Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   How to tell what manufacture mine is? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/128599-how-tell-what-manufacture-mine.html)

blown 04-17-2014 08:37 AM

How to tell what manufacture mine is?

1 Attachment(s)
:DIs their a way to tell what manufacture the cars are mine was registered in CA as a spl. it looks close to a ERA from pic,s it has a very thick body and is very well built has square tube chassis mustang II style front with tubular A-arm and fox body mustang rear suspension 4 wheel wildwood disc brakes I've looked at a ffr but mine is more round on the trunk .

Bill D 04-17-2014 08:59 AM

Need to post pics of the underside, suspension, engine bay, dash, trunk, and all four sides of the car.

ERA doesn't use Mustang II suspension or Fox rear suspension. Not an ERA

Frank Messina 04-17-2014 10:20 AM

Not an FFR either. Factory Five is a tube frame ( 4" round main tubes) with a lot of riveted aluminum panels and the body is a skin not a tub.

blown 04-18-2014 08:23 AM

:cool:

blown 04-18-2014 11:35 AM

5 Attachment(s)
here's**) a couple

Mr Jody 04-18-2014 01:14 PM

Do you have any info on when it was built? DMV records should show when first registered. Unless it was a DMV assigned VIN, the VIN may provide some here with a clue. Check around on the frame for some numbers also.

Is the wheelbase 90 inches?

Just some observations: It has kind of a mixture of 289 and 427 features. The forward braced roll bar and sidepipes coming UNDER the body are like a 289 instead of through cutouts like a 427 (although the 4 into 1 arrangement is like a 427). Kind of hard to tell exactly from the pictures, but the front wheel well flares look like they may be coming out a few inches down the fender like a 289 instead of at the top of the fender like a 427. May just be the picture angle though.

But then there are 427 specific features as well. The oval front grill opening (289 is flat on bottom), rear flares tapering into the body at the sidepipe exits (no taper on the 289), and fuel fill on the fender indicate 427.

I point these out in case someone knows of a manufacturer who combined features from each. Some other notes…The steering wheel has round openings instead of slots. Radiator and positioning, from a Mustang perhaps? Power steering. Louver positioning in close proximity to flare. Hood hinges.

This may help as well: Compare car profiles

Jim Werth 04-18-2014 01:56 PM

LA Exotic ?????

Bill D 04-18-2014 02:40 PM

Still need pics of the firewall, frame, and trunk area

blown 04-18-2014 04:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here is the trunk and firewall ill have to wait to put it on the lift for the under pick but the frame has a x where the trans. mount is.

lcrabtree 04-18-2014 04:18 PM

LA Exotic or S C Motorcars or B&B.

Lester

blown 04-18-2014 06:07 PM

are they good cars it seems like its better than some that i have seen but im still learning?

48 IDA 04-19-2014 05:33 PM

manufacture

The Contemporary Cobra came with Jaguar IRS rear only. Front suspension was also Jaguar torsion bar, later coil over optional. They also had a 4" round tube frame.
Hope this helps.

Don

Mr.Fixit 04-19-2014 10:13 PM

Looks Like a L.A. Exotics to me, but it's been a while.
The hood hinges and footboxes are what I based it on.

Paul F 04-20-2014 07:53 AM

The door shape and hood latch aren't right for LA exotics.

smccobra 04-21-2014 07:11 AM

Could be an SMC. What does the vin plate show ?

blown 04-21-2014 10:32 AM

its a ca spcl vin tag no manufacture

Clois Harlan 04-21-2014 12:10 PM

what are the first four letters of your serial number?

blown 04-22-2014 07:08 AM

Ca50 are the first 4 on the vin.

jr289 04-22-2014 12:27 PM

Rear quarters remind me of a NAF, they made a 289FIA version too.

lcrabtree 04-22-2014 01:17 PM

S M C and S C are the only ones that used that type of hood latch and that boss for the hood bumpers.

Lester