28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WardL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Neutral     
Default Joe Gibbs Fuel Defender ...Yes/No?

In view of the increasing ethanol polluting our fuels I was going to try Joe Gibb's Fuel Defender. A friend who has a 1969 Shelby GT500 told me about it. He uses it and likes it.

Any experience with this by anyone here? Any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

THE PROBLEM: Ethanol Corrosion
The growing use of Ethanol in modern pump fuel significantly increases the risk of carburetor and fuel system corrosion. Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture, which causes corrosion in the fuel system and inside the engine. High levels of Ethanol dilution in the motor oil can lead to increased moisture in the crankcase, thereby causing rust and other corrosion problems. Plus, Ethanol by itself is corrosive to components made of Aluminum and Zinc, like carburetors. Both of these problems are compounded by long periods of storage between uses.

THE SOLUTION: Carb Defender®
Driven’s Carb Defender® Fuel Additive is specifically formulated to protect against Ethanol corrosion and induction deposits. Special corrosion inhibitors work to prevent expensive repairs and diminished performance caused by Ethanol-blended pump gasoline and the moisture it attracts. This additive controls combustion chamber residue, plus it cleans and protects surfaces of the fuel system and intake tract.

Give it a shot and let us know, also try their new rearend lube, we need a ...

for this stuff
Old 09-02-2014, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Neutral     

Ethanol has wreaked havoc on my AED carb. I have had AED rebuild it twice over the past 6 years. I started using Lucas Oil Safegaurd about a year ago. Safeguard
I guess I'll know in another year or two if it does any good.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Neutral     

All branded gasoline already has additive packages that include corrosion inhibitors. The downside to corrosion inhibitors is they can cause injector fouling. I don't know how fuel can "wreaked havoc" on one particular carb and not so much on other carbs. Maybe you need to buy your fuel somewhere else? Under normal circumstances all snake oil is snake oil. You don't need any other additives in your fuel. The use of snake oil frequently does have a very positive emotional effect because one might think they are helping a problem. Thus, the purchase makes them feel better. The engine, not so much....
RodKnock likes this.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Quote:
I don't know how fuel can "wreaked havoc" on one particular carb and not so much on other carbs. Maybe you need to buy your fuel somewhere else?
I agree,been running all kinds of gas, mostly the cheapest I can find thru all my vehicles forever....my 65 Fastback with a plane jane Holley 600 DP has not had one bit of any type of problem since it's been on the car 40,000 miles ago and that started back in 1996.....Mind you, this car sits sometimes for 2 or 3 months without being started a few times a year....

Kinda same thing with my outboard motor,2000 model 90HP Yamaha,nothing but the cheapest 87 octane I can find,as of today,NEVER a problem with it........OTOH,my buddy has had to have the carb on his 2010 25HP Yamaha outboard rebuilt twice and he only buys gas from "name brand" companies.....
I just don't know anymore what to think.......

David
Old 09-03-2014, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fiberfab, 347 Stroker,dual quad
Neutral     
Default Ethanol Treatment

I have been using Lucas Enthanol Fuel Conditioner and so far the stuff works, tested it on my wife's motorcycle first as it sits for months and the pilot jets would stop up with crap and I would have to clean them out to get it running. After using the Lucas stuff no problems at all with the bike sitting for months with out starting, fires right up and runs great. Been running it in the Cobra and our 35 Streetrod with no issues either way. I have also noticed that any rubber fuel lines such as on a motorcycle and any rubber gaskets around the gas tank fuel level sender do not seem to get screwed up from the Enthanol either.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Neutral     

Check out Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada if you're looking for locations that sell ethanol-free gasoline. Listed are stations in Canada and the U.S.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
I agree,been running all kinds of gas, mostly the cheapest I can find thru all my vehicles forever....my 65 Fastback with a plane jane Holley 600 DP has not had one bit of any type of problem since it's been on the car 40,000 miles ago and that started back in 1996.....Mind you, this car sits sometimes for 2 or 3 months without being started a few times a year....

Kinda same thing with my outboard motor,2000 model 90HP Yamaha,nothing but the cheapest 87 octane I can find,as of today,NEVER a problem with it........OTOH,my buddy has had to have the carb on his 2010 25HP Yamaha outboard rebuilt twice and he only buys gas from "name brand" companies.....

David
Pretty much my experience too. I think what is really bad about ethanol is the summer performance. Seems much more sensitive to perculation and vapor locking. I've been using Lucas Fuel Cond also just as a precaution for when a vehicle sits for awhile.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post

David
In the Pacific Northwest, we've had ethanol laced gas for 30 years. I've run it in my Cobra, a supercharged off-shore boat, all my Corvettes and every lawn tool I've ever owned. I've never had a fuel related issue with anything. Todays fuel is formulated to last a minimum of 1 year without any "snake oil" additives. I'm always amazed when someone whines about how the ethanol ruined their 30 year old carb./fuel lines/etc.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Obviously we all being sold different types of fuel in different parts of the country. Some are having lots of problems others are not. The small engine dealers sure are not happy with the E fuels, course their techs are busy all the time. The only problems I have had are with our small engines always carb related and I always use 91 octane in all of them go figure.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 Shell Valley, Original "K" Code 289
Not Ranked     

I don't think you really notice it when you have a big starter and eight cylinders working for you. I've used SeaFoam in the gas on my Harley and it does make a huge difference in the idling and starting. I don't use it all the time but every 4 or so tankfuls. In the past 2 years I've been using it it's made a big difference. I also threw some in my X-Terra and it cleared the "cat" code it was throwing.