to the seller's bank account without using a third party.

Each time I have offered to wait for the funds to be transferred to another account or another bank (or heck, withdraw it as cold hard cash if that's what makes them comfortable), before I arrange for Intercity Lines to pick up the car.

Haven't ever had an issue. The cars have always been as described or better. Everyone's happy!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Once a deal has been struck, email confirmation with "Secure Signature" if you wish but have at least ONE person to person phone call.

Scanning the passports as well as the title can connect the dots to a reasonable assurance of a "real" car, vs scam.
Inspections are usually necessary unless the "interview" coupled with high-resolution pictures provide the confidence you require.
...........and yep wire xfer, international take about 3 days, but is solid in terms of security.