Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Initially I was thinking of a FFR Daytona Coupe with a Coyote, but then I saw some Cobras with big blocks and they appealed to me. These cars and engines are all great. Don't worry about the resale. Just get whatever turns you on the most when you see it, drive it, and hear it.
anthonyL likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A good subject comparing new to old. Our Cobra embodies everything about classic muscle that so many of us crave. Loud door shaking, seat of the pants feel fat rubber big inch beast. The new muscle cars have non of this without that feel what is the sense.
Course this is one mans opinion,not an FE fan but to me would be a better choice would also fit the overall look of the car. Tough choice only you can make.
anthonyL likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i went for a ride yesterday, as I was sitting at a light another Cobra turned going the opposite direction, I don't know what engine he had but it sounded pathetic, it must have been a 6 cylinder. I felt bad for him. A cobra is a complete package. I never heard a coyote in a cobra but if it don't sound right you loose some of the experience and a lot of respect.

How many miles are you going to drive a year and how are you driving them. one long cross country trip or little 30 minute blasts around the neighborhood or dailey driver. If you are looking for the high priced hooker 30 minute romp sessions get the 427 stroker or big block, if you are living in the car and have to rely on it to go all over the world get the coyote, one engine wears you out the other doesn't.
anthonyL likes this.

Last edited by madmaxx; 01-20-2014 at 05:25 AM..
Old 01-20-2014, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Coyote 5.0 (Sold to Justin in Burleson) working on #2
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by andig View Post
Anthony,
I have had my BDR for a year now and have put 2000 miles on the Coyote engine and I wouldn't go back to a 427 (my previous BDR had a 427R motor).
I have the Vintage 93 Octane tune which produces somewhere in the region of 475/500hp and it is plenty quick enough.
A few observations compared to the 427 are (a) it doesn't have the massive low end torque hit but it is very smooth and has a pretty explosive top end ie 5000 to 7000 rpms. (b) the coyote doesn't have the classic lumpy/loud idle of the 427 but as soon as you put your foot down it is still very loud. (c), the lighter weight of the Coyote combined with the well matched TKO 600 and 3.91 LSD rear end makes the car much better balanced and better handling than my 427 and (d), I am not much of a tinkerer and the long term reliability and low maintenance of the Coyote appeals to me, although I admit when you open the hood it can't compete with the looks of a 427 with 8 Stack Injection!
Resale wise, I am not qualified to comment but I wouldn't expect it to be that much different from a 427 and not enough for it to be a deciding factor in which engine to choose.

Andy
Ditto what Andy said + the color will have a lot to do with resale. From what I have seem, the blues, reds and silvers seem to be the colors that sell the quickest.
anthonyL likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
... I never heard a coyote in a cobra but if it don't sound right you loose some of the experience and a lot of respect ...
Well then listen up ...
Backdraft RT3 #1017 COYOTE 5.0 Powered by Vintage Motorsports First Drive - YouTube
Superformance Cobra with Mustang's Coyote 5.0L V8 - YouTube

The coyote is becoming a popular choice for cobra replicas because you get power and reliability at a reasonable price and they sound just fine.
anthonyL likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, definelty a muted sound. Not as lumby or deep sounding, throws some cat conveters and sound like a Mustang 5.0 liter. As far as cost after installation it is the same if not more than a Roush 427. For resale value nothing beats a Roush, I know but that the way it is...

I thought I would want a coyote engine for its reliability and street manners. The problem is there is alot more to a cobra than the engine. Even if the engine is flawless the rest of the car is not. You will tire of driving them, no power steering, no dampening between the front wheels and steering wheel, tight footwell, not the most comfortable seats..... Bottom line is if you want a Cobra get a Cobra, if the engine does not wear you out than something else on the car will.

In the end it all comes down to how you will drive the car. Around the neighborhood, couple blast down the freeway on a sunny day or 7K miles per year to cobra events etc.

As far as resale the market is once again heating up, good year in the market last year, guys are getting older have bucket list, if you are a seller make hay while the sun shines.

Everyone that calls on mine is in their 60's, never had a 40's guy call or even a 50's, my gut feel is in 5-10 years there will be a huge glut of replicas on the market due to the owners getting to old to drive and the last 4 generations are not into cars like the 4 generations before them.

If possible drive both before you decide. If not sure by used until you figure what you want. Nice thing about a Cobra is you cant tell if the car is 1 year old or 20 years old the body style never changes thats why they hold their value!!!
anthonyL likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Old 01-20-2014, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Mileage, sound, intended use, cost, resale value. Who cares???

This isn't really about any of those things. This is a Cobra, your dream car. Those are not the questions you should be asking.

Which one takes your breath away? Which one makes you smile just looking at it? Which one calls to you from the garage, "Drive me"? Which one gives you a woody?

Get that one.
Isaac, tuska and anthonyL like this.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1226
Not Ranked     

Amen to that!

Todd
Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Maybe it's just me, but I have a 2011 Shelby GT 500 Mustang with plenty of power (550 hp) and a nice fuel injected engine with 100,000 mile reliability. The wife drives it to work every day.

I bought the cobra to assault my senses! I want it to be raw, powerful, smelly, cantankerous, uncomfortable, a gas guzzler. I don't want the best fuel economy. I don't want yards and yards of electrical connections in my engine compartment. I don't want a muffled exhaust note so I can talk to my passenger. I want low end torque. I want simplicity, not complexity. Every time I start it up, I want to wonder what is going to go wrong this time. I want my balls to feel the firing pulses when it does start. I want to have to feather the throttle to keep it running because I have no choke to smooth things out. I want to be completely involved in the actual driving experience not just going through the motions. I want to feel the tires start to slip as I corner just a hair above their limit. I want to catch the rear end before it decides to become the front end. I want to be deafened by the sidepipes when I do put my foot into the carburetor. I want to arrive at my destination alive and all tingly with excitement. I want to be able to tinker with the engine, adjust the carburetor, set the timing, change the sparkplugs just for the heck of it.

Basically, my cobra takes me back to a time when cars were simple and raw, and it took all your skill and attention to drive and control them. There were no electrical nannies to make sure you didn't overstep your ability. If you got too enthusiastic, you paid for it either with a learning experience or a trip to the body shop.

That's why I will never put a Coyote engine under the hood of my cobra!

If I want to be bored, I drive the wife's car!

But, that's just me!
lovehamr, anthonyL and CzyCobra like this.

Last edited by jhv48; 01-20-2014 at 09:06 AM..
Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"Which one gives you a woody?" No car ever gave me one. I guess I still have my youth and women for that

In the end a $17.00 bottle of Jim Beam and big breast with pink n....s will do it every time over any car, unless you are in the car doing it and a Cobra is to small to really spread them far enough I digress....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Mileage, sound, intended use, cost, resale value. Who cares???

This isn't really about any of those things. This is a Cobra, your dream car. Those are not the questions you should be asking.

Which one takes your breath away? Which one makes you smile just looking at it? Which one calls to you from the garage, "Drive me"? Which one gives you a woody?

Get that one.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I have a 2011 Shelby GT 500 Mustang with plenty of power (550 hp) and a nice fuel injected engine with 100,000 mile reliability. The wife drives it to work every day.

I bought the cobra to assault my senses! I want it to be raw, powerful, smelly, cantankerous, uncomfortable, a gas guzzler. I don't want the best fuel economy. I don't want yards and yards of electrical connections in my engine compartment. I don't want a muffled exhaust note so I can talk to my passenger. I want low end torque. I want simplicity, not complexity. Every time I start it up, I want to wonder what is going to go wrong this time. I want my balls to feel the firing pulses when it does start. I want to have to feather the throttle to keep it running because I have no choke to smooth things out. I want to be completely involved in the actual driving experience not just going through the motions. I want to feel the tires start to slip as I corner just a hair above their limit. I want to catch the rear end before it decides to become the front end. I want to be deafened by the sidepipes when I do put my foot into the carburetor. I want to arrive at my destination alive and all tingly with excitement. I want to be able to tinker with the engine, adjust the carburetor, set the timing, change the sparkplugs just for the heck of it.

Basically, my cobra takes me back to a time when cars were simple and raw, and it took all your skill and attention to drive and control them. There were no electrical nannies to make sure you didn't overstep your ability. If you got too enthusiastic, you paid for it either with a learning experience or a trip to the body shop.

But, that's just me!
I can appreciate everything you posted, but why not an FE then?
Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

If I was to put small block ford in cobra I would probably have Pro Line Racing build an engine. MY friend Jeff Kyles Mustang goes good. Runs on 10 1/2 " drag radials and goes 6.95 at 207 mph.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you want modern technology with vintage looks, this is aweful sweet looking:

Not sure of the fit under the hood, but I'd figure out some way to squeeze it in there!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

But, that's just me!
What a silly diatribe about nothing.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Yet you took the time to read it and reprint it.

You might want to look up the term diatribe before you misuse it again.

Modern definition: noun
1. a bitter, sharply abusive denunciation, attack, or criticism:

And diatribes are rarely considered silly. So pick one, can't be both.

Last edited by jhv48; 01-20-2014 at 02:31 PM..
Old 01-20-2014, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptech View Post
If you want modern technology with vintage looks, this is aweful sweet looking:

Not sure of the fit under the hood, but I'd figure out some way to squeeze it in there!
That's a great innovation, but I don't think that look works when matched together.

I like the engine, and I like the intake, but I don't like them together

I'd be happier with a modern take on that intake or IF I wanted the vintage look for a coyote I'd opt for the mock Cammer look.

Just saying...
Old 01-20-2014, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yet you took the time to read it and reprint it.

You might want to look up the term diatribe before you misuse it again.

Modern definition: noun
1. a bitter, sharply abusive denunciation, attack, or criticism:

And diatribes are rarely considered silly. So pick one, can't be both.
Urban Dictionary ...
Diatribe: A neverending flow of words, phrases, sentences, and opinions from a speaker whose agenda was crystal clear in the first ten seconds of speech.

... about sums it up, in your case adolescent should follow neverending.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So, your statement qualifies.

And now you're resorting to name calling? Really? Adolescent? Am not!
anthonyL likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

nobody argued about my statement!!!!!!