• 4 Post By indianamoon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B 289
Not Ranked     
Default not really a build thread......

I always admired those of you who documented your builds and shared with those of us too chicken to head down that path. In other words, us guys who just went out and bought one. But then I began to realize how long it was going to take me to actually get mine on the road in a condition that I was comfortable with. So took a couple pics and made a couple of notes and here it is. Rather than a step by step posting over 10 months, here it is all in one big lump.

This is pretty long winded, written mostly to assist my already pathetic memory. So if ya don’t enjoy a good novel once in a while, y’oughta just skip to the next post.

Finally picked up a B&B cobra replica last October and figured it to be on the road early spring.

It was being driven and after all, seller said it was in good condition, needed nothing, and it looked it. Needed some work to the radiator fan he said, (overheated immediately when it was turned on manually, figgered it was wired backwards) and the parking brake needed adjusting. Hey, anybody can adjust a parking brake, huh? Ah, but! The closer I looked, the more problems I found. And the more problems I found, the closer I looked. Still wondering if I have looked closely enough!!!! The following isn’t all of it, just what I remembered to write down at the time.

1. Steering seemed a tad bit loose and I thought it was in the rack. Probably a donor rack and anyway I wanted to quicken up the steering, so I picked up a new rack from FR. When I got the old one off, I found out that it was broken. Yup, crack the length of it an eighth of an inch wide.

Some owner (probably all of ‘em) before me was sure lucky. (Can you imagine driving a high performance car spiritedly with a broken steering rack?) Tried to bolt the new one in. Uh uh, not gonna go. What the???? Now my car has this nice (I think) Heidt’s complete front end under it with the tubular a arms and all that other good stuff, and a rack that hits the lower A-arms. Hits the lower A-arms? Looks like sumbody missed sumpin sumwheres. Machined up a couple of adapters to re-position the rack, shortened the steering shaft, and we’re good to go on that one after an alignment. I don’t think that I repositioned the rack enough to alter the steering geometry and anyway, I was not going to re-assemble it the way it was and break another rack. In the process, I pulled the steering column to repaint the fisheyes on it. That was a major job in itself as it as assembled in a manner in which the entire dashboard would have needed to be pulled to get the column out. Made a few necessary modifications there!! Actually got it out without touching the dash mountings. WHY do they do that?

2. In the process of above, noticed a couple of loose bolts and nuts, so figured I would check them all. GOOD idear. Lots and lots of loose fasteners all over the car including some suspension ones that I kinda suspect just might be a little crucial and the bolts on the left rear caliper? The car did actually come in with all parts attached. Somehow. I suppose all in all I tightened 50 to 60 nuts and bolts, lots of them only finger tight.

3. So I tackle the parking brake. Lever mechanism is all but scrap (15k on car) not good quality, but hey, I own a machine shop, I can fixit. Bushed the pawl, new spring, welded and re-cut the oversize rectangular hole in the link to the cables, Then realized that the round post coming off the side at the bottom had been welded on wrong. Took care of that in the cable link piece. Assemble and I’m done, right ? Notachance. Now that the above are all corrected, I discover that the parking brake on the Lincoln Versailles rear end just does not work. Thank God for Google, praise to Google. Finally figgered out how to adjust those nasty things (Now I know why Ford only made them for a couple of years.) Hours and hours later I finally had those bad boys adjusted up correctly. But wait a minute, the location where the mounts for the cables are welded to the frame don’t allow ANY mechanical advantage to be applied to the brake cams. I am just Not gonna cut and re-weld on the frame. Made some new mounting sockets for the cable ends and welded them to the cams.

Lotsa mechanical advantage and pulling in the right direction now, just hook up the cables and done, right? Hah, you already know the answer, the cables are too short. The only way they were on the car originally was that the brakes were so far out of adjustment they actually fit. Made an adapter for the end of the brake lever to extend it toward the back of the car and finally the hand brake is done. and functional

4. Bought a really nice car cover that I keep my baby covered up with, and take it off when I am searching for new problems, or just sitting in it drooling. So one evening I takes myself to the garage, removes the cover, tosses it in the trunk, and WHAT THE? Major spitzensparken!!! Jerk the cover out and pull the battery hold down off of the positive terminal where it was attempting to weld itself permanently while also setting anything nearby on fire. I patted the fuel cell and smiled.

Back from the bathroom I removed the hold down and wondered at the extremely lucky previous owners. I mean, acceleration does cause the loose battery to move toward the rear where the hold down was anxiously awaiting the chance to ruin somebody’s day. Battery was toast, but it was 7 years old anyway. Nice black nylon blocks fitted to the hold down should permanently solve this one.

5. The wiper ferrules were only hand tight

6. There was an unconnected vacuum line laying on the intake manifold

7. The vacuum line from the carb plate to the distributor was too large for the fittings and leaking at each end

8. Both seats needed to be re-mounted. When I was done I had a pound of extra hardware and a quarter sheet of plywood left over. The passenger seat alone took me almost 2 hours to remove, and I’m pretty good with tools. At least when it comes to taking stuff apart.
Some previous owner had installed the seats with inch and a half long slotted wood screws put in from under the seat. Keep in mind that there is only about 2 inches space under the seat to the floor. HOW DID HE DO IT?

9. Finding all the above problems, I figured I’d better check the positive cable the length of the car. Beautiful perfect work. But, but, the ground cable was a piece of work of another sort. No tywraps anywhere and all connections made over painted surfaces. Nope, nope, nope, not metallic paint. Scraped, scotchbrited, joint compound, and voila, no more electrical problems. At all. Oh by the way, did I mention that when the car was delivered, the only two things electrical that worked were the starter and the ignition?

10. Map light wired permanently on, no switch anywhere.

11. The right rear caliper was assembled incorrectly

12. The right rear shock was assembled incorrectly with the coilover not seated on the top pivot and hitting the shock hard at the top. Wore about 1/8 inch off the outside diameter of the shock housing on one side. That hadda make a totally hideous noise. Nobody EVER noticed? Stuff on the left side was great.

13. Tire pressure was at 35-40. Previous owner told me to make sure to run about 35. Rear tire tread in center is a bit sketchy. Wonder what coulda caused that????

14. There was barely enough clearance between the turn signal stalk and the steering wheel to get your hand in.

15. Passenger door didn’t close completely and rattled badly

16. Pedals totally misaligned, brake about 3 inches above clutch and the loud pedal hit you low on the arch. Adjusted the positions of the brake and clutch and totally rebuilt the accelerator pedal, see below.

17. There was a very nice black leather upholstered panel fit in the driver’s foot well right next to the clutch pedal. Moved that sucker 4 inches to port!

18. Completely reworked the balance bar to adjust it, take out play, keep it from hitting the frame, and probably other stuff I just can’t remember. Oh yeah, doesn’t rattle any more either.

19. Cut, welded, made new pieces, and probably totally over-engineered the badly designed and mis-installed accelerator pedal.

I am sure that I could have bought a perfectly suitable one for far less than the value of the time I have in the one that came on the car. But sometimes ya just gotta.

20. Re-glued the carpet behind the seats and most of the weather stripping

21. Adjusted the trunk lid hinges

22. Replaced the missing hood bumpers

23. Adjusted the hood latches

24. Replaced the missing breather tube

25. Make a new carb gasket to replace the missing one

26. Made a cover for the fuel cell sending unit

27. Removed that nasty neutral switch

28. Added lots of wire ty’s and cable guarding. Re-routed lotsa wiring and ended up with yards and yards of spare wire left over.

29. Re-glued the tabs for the door panels

30. Added a gas pedal stop so as not to stress the carb linkage

31. Replace the loose and rattling oil filler cap that probably would have come off the first hard bump anyway

32. Haven’t figured out yet how to stop the clutch and brake pedals from rattling. I know, I know, just take ‘em apart and put new bushings and washers in right? Wrong. The bolts were put in from the wrong direction (nuts shoulda been there) and now they won’t come out without dropping all three master cylinders and the whole pedal assy. This WILL be a unique solution, when I figure it out, I am sure.

33. Both door latches were loose

34. The throttle cable was rubbing on the steering shaft, re-positioned and tied it down

35. Accelerator pedal had been mounted in the wrong position and wore a slot all the way thru the fitting thru the firewall. Replaced it and re-mounted the pedal

36. The ignition coil mount was loose and the coil was just rattling around, hanging from the wiring

37. Wiring in part was less than stellar. Other parts of it couldn’t be improved upon. I used lotsa wire loom covering and wire ty’s. Re-ran a bunch of the wiring to neaten it up and get it away from sharp metal edges. (Don’t know why this car didn’t burn to the ground in a past life.) Ended up with many many yards of removed wire on the floor and everything still works, or works now. Feel good enough about it to take it out of town. Or at least around the block..

38. Wiper blades set way below the windshield and totally loose. Both needed to be re-bent to line up with the windshield frame.

39. Gear shift lever waaay too long,

took about 6 inches off that puppy and got rid of the phallic gearshift knob

Oh Yeah, changed the steering wheel too

40. Reworked the cobbled windshield rod/mount/brace. I have no idea how some previous owner got it put together. Took me an hour and a half to get it apart what with the mismatched fasteners, cross threaded nuts on the brace rod, and stripped out screw heads. Made new pieces, re-threaded the rod, and traded in all fasteners for socket heads.

41. Added side pipe guards. Driver’s side went smooth as could be.

Passenger side wouldn’t go on. There was a full inch less room between the sidepipe and the body on the right side than the left side. Made up a 1 inch thick aluminum spacer, sidepipe mount extension, and a couple of new gaskets and now both sides are identical. Yeah, well, mirror images.

So my question: Is this normal when buying one of these cars, or did I just get one that looked fine but had lots of demons lurking under the skin? Are most used cobras sorted or full or surprises like I’ve encountered? Lots of these items I didn’t see at all when I gave the car the first look over, some not until I disassembled (like the rack). Both sad and scary that guys without the necessary skills are putting vehicles together and driving them on the road when they shouldn’t even be trying to change the wheels on their roller skates.

In spite of all the above I am pretty satisfied with the car mechanically, extremely pleased with the way it looks, and think that it came at a good price. (have already turned down an offer considerably more than I paid for it) There is a lot of work that is impeccably done (first owner?) and there is some that is as bad as can be imagined (second owner?). The immediately previous owner (looks like there have been lots of ‘em) was obviously not a car guy. Sadly I have not been able to trace the history of the car back past just a couple of years. NO idea what is inside that engine.

Yet to be done, change the windshield angle, eliminate the roll bar if the bodywork is not too expensive, fit the tonneau, side curtains, and top, add fog lites, and change to black exhaust.

Okay, that’s enough from me and thanx to both of you guys who actually made it all the way to the end of this. (those of you who skipped to here need not be ashamed) This is a great forum, I have enjoyed it immensely and learned an incredible amount in the process. Sorry that I have not been posting much, can’t seem to get out of the garage……
Old 09-03-2014, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As with any vehicle you purchase it all depends on the seller and his/her honesty. I have always kept every piece of paper and kept a ledger on every project I have ever done mostly for my needs, especially after owning them a while you forget what every single part was. When it comes time for maintenance the ledger and paper are worth what the car is in my opinion.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

I must say, 30 years in the business building and "repairing" Cobras yours is A typical to many we re-worked in my shop. It sounds like you have done a marvelous job on taking care of yours! Kudo's to you and your efforts to make it right! "Well done!"

Your experiences are exactly why myself and a few others tried to setup a free "inspection" service for new & old Cobra owners, Unfortunately we got "ran out of town" trying to implement a free and voluntary service like you preformed.

Well done "Indianamoon, well done!"
DV
Old 09-03-2014, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Not a car you want to buy unless you can get a thorough inspection on, first. Factory built cars are one thing. Home built cars are a completely different beast. At this point you are relying on the competence of the seller/builder. Anyone who has turned a number of wrenches can tell you, there are a lot of things to learn/know before building a car. Many details that manuals, as good as they may be, don't tell you or assume you should know.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

It sounds like the car is shaping up nicely. I hope you take this comment constructively - but I would see if I could slope the windshield back a little more. It would enhance the profile if laid back a little.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 8000 Slab Side series, 289 High Pro , Eight Stack EFI system ,TKO500
Not Ranked     

Wow, should have kicked a few more tires, maybe.
think your neighbors have too many kids.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Nice story about a build

Indianamoon. First off, how about a name or will Mooney be OK?
I am so gald you took the time to go through your car and see and fix the problems you found instead of just going for a drive. Nice machine work on some of the things. I liked your accell pedal. In the old days some of the guys used large soup spoons. This helped with a heal and toe driving.
Have a safe and enjoyable adventure. Welcome to the club for crazy people. Looking forward to more stories and trips. Rick L.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ole green ford

Raked the windshield back as much as I thought I could get without bodywork. That pic is before moving it. Looks better, not as much as I would have liked, but at least acceptable. Thanx for the comments. I am very happy with the car, would have probably bought it even if I had known of the problems, and will end up very well financially. The great thing about going thru it like I did, is that I know the car inside and out. Would recommend that anybody buying a used one do the same. Don't trust that the other guy did what is best. Maybe I should write up a checklist based on what I did and found for other potential buyers?

It is titled, licensed, and the alignment is scheduled. Then time for some miles. This is not a show car by any means. It shows some wear and tear, and is meant to be an every day driver if I so choose. Insured it as a regular car with no restrictions on usage or mileage.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In all my years dealing with people some would find all the problems with your car overwhelming and live with it as long as the car was running. Building a car starting with a bare frame usually that person will fuss with every detail.

I knew a guy once back in the 60's who never changed his engine oil amazingly the engine sounded really good. He saw nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
In all my years dealing with people some would find all the problems with your car overwhelming and live with it as long as the car was running. Building a car starting with a bare frame usually that person will fuss with every detail.

I knew a guy once back in the 60's who never changed his engine oil amazingly the engine sounded really good. He saw nothing wrong with that.
I changed the oil in a girls' car, who had not changed her oil. It took 15 minutes for the sludge to **** itself out the drain hole before the oil could get out. Really your choice.... I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited by *13*; 09-06-2014 at 04:40 AM..
Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE alum. frame, FFR carbonfiber body (under construction)
Not Ranked     

Thanks for sharing! Excellent wake - up call for anyone buying a used Cobra. Check list for inspecting a potential purchase an excellent idea. GO FOR IT!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

P.S. Regarding the aluminum spacer: has the difference in the coefficent of expansion (between aluminum and steel) caused any problems? My guess is "no" because steel fasteners expand less than the aluminum, keeping everything tight....?
Old 09-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is personal taste and preference but here goes anyway. If you rotated the steering wheel (assuming it is in the "straight ahead" position as pictured) 180 degrees, the spokes would provide additional purchase when driving (hands in the "10 & 2" oclock position). Then, to look real "racey" put a piece of tape around the top center of the steering wheel for (confirming steering wheel position) when things get "interesting".
Old 09-18-2014, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default First real drive. And more work needed

Got a couple of miles on the ole green Ford the past couple of days, and took it in for an alignment this afternoon.

1. Drives pretty nice but I gotta move the seat back. Was worried about the steering effort with the new quicker rack, so bolted the seat in a little forward, but the effort is easy enough that the seat WILL move all the way back now.

2. Alignment started out with the left side caster at -7.5 degrees and it never came in. They finally took a hard look at the car and it turns out the frame is bent. Front cross member is slightly tweaked, a gusset is wrinkled a bit, and the tube for the lower A arm bolt is bent back about 1/2". I think I can straighten it so it's good enough, will certainly give it a try before sending it to the frame shop. Last car I sent to the frame shop, I ended up making a new piece of frame and welding it in myself because they did such a bad job.

3. Charging is erratic.

4. I have a squeak somewhere

5. Seat needs more padding to keep my butt planted against the back of the seat. Find myself scooting forward all the time.

6. EVERYBODY notices this thing!!!

BTW steering wheel is mounted as it is because I have seen pics of the originals that way. And it leaves the spokes out of the way for 10 and 2 o'clock hand positions. Plus it turns out to be pretty easy to just grab that top spoke with the left hand when the right is stirring the gearshift, which is a total joy with that ultra shift gear shift lever. Haven't had this much fun since I sold my last TR-3
Old 09-18-2014, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Car in an accident

Indianamoon Hey Mooney This car has been smacked. Rack mount is cracked frame is bent. Did you buy this car as is? and how long ago was this?? Was the title as is?? THink you better have a talk with the seller and tell him what happened. If he is the original owner and didn't disclose the car was crashed, he has a big problem and you have a day in court. That creek noise could be the frame is crack and you can't see it. You sure can hear it.
Geting back to the alignment, what was the camber readings on the front and most important the thrust angle of the car. You could be dog walking down the road. This car is bent. You have done repairs already. You could feel free to send the old owner the bills and want partial or complete payment or goto court. Ask Jamo on the finer point of this. I am not a lawyer but know the car bussiness for better than 30+ years. You might want to goto a chassic shop and have this car frame check for trueness. Body may have to come off frame. Good luck. Rick L. Ps I believe it's against the law to not disclaim an accident of an auto or for the auto to have a salvage title. This applys in NJ
Old 09-18-2014, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default accident?

Yeah, I think that the car smacked something, but probably just the left front tire, and that probably not too hard. Wouldn't surprise me if tht is a replacement wheel though. Body shows no sign of being repaired and I don't see any other damage. Didn't even see this until the alignment guys pointed it out to me, and they worked on the car for about an hour and a half before they saw it. Rack I think was broken because of the way it was positioned in the car. I couldn't get the new one bolted up without making some spacers to move it out from the frame and away from the A-arms. According to the alignment people the thing looked pretty straight and the only thing that wouldn't come in was the left front caster, and it's close. Car seems to drive fine now, but I WILL get it fixed. Where everything on the alignment started didn't mean a thing as I found so many loose nuts and bolts on the car. Upper left A arm hardware was only finger tight. Spose that was affecting anything? LOL
Old 09-19-2014, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianamoon View Post
Got a couple of miles on the ole green Ford the past couple of days, and took it in for an alignment this afternoon.

3. Charging is erratic.

This could be a bad ground and since you have found many loose bolts, double check the connections at the alternator. If the main power wire comes loose it can really make a mess of things (as I know)

5. Seat needs more padding to keep my butt planted against the back of the seat. Find myself scooting forward all the time.

I've read that thin padding is a common complaint on B&B seats. You might check with some of the other owners on their site. I think a few of them have replaced them with other seats.

6. EVERYBODY notices this thing!!!

Yeah - it's hard to be inconspicuous in one of these.
Good luck with the frame tweaking.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thoughts after driving it a bit......

Got frame straightened this morning, not too expensive. Next project is getting rid of the roll bar so I can fit the top and tonneau.

1. Everybody stares at this thing. Some even go out of their way to get close to it. Guess if I were in the market this would be pretty much a babe magnet. Also, everybody says that this is the color a cobra oughta be. Yeah, I agree.

2. Glad I went with the quicker steering. Steers like a sports car now. Effort not bad at all. I even moved the seat all the way back last nite for pretty much straight arm driving. Ingress egress much better also. Little adjustment on the clutch pedal and it will be perfect. I like it!!

3. Everybody thinks you have a bottomless wallet when you have one of these. One quote to fill in and spot paint to remove roll bar holes was $2600 and the quote to fit the factory B&B top and B&B tonneau on my B&B cobra was in excess of $1500. Not to make new ones, just to fit them, not including putting in the studs, which the guy said I had to do. Front of the top is completely done, have new bows, needs only studs for the back. Tonneau just needs studs. And if I gotta put in the studs, what did he think I was getting for my $1500+? Guess I will do all of this myself.

4. Haven't gotten familiar enough with the car to wring it out at all, but the little bit of throttle that I have used sure makes it squirt forward nicely. Sounds loud to me, but the neighbors tell me it isn't. New exhaust is in the works anyway, it needs to be black.

5. Have driven it every day for the past week. What's wrong with this for a daily driver? Certainly no worse that any other sports car I have owned. Think that I will keep it for a while.

6. It is 75 degrees and sunny and I gotta work and it's killin me.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianamoon View Post
3. Everybody thinks you have a bottomless wallet when you have one of these. One quote to fill in and spot paint to remove roll bar holes was $2600 and the quote to fit the factory B&B top and B&B tonneau on my B&B cobra was in excess of $1500. Not to make new ones, just to fit them, not including putting in the studs, which the guy said I had to do. Front of the top is completely done, have new bows, needs only studs for the back. Tonneau just needs studs. And if I gotta put in the studs, what did he think I was getting for my $1500+? Guess I will do all of this myself.
That doesn't sound real high to me since you are talking about both a top and a tonneau. One thing he may have been thinking about is that you said the front of the top is fitted to the windshield bows. At least in comparison to fitting an ERA top, that is backwards. On my top I installed the lift-a-dots in the rear of the top to match the body. This is kind of a nerve-wracking task as each one has to be installed in the top to perfectly match the studs on the body. He can't screw one of them up and have a do-over. Then the rear bows must be tweaked to fit the profile of the top and if you have side curtains, to fit the rear of the side curtains frame. If you have side curtains he will have some tweaking to get them to fit the body and the windshield will have to be adjusted to match their front. Only when all of this was done did I pull the top to the front, marked it and glued it to the front bows. If when he gets to that point and the front of the top doesn't reach the windshield or is too loose at the windshield, he has a lot of additional work to do. Also, I think you said you had adjusted the windshield back some - no telling how that is going to all go together at this point.

And then after that he has to go through the nerve wracking job of installing each lift-a-dot on the tonneau to individually fit each stud on the body. It's quite a project, even for someone who does upholstery work for a living.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

DanEC: Not only is your car good looking, it sounds great! What type (brand) of mufflers are you using?