• 1 Post By NROTOXIN
  • 1 Post By Dominik

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2820 408W; former ERA CCX 3-3408 owner
Not Ranked     
Default Alternatives to Superformance windscreen glass.

The small crack in my windshield, due to a stone chip, is growing and I need to replace the windshield. Superformance wants $575 for a replacement windshield. Are there any alternatives? I thought I read somewhere that someone was making replacement windscreens out of something else besides glass? Maybe some sort of plexiglass?
Old 11-27-2013, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3.1 / 347 Stroker 425 HP
Not Ranked     

Fast Freddies's

Fast Freddie's Fabrications
Old 11-27-2013, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Performance Unlimited has a proven replacement for the Superformance MKIII windshield glass. Priced reasonably and very durable.

Cobra Valley's PolyGlass Hi-Performance Windshields

Jim Kellogg
Sawdust likes this.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

X2 on the Cobra Valley product.
I have it - it's great.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

I like this solution!

Full Width Comp Screen Full Width Comp Screen [] - $595.00 : Acton Custom Enterprises, Custom Metal for Cobras
Old 10-18-2021, 09:20 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a Superformance MKIII Ser. No. 606 with a cracked windshield. Need advice on best way to replace windshield with glass not polyglass. I understand that the early MKIIIs are difficult to replace and best to replace frame and glass together. Any advise please. Jim
Old 10-18-2021, 11:54 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

We have glass that fits the early SPF frame, before the cowl height was raised. $395.00

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-18-2021, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default $100k car and your worried about $500 bucks?

$100k car and your worried about $500 bucks?
Old 10-18-2021, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloo View Post
$100k car and your worried about $500 bucks?
You know you responded to a 2013 post....better late than never. It's "you're" not "your" by the way.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Give the newcomer a break. He searched the forum first for his topic and replied to an existing thread, albeit a bit old :-)

Others keep asking over and over in new posts: "what is better BB or SB" ;-)
xb-60 likes this.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NROTOXIN View Post
You know you responded to a 2013 post....better late than never. It's "you're" not "your" by the way.
Thanks school Marm
Old 10-19-2021, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default X3 on Cobra Valley Plastic Windshield

I DIRVE my car, coming up on 50k when i see most guys after years and years still have a zero on their odo's...

Anyway that being said i have about 30K of unforgiving CA driving on my CV lexan windshield, and can report that a BIG object that hit it on the freeway left nothing more than a little nick, its easy to clean, and doesn't crack from the little mounting screws touching it...

Go ahead and put glass in, and count on doing it again and again...

My $.02 on the subject.

Steve
SPF 1746
Old 10-19-2021, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Be advised that a Lexan windshield may not be DOT approved.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 10-20-2021, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I’m on my third windshield after more than 32,000 miles of driving. Windshield cracks are covered by your comprehensive insurance. That’s why I maintain a $250 deductible on my comprehensive insurance. Doesn’t matter to me how much spf charges for a windshield. I’m only out $250.
Some companies will let you go as low as no deductible but you need to weigh cost versus benefit.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
I’m on my third windshield after more than 32,000 miles of driving. Windshield cracks are covered by your comprehensive insurance. That’s why I maintain a $250 deductible on my comprehensive insurance. Doesn’t matter to me how much spf charges for a windshield. I’m only out $250.
Some companies will let you go as low as no deductible but you need to weigh cost versus benefit.
Except that comprehensive claims count against you as a claim. Your current company might not jack your rates for a comprehensive glass claim but if you change companies you will get surcharged. And it used to be three years, now it's 5 or 7 depending on who you go with. Is it really worth spending 200 more per year for 5 years for a 250 claim??? I'm increasing my deductibles to 1000 or more. How do I know? We were driving back to Colorado and went through a space where they had just chip sealed. Got some paint damage on the hood and a chip in the glass. Agent (who is a broker) said my current company doesn't but all the others just see it as a claim and surcharge accordingly.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had a Fast Freddy i think they are fine for the track, not cheap but I think glass is the way to go
Old 10-20-2021, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Except that comprehensive claims count against you as a claim. Your current company might not jack your rates for a comprehensive glass claim but if you change companies you will get surcharged. And it used to be three years, now it's 5 or 7 depending on who you go with. Is it really worth spending 200 more per year for 5 years for a 250 claim??? I'm increasing my deductibles to 1000 or more. How do I know? We were driving back to Colorado and went through a space where they had just chip sealed. Got some paint damage on the hood and a chip in the glass. Agent (who is a broker) said my current company doesn't but all the others just see it as a claim and surcharge accordingly.
You are incorrect. Comp claims do not count against your driving or claims record. And my $250 deductible costs me an additional $23 per year, so yes, it’s definitely worth it.

Last edited by jhv48; 10-20-2021 at 04:24 PM..
Old 10-20-2021, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
You are incorrect. Comp claims do not count against your driving or claims record. And my $250 deductible costs me an additional $23 per year, so yes, it’s definitely worth it.
Well, I was merely relaying what my agent told me:

If you have company X and file a comprehensive claim your rates won't go up if you stay with Company X.

However, if you change to Company Y, Y will raise your rates.

The reason she cautioned me was that she shops rates every year and in 3 of the last 5 years we've switched.

I have no reason not to trust the advice.

Now understand that rules from state insurance commissions vary all over the place, so maybe this is in Nevada. Our rates in Vegas are the highest I've ever had including Massachusetts. The daily driver policies increased by 70% over Colorado. People drive like idiots here.

I am not at all surprised. Two classes of business NEVER lose money (unless mismanaged into the ground.) My wise old daddy told me that if I wanted to be rich I should make a bank or an insurance company.