Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Original Cobra Replica/ Real Cobra Replica & 3D Printers

I see the boys have been at it again with the real cobra/ Continuation/kit discussion.

Replica or a modern reproduction?

Let me throw my hat in the ring for a future term. You guys can figure out a better name than me...however the title states my choice: Original Cobra Replica/Real Cobra Replica

Let me give you a short lesson on 3D printers and the little I know from black programs.

I never liked the term 3D printer because they aren't printers at all. I think the term is additive manufacturers.. building complex 3 dimensional objects by spraying materials in layers through special nozzles and are more like replicators from a sci-fi movie on a simple level.

I was reading NASA is sending one up to the space station to build spare parts. Ever heard of the Liberator? It's a single shot plastic pistol made on a 3D printer.

Sex toys featuring your favorite actor are even being made on these printers. Also replacement jawbones and hips are slowly being used by the medical community along with entire skeletons for exhibits. Even nanofabrication is getting in on this new tech. Other applications I have come across... making new vinyl Lp's from digital music files, foodstuffs are on the fast track for testing, and models like the DB5 from Skyfall are being produced. ( Formlabs Form 1 can design and print car models)

URBEE is a hybrid car and the entire interior and exterior will be produced by a 3D printer.

There have been problems with the emissions of certain plastics causing health issues. But certain printers can use other base materials such as metal alloys, paper and even soil.

Now from first hand knowledge this is old news. This tech I was witness to back in the 80's in two different black programs. And it is light years away from where it was then. Not my area of expertise but I understand biological material with DNA sequencing is being produced...and the term 3D printers is not used there. The tech is not at a star trek level but it is 30-40 years ahead from what is publicly known. The area that I am familiar with is the manufacture of seamless aircraft/spacecraft exteriors. If you looked at some of these pieces you would think it came right out of a mold.

Problem with black programs and the military industrial complex is that everything is compartmentalized. Back when Trinity and the nuclear development started the gov't did this to keep everything secret so only a few knew the entire project. This is still being done today but at a much advanced level.

So back to the title cause someone is going to "print" from original specs a real...oops I meant original Cobra down the road. So what do we call it? It would be a replica certainly.....

Ralphy likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Okay, I'm a machinist for an airline. I've known of 3D printing for model parts since the 80's. To me the issue is, what materials can you print with and how well do they bond. The 787 Dreamliner is composite. I said probably 5 months ago, "imagine a huge 3D printer large enough to make a 787?"

I'm on board!

Can't see them ever being able to, exactly replicate every material on an original.

Ralphy
Old 04-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

I imagine in the future, it will all be about the 'file' and not the printer.
I just got 3D printed parts yesterday from General Atomics. Pretty crude but still neat. Also, SpaceX has them and I believe they're 'printing' Inconel. Impressive operation, there. Gives me faith in this country.
As if HP refills aren't expensive enough...
Old 04-15-2014, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

We have 3d printers here at work...
Products produced are a little rough, but I can see refinements and improvements in the not too distant future.

If you copied and printed an original cobra, using a 3d machine, why would it be called any different to one copied by hand or other means?

It's still a "cobra" produced by "x" or printed on "x".

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck...
Everyone in the world knows it as a duck - then frankly you'd be stupid to go with anything other than "duck".
So, call me crazy... I'm going with DUCK!

Now where's Evan...?

Enjoy.

Ps. I didn't know about the DNA printing. I shouldn't be surprised, but Id be lying if I didn't say I have my reservations... The adage "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" kind of crosses my mind here.
Ralphy likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think 3D Printing will change anything, manufacturing processes have been evolving since the industrial revolution, whether to produce an original or replicate it. So throw out the CNC machines and fire up the 3D Printers, what's different in the output?

1. An original design/concept
2. A replication of an original design/concept

Where it makes sense, the owner of the original design/concept will have Intellectual Property protection in-place, the Patent & Trademark office isn't going anywhere.

Pretend 3D Printers were already fully integrated into production facilities when Shelby took FFR to court (2002). Do you think anything below would have changed, I don't.

Result: Factory Five being allowed to continue building cars as long as it made no reference to the terms "Cobra," "427 S/C," "Shelby," "Shelby Cobra," "Daytona Coupe" or "Daytona Coupe Cobra."

As I see it you are right back to square one if you want to use the same name, 3rd party suppliers will be forced to put some sort of qualifier with the product's name to separate it from the original.

As far as how the market would receive 3D copies, being essentially an exact copy (including materials), the OEM will have to price competitively to not be undersold by the 3D competition. If the 3D competition has sharp material scientists & chem engineers working for them then their 3D replication should trump the OEM's due to superior strength & durability. You can also bet they will be going for Intellectual Property protection with that new 3D recipe.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Patent wars continue to brew in 3D printing space
Patent wars continue to brew in 3D printing space

... tip of the iceberg.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

I would call a 3D printed cobra from original drawings a "re-created Cobra".

re–cre·ate transitive verb \ˌrē-krē-ˈāt\
: to make (something from the past) exist or seem to exist again : to create (something) again
Old 04-15-2014, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would call it a 3D printed cobra and reference the drawing number
Old 04-15-2014, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Exact replica

Have you heard the term "Exact replica":

BRASS PLAQUE ON XK120 DASH:

CERTIFIED THIS CAR AN EXACT REPLICA OF THE RECORD BREAKING CAR WHICH ACHIEVED THE SPEED OF 132.6 MPH AT JABBEKE, BELGIUM MAY 30, 1949

I adapted that phrase modified it a bit and riveted it on my Fibreglass/lookalike/wannab Cobra dash. That caused a lot of stir in the 90s :-)

What I mean is, the term Replica was used differently back then.

We used "3D-printers" in the late 90s for once off airbag housings for R&D.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dominik says, Have you heard the term "Exact replica":

What doe the SAAC say about it? lol

Ralphy
Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
Dominik says, Have you heard the term "Exact replica":

What doe the SAAC say about it? lol

Ralphy
Seeing how there is a replica builder by the name "Exact", I would venture to say it falls in the existing SAAC category ...
Kit Car or Replica: Any Car with a body which approximates the original Cobra shape, using any kind frame, suspension, brakes or driveline.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:02 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
Seeing how there is a replica builder by the name "Exact", I would venture to say it falls in the existing SAAC category ...
Kit Car or Replica: Any Car with a body which approximates the original Cobra shape, using any kind frame, suspension, brakes or driveline.
Bingo.

4pipes: "re-created Cobra" hits the nail on the head but only if it's a Shelby 3d printer (or one of the other printer categories set out in the Registry that meets the criteria as a "Cobra". Bingo for you too. . What some here are struggling to grasp (or refuse to accept based on personal opinion...and you know what they say about opinions?) is that the term "Cobra" is a term of art as applied to these cars. The fact that the term "Cobra" is a term of art was explained by me before. The Registry explains it too.

Actually, the guys having fun on the "My fake is fakyer than your fake" got it exactly right! No argument from me. Kudos to them too. However, they all win first place since they're all equally fake. I, however, would refer to their cars as SAAC does, ie "replicas". It just sounds better to me. Oh well, it's their cars. Whatever, floats their boats. If they really want to adopt that term here and for use in public I'm good with that. Who am I to disagree? It is technically accurate after all. Yeah, I'm good with that.

Cheers.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
I imagine in the future, it will all be about the 'file' and not the printer.
I just got 3D printed parts yesterday from General Atomics. Pretty crude but still neat. Also, SpaceX has them and I believe they're 'printing' Inconel. Impressive operation, there. Gives me faith in this country.
As if HP refills aren't expensive enough...
Inconel is the material I most often machine rodneym. We rebuild the engines combustion chamber in our dept.. Reworking worn working dimensions. The surfaces are plasma sprayed and machined to tolerance. Anyhow, the sprays characteristics are unlike the original material. That's why I mentioned can a 3D copy, really be made of the same materials that represent exactness/properties? Ever? I'm no metallurgist.

Sometimes we weld and machine repair dimensions also, not sure why one or the other is chosen.

Inconel having a very high content Nickel, up to 70% and Chromium 30% and Molybdenum up 10%. Makes it very very tough but not hard, good properties under high heat! Racers are using it now. Exhaust is a place.

So how do you replicate to exactness, cast iron, steel, aluminum, magnesium, brass and copper? Even leather, glass, how about the foam in the seats everything that goes into the making.

Thermal Spray or Plasma Spray
http://www.precisioncoatings.com/wha...mal-spray.html

Ralphy
Old 04-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Aren't we talking hypothetically or are we actually trying to figure out how to 3d print a car? That's beyond my expertise.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

Nissan 3d printing 500+hp V 6 no gaskets no bolts very light they said good for 200,000 miles
Ralphy likes this.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

As I see it, there is a fundamental flaw in the underlying premise of this entire thread.

A 3D printer can make parts to exacting standards. An ORIGINAL Cobra was a hand built one-of-a-kind with no two cars identical.

You cannot make an identical replica of The AC Cobra, because there was no such thing. They were all different.

You could make a replica of one existing original car, but I would challenge that there are no originals left that are untouched - exactly as they were sold. If you made a replica of a second original, it would be different from the first and so on.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill E View Post
Nissan 3d printing 500+hp V 6 no gaskets no bolts very light they said good for 200,000 miles
That's scary, would like to know more - internals part of the process (pistons, valves, cam etc) ... how it all goes together without bolts & gaskets.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

The video I saw showed them stacking in the crank and rods and pistons sleeve as the printer completed the support structures. I believe the video said that the printer printed in 8 materials. It was slated for the new Skyline. It was up on You tube
Old 04-20-2014, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill E View Post
The video I saw showed them stacking in the crank and rods and pistons sleeve as the printer completed the support structures. I believe the video said that the printer printed in 8 materials. It was slated for the new Skyline. It was up on You tube
Thanks Bill, I'll look for it.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can also see a use for valuables. Take the Wright Flyer for example. You could record all the specs in files. So if there were any damage through the years, bingo as close as can be.

Ralphy