Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302
Not Ranked     
Default Driving schools for new owner

Hey all. I take delivery of my first cobra in a couple of weeks -reading all i can in the meantime- and in addition to changing out my BFG's, I've also decided I need some professional instruction. I live in Florida and would appreciate any suggestions for courses to get to know these awesome machines. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I highly recommend doing a track day at one of the tracks in Florida. If you have a Backdraft you might talk to Reg Dodd and see if he can steer you to a track where you can get use to your Cobra. Short wheel base and big HP has gotten many first timers in trouble before they were able to enjoy what they have.

To be honest you need to know your limits as well as your cars. Find out what each of you will do when you punch it and you hit someones condensation from their AC with your back wheels. These cars are great fun and attention getters (beyond anything you have experienced) but to be truly Cool you must stay in control.

Enjoy your new ride and hook up with some of the other Florida Cobra guys and make some events together. You are about to become one of the family.

Clois Harlan-Tulsa

Just noticed you have a Factory Five...you have a lot of fellow FFR guys in Florida too.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ex-owner ERA FIA 2062
Not Ranked     

Track days are OK, but I would recommend finding a local group to autocross with first, because you can really test out the car/driver limits with little or no risk to the car and driver. It's also less expensive than a track day. A good place to start is Online motorsports registration for social, driving and competition racing events - MotorsportReg.com and search in your area.

Gary
Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM
Not Ranked     

Autocross is a fantastic way to start. You will learn the basics of car dynamics and get a chance to practice in an environment that has little chance of causing harm to you or your new car. track days later down the road perhaps.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

The Sports Car Club of America - Solo

Find clubs in your region on SCCAs site.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I would third the recommendation on the autocross experience first. I have done several autocross events and they are plenty challenging. The risk to your Cobra is at worst hitting a cone. Go into it with the understanding that you won't compete very well with the MX-5 or almost any other little import. No worry, everyone will love watching and listening to you rumble through the course. Track days is the best argument I know for two roll bars. It is so much better if you have a coach sitting next to you when you drive. Most courses don't allow a passenger in a convertible without roll bar protection. The best training I got was in a MX-5 with a coach on the Pacific Raceway in Washington.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302
Not Ranked     

Great suggestions....found a couple autocross events upcoming within a couple hours drive in the coming months.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
All the above are great suggestions, but I also suggest that before you take on a road course on open track day you find a good driving school at one of the tracks and attend it. Many of the tracks have them and ours is always filled for months ahead. I have went to several and always learned something each time.

Have a great time with your Cobra and be safe.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Try Hooked on Driving (HOD) as they have instruction as well as open track in your own car. They have several events in Florida as well as other tracks across the country.