Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2015, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Ease of Entry/Exit

I have a Unique and it's a bit tight getting in and out for us old farts, but I can manage it ok. I have a buddy who is a bit older and less limber than I am and he is interested in a Cobra, but I don't think he would be able to get in and out of mine, especially without burning his leg. I'm not too familiar with the other makes, but does anyone have a recommendation as to which car is easiest to get in and out of?
Old 06-15-2015, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

They're all a PIA. Once you tutor somebody to brace their upper body on the rear body/seat back to allow them to rise up and step out and over pipes it does get easier. I've found you really have to train folks where to put their hands to support the body.
Just Saturday, I had a buddy...1st timer, start to reach for the top of my wind wing. Almost had a heart attack.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's a constant battle to get folks NOT to brace themselves on windshield or door. Always have to remind them.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Get an FIA car with pipes under the car exiting in front of the rear wheel .. or go full under car exhaust .. street version. The forward braced roll bar also helps to push off of in exiting. I recall it was similar getting into a Jag XKE back in the late 60's .. at a dealer. Fit like a glove. An exercise to exit.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good idea on the FIA car.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I've always found that to be a big advantage on the Backdraft cars. The slightly longer door and the position of the steering wheel help a bit. Worth a shot.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

IF your buddy really wants a car with side exhaust and IF he can't step out over the pipe, then below is an easy solution. A welder's blanket and a couple of snaps on the inside of the door sill. Rolls out easily and works great - can't even feel any warmth through the blanket. I use it for passengers that I don't think can get in or out easily.

gunkk and BADSN8K like this.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good idea!
Old 06-16-2015, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

With my racing bucket seats with high hip and side bolsters the only practical way out is to stand on them and then step out and the opposite to get in. Much reduced risk of the dreaded snake bite but hard on the upholstery.

I haven't tried it with the soft top on yet - suspect we might have to crawl in and out then the welders blanket idea might be essential.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
The welders blanket is a good idea and works really well. I used one on my other Cobra. The Coupe has the side pipes sort of set back almost flush with the body and you don't hit them nor can you put your hand on them when getting out. Also the wider doors such as Backdraft and Classic Roadster may be a help. If you aren't concerned about looking original, the doors can be widened even farther without changing the outer appearance.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 06-16-2015, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Funny how we are all on the same page here. After owning our car for so many years with belly exhaust getting in and out with or without the top is not bad. Getting older does add somewhat to the difficulty but still not yet an issue. It certainly is much easier without the top and no side exhaust.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

I remember seeing a Chevy Chase movie, Funny Farm, and he had a English sports car with suicide doors. He seem to be able to jump in and out of it very easily. Would that make it easier on a Cobra?
JD
Old 06-20-2015, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Entry/Exit

I am a new Superformance owner, with two good exhaust burns already...I sort of subscribe to not even using the doors and standing on the seats on entry exit....
Old 06-20-2015, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Another time to get a really good burn is after driving the car, parking it and going to open the hood, reaching over for the passenger hood latch. If you think the pipes are hot at the door, check out the area where they exit the body... They have a good burns jell (Water Jell I believe it is) that you put on ASAP after a burn. That along with an Icepack will minimize the damage from the burn.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 06-22-2015, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ugly

I am a sailboat racer hence am pretty tight with several sailmakers: I am contemplating a sock arrangement made of welders blankets that slip over the pipes forward to the support then are wrapped around and snapped forward of the bracket...At this rate I'll have no calf skin, and the first time the wife does it, well you know what happens then...
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2015, 04:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Darn Tortuga,

Those really look bad and I am sure they don't feel good either. Some people have their pipes ceramic coated and say they really cuts down on the heat but I don't know as I never had any done that way. The side pipes do take some getting used to if you have never had a car with them before. I hope those heal soon.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 06-23-2015, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
I am a sailboat racer hence am pretty tight with several sailmakers: I am contemplating a sock arrangement made of welders blankets that slip over the pipes forward to the support then are wrapped around and snapped forward of the bracket...At this rate I'll have no calf skin, and the first time the wife does it, well you know what happens then...
Ouch!

The problem with that is how do you remove them from a seated position?

A better solution might be to sew a dowel in both ends. One dowel acts as a weight to hold the blanket over the door jam and the other acts as a weight to pull the blanket down. I see it as put it on, get in and lift it out and roll it up on the dowel.

I am going to try snaps and think about dowels after that.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Those do look painful. Part of the benefits of wanting to build a street car replica was the undercar exhaust. No issues with burned shins however I sometimes ponder that my butt is resting about 3 inches directly above a 500(+) F muffler. Thus the reason for all the insulation I stuffed in under my carpets.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My solution to keep the heat away with belly exhaust was welding 1/8 plate over the mufflers flush with top of frame using insulation over the mufflers. Side benefit was good solid floors. Riding motorcycles for so many years had already educated us on leg burns.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My other more serious concern is lookie loos burning themselves, especially kids...I think i could cram them behind the seats, do the initial deployment seated, then complete the process once out.

I would feel horrible (and be liable) if someone were to burn themselves on the pipes out in public.