23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Formula One in Austin (2013)

Is anyone attending the Formula One race in November? Had a great time last year.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Exact 427 Carbon Car
Not Ranked     

Wouldn't miss it for the world! Bought a seat license at Turn 1 when they were first offered up and have been enjoying all the racing since it has opened. Next weekend the US Vintage Racing National Championship will be there with close to 600 cars.
U.S. VINTAGE RACING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP OCTober 25-26-27 | Circuit of The Americas - Home of the Formula 1 US Grand Prix | Nov. 16-18, 2012 | Austin TX

While all the racing has been interesting nothing beats F1 in real life. If you attend it's an experience you will never forget.
Later,
Richard
Exact 427 Carbon Car
Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

We went last year and were hooked. Got seat licenses in Turn 15. Great view. Definitely worth attending.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My schedule has been sort of whacky with trips to Florida to oversee a project. Austin I had never visited before and the people there were great. I hosted a man from the wounded warrior program and Ferrari N.A. gave him credentials to everything. Austin had the 10 or 11 block area all for pedestrian traffic only. Great times with some of the Ferrari pit crew at a blues western themed bar. When I get home I'll dig out a newsletter that I sent out. I usually try to go to Brasil for the last race, but would like to head to Austin again.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes I will be there working Tech Inspection for F1. Not sure what team I'm assigned to just yet. Disappointed that V8 Supercars are not returning in 2014 as well as World Endurance Challenge.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had a request some time ago to sponsor a person to attend the race in Brasil. There was too many issues and possible complications if health problems arose. Trying to get a few guys from the WW EOD to the race. This was a piece for email members for last years event.

Formula One returns to the US

The United States now has a permanent home for Formula One racing in Austin, Texas. I've heard the figure of $400 million has been spent building this track with all the support facilities. I'm sure a big chunk was for licensing fees to Eclestone to host a Formula One race. Watkins Glen hosted Formula 1 for over 20 years and then there were temporary tracks built in cities such as Phoenix, Detroit, and the Indy 500 site.

Arrived in Austin Thursday night just in time to catch an Aerosmith concert. Never had the chance to see them perform live, other than at the Super Bowl, and my daughters were excited to meet them. I have to say first off Austin is a friendly city. There were countless events built around this week of racing. I understand over 100 music acts, both great art, film and music festivals took place. Downtown over 11 city blocks were closed off to cars for the people to enjoy walking and enjoying that entertainment area. As I stated the people were very friendly and helpful.

I've been to other Texan cities such as Dallas and San Antonia(never forget it being 111 degrees in the shade by the river walk) but never Austin. I missed Friday mornings first practice session at the track because I had noticed a few great antique stores the night before. I bought a few unique pieces and I was told this area was known for its antiques.
I understand during the first practice session EVERYONE was sliding around on the track. This was understandable because the track was just finished and sand and construction dust was still on the tracks surface. The track was not rubbered in as the term goes. It was also very chilly in the morning so that combined with a new track made it exciting to see the cars go through the curves.

Arrived at the track via heli and I understand there were over 600 trips booked according to this contractor providing the service. All the people were very helpful directing you to where you wanted to go. Not the usual you don' belong here or what are you doing in this area, the people actually asked you where you wanted to go. Spent the afternoon in the Ferrari guests hospitality area because the previous week I had made arrangements with Ferrari to host a man(David) that was in the Wounded Warrior EOD program. I also liked to talk to my racer friend from Brasil and catch up on things.

Second practice on Friday the track times a little lower but some drivers described it like tires are ice cubes sliding around the track. Still not enough rubber left on the track since they were using mostly the harder compound tires. Had a meet and greet with Mario Andretti, the tracks ambassador. It seems like yesterday that he had just won in Long Beach. I actually had to ask someone and was told it was about 35 years ago!
Also had a chance to catch the view on the 250 foot tower platform. Beautiful view with a see through floor! I understand that other circuits are inquiring about getting this feature built at their venue.

Friday evening I met David and a bunch of Ferrari personnel(engineers and mechanics) at a blues and western themed venue. Imagine a bunch of Italians at a western/blues bar. There were a bunch of musical acts that I never heard before and the night was interesting. Much debate over rules and new rules going into effect for next year. From what David told me these guys were really treating him like one of the family.

Saturday's morning practice the lap times were decreasing but still a very slippery track. After the mornings practice the track was given over to the over 35 former Formula 1 race cars to use. Some vintage racers from past and present. My daughters had brought their racing helmets with them and I told them they probably wouldn't get a chance to use them. WRONG! There was this unique two seater race car that was made some time ago and each one had a chance to be driven on the track. They are use to be close to the ground when racing their carts but being at 18 inches from the ground at speed had an impression on them.

Saturday afternoon qualifying time and lap times are getting lower. Vettel fastest lap and Hamilton right behind him. Hamilton will end up on the dirty side of the track. Had a chance to talk to other teams like Lotus and McLaren and everyone is happy to be back in the US racing.
I just want to give a shout out to Ferrari North America which is based in Jersey. The people in the VIP/hospitality suites treated my guest like royalty. I understand Ron Howard the actor/director sat down and ate lunch with David. Ron was a guest all week in the Ferrari area, not sure if he was working on his racing film "Rush" because I didn't get a chance to speak with him. He does have a residence in my town and this is one man that I never heard a bad thing about...only good. I arranged for some of the Ferrari crew to stop by a real good old fashioned boot maker that I found in town. Everything hand tooled, boots, saddles, belts and half the shop is shared with a silversmith. So I treated whomever made it to the shop to a hat, boots, belt and an American made silver belt buckle.

Ferrari was also host to their Ferrari Challenge all weekend and on Saturday night they auctioned off the first US F12 Berlinetta for $1.12 million and I understand their entire fund raiser topped $1.5 which went towards the Sandy relief effort via American Red Cross.
So Sunday morning the GT3 cup race took place along with the Ferrari Challenge race. Pit Lane was opened up for the Paddock Club to walk through and then the drivers parade took place. Race started at 1pm local time. Hamilton lost a few places on the start because he was on the dirty side. Interesting thing before the race Ferrari broke the seal on their car in order to lose 5 places so Massa could start on the clean side!
I thought it was a great race. Hamilton eventually near the end took the lead until the end and won. I am glad to see him win before he moves to another team next year. Vettel took 2nd place and Alonso and Massa for Ferrari took 3rd and 4Th respectively.
The championship will have to wait until next week with the final race in Brasil! Vettel leads Alonso by 13 points in the championship so this next race will decide it all. Alonso is tough in Brasil is all I can say but Vettel and Red Bull have been coming on strong.
All I can say is the people were great in Austin, the track impressive and my girls are already planning on a return trip!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Y'all come on down. We need to pack the track and keep it open.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 10-27-2013, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I bought tickets for all 3 days last year in turn 15. Doing the same this year. It was a blast! Sure is a cool way to celebrate my birthday!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:48 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I'm told several clearances for all most access is heading my way. I guess we will see. My daughters want me to ship their carts there so they could do a few laps on the track. They are taking after me and getting out of control. lol
Old 11-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just got my credentials and all for the race. bringing some sailors in from Coronado. I promised some Italians last year I would bring them to a real texas experience. Any food establishments or great texan places to visit near the track or Austin. Not a place for tourist but the real deal. I'll probably be on the 9th floor at the Four Seasons where they have the one bedroom suites.

I'll check for messages here in about a week. Thanks
Old 11-01-2013, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

If you like barbeque, I recommend Stubbs. He used to be under I-35 near 26th street, as I recall. A good hole-in-the-wall local experience. SRV and other have played in this tiny trap, so you might have some interest for that aspect as well.

Otherwise, there is the Countyline BBQ out on FM 2222, on the river. More upscale than Stubbs, but still down-home cookin

There is also the place where Janis used to play locally. I think it is on Lamar, on the North end of town, but I can't remember the name... Maybe someone more local can chime in.

Last edited by ItBites; 11-01-2013 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: added another suggestion
Old 11-01-2013, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Went last year to Monaco and to Austin. I highly recommend both. I also recommend booking one of the Helicopter transports. I have a client and we flew in from Houston, the only way to get in without hassle.

It was a bit odd though hearing the British anthem watching an Englishman wearing a Stetson with an Italian tyre manufacturer on it being sprayed with French Champagne.....
Old 11-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
Went last year to Monaco and to Austin. I highly recommend both. I also recommend booking one of the Helicopter transports. I have a client and we flew in from Houston, the only way to get in without hassle.

It was a bit odd though hearing the British anthem watching an Englishman wearing a Stetson with an Italian tyre manufacturer on it being sprayed with French Champagne.....

I use to love Monaco....man the traffic!!! Yeah I mentioned the heli in my piece from last year. Best way.

Before I had children i use to go to about 6-10 events a year. Brasil I almost always attend.