28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     
Default Which car is faster? Shelby Cobra 427 s/c or Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo?

In real life, which car is faster?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAUbdHw8QG4[/ame]
Old 07-27-2014, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Back in the saddle I see. Acceleration, top end, road course, appreciation?
Old 07-27-2014, 06:02 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Back in the saddle I see. Acceleration, top end, road course, appreciation?
Forgot: accelerating a heart rate.

Silly question. Kinda like asking who do you think is gonna be worse Dinkins or DeCommio.?
Old 07-27-2014, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Funny how it is interesting to read or hear about these comparisons but that it means so little. Our cars being what they are and capable of especially on the streets, sure makes it
not worth fooling around with all the latest and greatest tooling around our streets not for this cat at least. Okay most of the time, some days all things are right out in farm country.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     
Default This already happened for a $4000K bet the Cobra won

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Oh well - with a 94 Porche 911 3.6 turbo at 12.4 sec for the quarter, a Cobra SC with any reasonable gearing should easily handle it except for top end.

1994 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6 Archived Road Test - Review - Car and Driver

Heck - my stock Mustang GT is only a 1/2 sec off of a 12.4 quarter.

Just keep telling yourself - It's only a movie.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They probably edited out the part where Will Smith says "Hit the NOS...hit the NOS!" That is NOS....not nitrous.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Too many variables to make a blanket pronouncement. The Kirkham that raced the Ferrari in the video was a lot more than a replica of the original Cobras in that it had a larger displacement engine and a few other hot rodding tricks. Period tests of 427 Cobras had them running around 12.0-12.2 quarters at around 118 mph.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcocsx3121 View Post
Too many variables to make a blanket pronouncement. The Kirkham that raced the Ferrari in the video was a lot more than a replica of the original Cobras in that it had a larger displacement engine and a few other hot rodding tricks. Period tests of 427 Cobras had them running around 12.0-12.2 quarters at around 118 mph.
I agree. I think the 12.2 @ 118 mph was a magazine road test of a street car, wasn't it - maybe Car & Driver? A real S/C with another 80 HP or so and bigger tires would probably handily top that I suspect.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcocsx3121 View Post
Yeah, but the Kirkham was pretty standard fare for Kirkham's and CSX big blocks being built over the past decade...at least as was reported...and it was owned by an Armenian. So, as far as I'm concerned, the outcome is holy grail.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:02 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
and it was owned by an Armenian.
That explains a lot

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-27-2014, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just dreaming at this point
Not Ranked     

[Edited by Jamo...not going to allow this kind of stuff. Don't try again.]

Last edited by Jamo; 07-27-2014 at 04:05 PM..
Old 07-27-2014, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

That Cobra was rock solid. HP was in the 700 range and with the freshly prepped track just for that race, the Ferrari never had a chance. It was an easy beat down with a mild launch and easy shifts. I felt that the Cobra could've gone even faster with a more experienced and aggressive driver.

As for Dan - he is a bit of a character all right, but like most celeb types, there's the public persona and a far more "normal" person behind the scenes. After the practice session before the day of the actual race, we left the speedway, dropped the Cobra off at Shelby to be cleaned and detailed and three of us hung out at Dan's apartment for a while before going to the airport to collect his girlfriend flying in from the Playboy mansion. We had some time to kill and were tossing out some ideas - Blitz's suggestion was to buy an old car and go out into the desert and shoot it up. Hardly what would've been expected from the infamous wild man of Las Vegas.

The really interesting thing was how the presence of the Cobra stacked up against the still relatively fresh (then) wow-factor of the all-black, jewel-like 458 Italia. Predictably, the 458 drew appreciative oohs and aahs from the decent sized throng of onlookers; but once the Cobra fired up and rumbled into the parking area there was a tangible, ominous silence for a while. It was like the horsemen of the apocalypse just rode in. People stared quietly at the Cobra forgetting Tommy and his Ferrari - much like when a real nasty looking SOB walks into a bar and everyone knows something really bad is about to happen.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 07-27-2014 at 04:17 PM..
Old 07-27-2014, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I agree. I think the 12.2 @ 118 mph was a magazine road test of a street car, wasn't it - maybe Car & Driver? A real S/C with another 80 HP or so and bigger tires would probably handily top that I suspect.
The SC had a standard dual four barrel medium riser just like street cars since they were street cars. The true comp cars had a NASCAR single four making about 480 or so about 55 more horse power. They were both under rated a bit but still no barn burners. The guys who I knew when they were new ran in the low 12's if they could drive and the 13's if they couldn't. The tires available then were really bad unless you went to drag slicks or autox recaps
on road race carcases. I ran my car when it was new with Goodyear road race tires on, it went 119 in 12.25. That engine was a Bill Strope build that was supposed to make competitive power but the MPH doesn't lie, it was kind of a dog. A street car that would run low 12's was pretty good for the 1960's though so it was not so bad.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Anyone know what kind of glass car that was in the movie?

Not sure which one is faster because Cozy wrecked mine before I had a chance to get it at speed. I let him use it during a US tour and one of the bands rigs ran over it at an arena. Made it into a base of a table and put a thick piece of glass over it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98028471@N06/11890779443/

You know there is going to be a third Bad Boys movie. In the second one that house that was almost completed by a Coca Cola heir and was used in the movie because the developer was going to bring it down. That was the house that was suppose to be in Cuba but actually Florida.

Maybe Bay can use this house this time around.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Td7wMRPeZg&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Buzz...thought you were going to do a drawing about the race? You're slipping!
Old 07-28-2014, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

I was gonna do one about some of the stuff that happened in Vegas after the race big brudda, but posting it would likely have gotten me in shyte with the moderators

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 07-28-2014, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Hehehehe...I spose so.

But you do know people.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
The SC had a standard dual four barrel medium riser just like street cars since they were street cars. The true comp cars had a NASCAR single four making about 480 or so about 55 more horse power. They were both under rated a bit but still no barn burners. The guys who I knew when they were new ran in the low 12's if they could drive and the 13's if they couldn't. The tires available then were really bad unless you went to drag slicks or autox recaps
on road race carcases. I ran my car when it was new with Goodyear road race tires on, it went 119 in 12.25. That engine was a Bill Strope build that was supposed to make competitive power but the MPH doesn't lie, it was kind of a dog. A street car that would run low 12's was pretty good for the 1960's though so it was not so bad.
Well, it's tough being corrected by an original owner. I thought I remembered the S/C versions retained the 485 HP engine from the competition version. I know a lot of the period magazine reported it that way (apparently in error - can't believe everything you read then as in now). I checked my faulty memory against Collin's book and apparently the S/C conversions received a standard compression Medium Riser 427 with the dual quad induction vs the standard compression Low Riser 427 center oiler installed in the 3100 to 3199 cars. Not sure how much more HP (maybe not a lot in street trim) the MR heads would make over the smaller valve LR heads.

Thanks for setting me straight. Love your car and what you're doing with it by the way.

By the way I found the 12.2 road test.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...est-nov-65.pdf

Last edited by DanEC; 07-28-2014 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: checked my info