Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2014, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Why??

Why do I see so many small block builds? Nothing better than the sound of a big block in a Cobra.
Why do I see so many cars for sale with low miles? Are people just building them for the fun of the build? Or does an owner just get tired of driving the coolest hot rod ever designed?
Old 10-11-2014, 02:13 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

I consider weather a huge factor for low miles. And the fact that it isn't a car that a lot of us can just hop in and drive every day, a rough/brutal ride on a lot of daily commute routes, the smell of gas/no cats, 2 seats, no heat/ac, and again, questionable weather (no roof). It's a weekend car for the most part.

Many of use do small blocks because not only are they slightly lighter, but they make the same power cubic inch to cubic inch and dollar to dollar. If you want to do a big block, go ahead and do a big block.

Lastly, these topics have been beat to death. Look around.

Last edited by itstock; 10-11-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Old 10-11-2014, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I can understand both those answers. I don't plan on racing a car, just driving on our twisting Ozark roads. And kick some a** on the street. I just love the sound of a 427 or 428. To me that sound just fits the Cobra. Not taking anything away from all the other engine combos. Its just MHO.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I think another factor related to small block versus big block is availability. When I was first looking to build a cobra it was difficult finding a big block, while at the same time I was tripping over small blocks.

Regarding mileage, there are probably several factors that come into play. One factor may be that people find them to be less comfortable and more difficult to get in and out of than their daily driver. Weather tends to be a factor for some people, and still others really only wanted one to say that they heave one.

I drive mine as much as I can, it is a fun drive. It helps that my kids are out of the house, not a very practical family car...
Old 10-11-2014, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

To me, tops on a Cobra are like tits on a bull. So I can understand the weather issue. My thinking is that there are a lot of guys out there that just like building them. Drive them for a few months and start another build.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon View Post
Drive them for a few months and start another build.
No, most of the guys (but not all) that get rid of their Cobra, relatively quickly, do so because they find out that the Cobra is not what they thought it would be. They are a PITA car. You have to actually like a PITA car in order to be a long time Cobra owner. Big blocks are a bigger PITA than small blocks. The only difference between a big block and a small block is weight and sound. I have probably heard a million small blocks and they never sound like big blocks -- but there are tons of small blocks out there that weigh way less, and make way more power, than big blocks. And it's true, nice vintage 427/428 blocks are getting harder to find and they always cost more to build.
timsullivan likes this.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not all the models are big block cars.
Larry
Old 10-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No, most of the guys (but not all) that get rid of their Cobra, relatively quickly, do so because they find out that the Cobra is not what they thought it would be. They are a PITA car. You have to actually like a PITA car in order to be a long time Cobra owner. Big blocks are a bigger PITA than small blocks. The only difference between a big block and a small block is weight and sound. I have probably heard a million small blocks and they never sound like big blocks -- but there are tons of small blocks out there that weigh way less, and make way more power, than big blocks. And it's true, nice vintage 427/428 blocks are getting harder to find and they always cost more to build.
Well said.

I considered bailing out of my ownership in the 3rd year. But as I eliminated the 'pains' (there were more than a few) the car began growing on me. Now into the 21st year.

David
timsullivan and xb-60 like this.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why do you say they are a PITA patrickt?
Old 10-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
They are a nuisance to 1) build 2) register with the DMV 3) insure 4) they break down just sitting in the garage 5) you hurt after driving them for more than an hour 6) parts are hard to find 7) parts are ridiculously expensive 8) if you have to put the top up it takes half an hour 9) a dog's breath is hotter than the heater 10) they break down a lot 11) they break down all the time 12) they break down daily, and so on....
timsullivan likes this.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I think that it really comes down to costs. Small blocks are cheaper. Having said that, I am waiting on a stub axle replacement . Waiting when its perfect driving weather is a PITA. Having said that, I run a 427 bored to 468 and love it. Lots of power, incredible sound, scares cats, women, and small children. I have road in and drove both, but in some areas there is no substitute for cubic inches.

Phil
Old 10-11-2014, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm going to assume you do not own a Cobra at this time then patrickt.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:36 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
They are a nuisance to 1) build 2) register with the DMV 3) insure 4) they break down just sitting in the garage 5) you hurt after driving them for more than an hour 6) parts are hard to find 7) parts are ridiculously expensive 8) if you have to put the top up it takes half an hour 9) a dog's breath is hotter than the heater 10) they break down a lot 11) they break down all the time 12) they break down daily, and so on....
Great reasons to build a small block.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm going to assume you do not own a Cobra at this time then patrickt.
I've had ERA732 going on nine years now. At this very moment she's less than ten feet away from me.
timsullivan likes this.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Then why the hell are you complaining so much. Are you trying to discourage future car owners or something. Damn. I'm not worried about maintain a vehicle. If I can maintain a Vietnam era helicopter than a Cobra shouldn't be a problem. I guess some people may think that they can build something and its gonna be perfect from then on. They may not appreciate the journey just focusing on the ride.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Then why the hell are you complaining so much. Are you trying to discourage future car owners or something. Damn. I'm not worried about maintain a vehicle. If I can maintain a Vietnam era helicopter than a Cobra shouldn't be a problem. I guess some people may think that they can build something and its gonna be perfect from then on. They may not appreciate the journey just focusing on the ride.
If a Cobra is really for you, then no discouragement will ever get in the way or stop you. If it's not, then I'm doing you a huge favor.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Because he has "walked the walk." So have a lot of us. Below is my most recent endeavor to keep my car roadworthy.

Just this week I needed to find a replacement suspension part for the right side of my car. Between me and a Cobra builder who is good at 'networking', just one NOS part was located in the U.S. We bought it.

I also decided I'd replace the same component on the left side suspension. Again, just one NOS part was located in the U.S. We bought it. This 2nd part wasn't even located in the same area of the U.S. as the first part I bought.

Why are these parts so scarce? These donor parts for my car were previously "used". They had been sourced as donor parts for my car back in 1994, by the kit manufacturer. The donor vehicle for these two parts: a 1970 Galaxie. There may be more of these NOS parts available somewhere, but probably through someone who knows someone who MAY have one.

When each of these two newly purchased parts are received, they must be modified before fitted to my Cobra.

This website can provide a plethora of info for a new Cobra enthusiast. Your rebuttals come across in a somewhat inflammatory style.

David

Last edited by 601HP; 10-11-2014 at 05:54 PM..
Old 10-11-2014, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think we have a troll!
Larry
Jaydee likes this.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Well 25 yrs ..almost and I still I drive my car .When I first built it , every ball joint ,bushing , gasket seal ,was replaced .Close to 60000 miles and the chassis is all still original. The current interior is the third, all different. The current is more modern , but very comfortable.The seats are heated, and with a jacket and hoody even winter rides are ok.(I know , it's California).The soft takes a couple of minutes to erect.At one point this car was my car , and I commuted in it for a couple years.It's just a lekker car.....

Last edited by CHANMADD; 10-11-2014 at 07:11 PM..
Old 10-12-2014, 01:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I've had my Cobra on the road for 20 odd years - hasn't broken down once in that time - I don't know how many miles it's done as I never connected up the speedo but would guess at around 50 000 miles - had one flat when someone kicked the valve off the rim at a supermarket parking lot but it wasn't a big problem as the tyre only half deflated so could drive it to the nearest tyre shop to get the valve replaced.

The only problems I had where normal replacement parts - Spark plugs, battery, belts etc.

My wife built the motor for me and we both built the car on a tight budget.

So - why are your cars so unreliable if my economically built car is not? Although that might change now as I have a professionally built motor in it with home designed EFI. I am expecting major teething problems with this.

I agree with the comments regarding weather proofing as I try never to drive it in rain - but that's mainly because of traction issues and the risk of aquaplaning on the very wide and low loaded tyres. Also, in the strong South Easter winds that are common in Cape Town in summer, part of the route from my home sometimes has a 6' high cloud of beach sand blowing across the road that blasts you and the car from the side making it very unpleasant for the 10 or 15 seconds it takes to get through.

Last edited by Snake2998; 10-12-2014 at 01:19 AM..