• 1 Post By Grubby
  • 1 Post By Silversmith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 427 S/C or 427 Street (Which has the greater value?)

All things being equal (builder, engine, quality of components...) Is it THAT MUCH harder to sell a well done STREET build (under-car exhaust, no roll bar, street dash, etc..) vs an equally well done S/C? It seems 99.9% of the available Cobras to buy are SC cars with stripes. Is this only because this is what people want to buy? I personally prefer the street look and a solid painted Cobra. Those who have built/sold both, I'd be interested in your perspective.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Don't know about actual market value comparison or desirability between the two. As you pointed out there are very few street roadster replicas produced, and even fewer that are done trying to mimic correct details. If someone is in the market to buy a decent street roadster 427, I think they are going to be looking for a good long time until one comes along. And if someone wants a correct narrow hip street roadster 427, I think they are going to have to go see Kirkham or Metalmorphis.

Last edited by DanEC; 09-02-2014 at 09:14 AM..
Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For originals, I'd say the S/C would be quite a bit more valuable due to its rarity.
As far as replicas go, that's a tough question because I would be willing to pay more for a street car if it were done well (accurate) but I'm not most buyers in those terms.
I think most people still want the side pipes and loud noise though.
Larry
Old 09-02-2014, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

The nice thing about a street car (which I built) is that when/if it's sold its pretty easy to convert to the (same-ol-same-ol ) SC look. I have the roll bar under a bench and sidepipes and scoop can be purchased for a few hundred bucks. Just need to cut some holes and screw on a scoop.

My philosophy was build what I wanted and don't worry too much about re-sale.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

D'oh'ble post.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

The market wants S/Cs. A very small subset is looking for FIA, 289 and 427 street cars.

Look at the kit makers. The vast majority of new builds are 427 S/Cs

Build what you like and enjoy. These cars are a very poor investment.

John
601HP likes this.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

I'm Iv'e the belief that if either is done well then either will sell equally well.

I've a SC b/c that's what I wanted... but I'd rather have a well built STREET that a poorly built SC.
I'm sure STREET guys would feel the same visa-viser...
Old 09-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
The market wants S/Cs. A very small subset is looking for FIA, 289 and 427 street cars.

Look at the kit makers. The vast majority of new builds are 427 S/Cs

Build what you like and enjoy. These cars are a very poor investment.

John
Yes, there's probably a smaller demand for 427 Street models, but there's also a smaller supply too. Depending on the manufacturer choice and build quality, I would suggest that you'll be able to find a buyer as quickly as someone with a similar build S/C. Value difference would be negligible, if any.

Way back when, I could have very easily purchased a Street 427 model from Kirkham.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

In the Superformance world I have recently found more customers looking to do the "Roadster" lately. Personally, I LOVE the no scoop, no stripe smooth street car look but we sell about ten to one S/C to Roadster.

But buy what YOU like and resale be damned! You will probably be cold when your heirs sell the damn thing!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 09-02-2014, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     

I plan to convert my solid color (red) S/C back to a street version this coming winter. While I love the look of the S/C I grew up in a street version CSX 3116. I have obtained a set of side pipe cut out pieces from ERA & plan to fit & create them to an exacting fit plug/blank in the side pipe cutout locations on my S/C & color match them to the rest of my ride. They will be nut & bolt mounted on the inside of the body & will be removable if I decide to convert back the a S/C version. I have yet to decide on wether I will create a color matching gasket for the blanks or not. I will use custom made alum. blanks for the roll bar; color matched as well. These blanks will operate much like electrical KO (knock out) seals used to plug holes on industrial electrical panels with a backing plate & wing or nyloc nut to hold them into place. I have yet to decide on wether to replace the scooped hood. All in good time I suppose. The main goal is to install the under car exhaust with electric cutouts and the above listed mods this winter. The nice thing about this conversion is that I will be able to convert back to an S/C version in a afternoon if I so desire. But I must admit, I am looking forward to being able to carry on a simi-normal conversation or not need ear plugs during a long cruse; and yet still be able to set off car alarms via the flip of a switch if I so desire!
66gtk likes this.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm surprised it's even 10:1. Figured it would be closer to 35:1. Glad the trend is starting to shift though... Even if only a little bit.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
I'm surprised it's even 10:1. Figured it would be closer to 35:1. Glad the trend is starting to shift though... Even if only a little bit.
Keep in mind though, if you are considering a Cobra replica as an investment, forget it.....

Enough said.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-03-2014, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maricopa View Post
The nice thing about a street car (which I built) is that when/if it's sold its pretty easy to convert to the (same-ol-same-ol ) SC look. I have the roll bar under a bench and sidepipes and scoop can be purchased for a few hundred bucks. Just need to cut some holes and screw on a scoop.

My philosophy was build what I wanted and don't worry too much about re-sale.
My Philosophy as well build exactly what you want as with any toy project and enjoy it all you can. Our car is an SC/AC combo with as much originality look as possible. Roll bar, scoop, undercar exhaust, all the right stuff and done right.
It has to be all about you no matter what others have to say and there is never a lack of that. These cars are worth what someone is willing to pay, the better the car is done the more attention to detail will net you the most coin.