• 1 Post By Jimbocobra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft help/bmw suspension/rear end

Can anyone shed light on what exactly is BMW in the Backdraft Cobra's?

Also, my understanding is that they use a "one wheel wonder" rear end. Why?

Lastly, if I order a Backdraft, I would order a limited slip. What gear ration and any other tips are recommended? 575 HP with Tremec 5 speed.

Thanks

Tim

Last edited by Tschreif; 12-01-2013 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: TITLE
Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft#357, 392CI Ford Racing, 459hp, 455ft/lbs , TKO 500, 3.43 Gears, Ceramic Coated Headers, Victor Jr. 750cfm, 17in Halibrand wheels, Sterling Gray/Silver Stripes, Gray Leather, Nitto NT05
Not Ranked     

They use an open differential as standard. There are a lot of good reasons why you might want it on the street for safety reasons, especially for new drivers who might wreck the car getting too agressive on a turn or loose pavement. A limited slip is more predictable on the track, but more prone to spinning. With my open differential car, I can assure you, when hit the throttle or intentionally try to light the tires, both back wheels will spin and leave matching black stripes on the blacktop. As far as gear ratio, depends if you want to drag race it or have an all around car. A 3.46 gear ratio will give you a nice, usable 1st gear. You have enough power that going much higher might just cause you to have to buy new tires more often. Even with that tall of a gear, you can still render 1st and 2nd gear useless by mashin the go-peddle to fast...
Cashburn likes this.

Last edited by Jimbocobra; 12-13-2013 at 06:45 AM..
Old 12-12-2013, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR354/FMS392
Not Ranked     

Mine had an open diff when I got my car (E36). I laid two nice patches of rubber. Never did the one legger. Now I have an LSD 40% lockup. Still same two nice patches of rubber. My stocker was 3.46 and now I have 373.
Make sure to get a TKO600 because of the nice first gear. I have the .64OD and wish I had the .82 OD.

Tags
backdraft, gears, rear end ratios, suspension