21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

You know, my Lucas tri bulbs really do just fine... and they look cool during the day.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Maybe it's time for a "Definitive Headlight Comparo"?
I got Silvanias in my KMP but I don't know if they're the Silverstars mrmustang mentioned.
Whatever they are, they could be brighter.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Maybe it's time for a "Definitive Headlight Comparo"?
I got Silvanias in my KMP but I don't know if they're the Silverstars mrmustang mentioned.
Whatever they are, they could be brighter.
This will do the trick....

Old 10-16-2014, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

I installed a brake light controller.....when brakes are activated, both sets of taillights light. Doubles your light output. I can get the brand name of it if you want.
rodneym likes this.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=mrmustang;13****2]Sylvania makes a line called "SilverStar" that come in a sealed beam which is a bolt in replacement for your current set up. Try them, you'll love them.

These seal beams work great at night, just picked up a couple 1157 LED bulbs an amazing difference in brightness.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile Hella headlights

years ago I replaced my 1960 lights with Hella 7" bulbs. Thousands of miles driving at night with no problem. I changed the H4 style bulb from Halogen to Zeon to something new, I forget what they call it but It's bright. On high beam I can see the top of the trees.
You need to check your wire size for the higher amp drawn. And check to see if you have a relay on the lighting circuit to take the amp load off your light switch. I have a relay on both the high and low beam. I had to put one on the low beam last summer because I burn up another light switch on the way back from the London Cobra Show. Driving in the day with my lights on for 11 hours.
I run my lights all the time. I know it's a yellow car but I don't want anyone to say they could not see me!

I also installed the 1157 LED in my brake light and turn signal. You may have to change your flasher to one of the new electronic units to get the bulbs to blink. I had to leave the old 1157 in the front to get my rear signals to blink.
When I changed mine years ago I had to match the red LED to my red lens and yellow to yellow lens. LED technology may have changed that.
A little trouble but well worth the time and cost.

See ya on the road
Dwight

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-002395071
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I'm considering the LED bulbs in the link below. They're available in white, red and amber and I've seen two posts indicating they went with red and amber to match the lens color. The standard 1157 bulbs are "white", so why would I need to get the color LEDs? Seems like the white LED would be brighter.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ctor-lens/922/
Old 10-17-2014, 07:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Kevin:
Basic optics. Anything that changes the color of a light reduces the visible output. How much relies on a lot of factors.
If you want to be seen go with white. You're already reducing the visible light output with a red lens but no reason to go any further.
DonC
Old 10-17-2014, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC View Post
Kevin:
Basic optics. Anything that changes the color of a light reduces the visible output. How much relies on a lot of factors.
If you want to be seen go with white. You're already reducing the visible light output with a red lens but no reason to go any further.
DonC
Don,

My point exactly, but both posters indicated they went with the colored LEDs so was wondering why and if I'm missing something.

Kevin
Old 10-17-2014, 07:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
Don,

My point exactly, but both posters indicated they went with the colored LEDs so was wondering why and if I'm missing something.

Kevin
Kevin, buy the exact LEDs that I did and that are referenced in my LED thread. The color will be correct, and it will be almost as bright as normal car brake/tail lights. I'm assuming you have the little aluminum reflectors that ERA sells as well.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Patrick,

I have the dual round taillights, so not the same as yours. They do have reflectors built in, however.

Kevin
Old 10-17-2014, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I'm running Summit's H4 conversion set (http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...9250/overview/) - they claim they're 60% brighter than sealed beams and still street legal. I can't verify that, but I'm happy with them.

I have third, centre mounted brake lamp on my car. It's a 9" long strip of LEDs (9 in. Red LED Light Strip | Princess Auto) mounted to the bottom of my full width roll bar. It lights up pretty well and is much higher than the tail lamps, so more visible to vehicles behind.

I also have a pair of red reflectors, roughly 4" x 1" under the body that help trailing vehicles - as long as they have their headlights on!

Not done yet, but I'm going to pull the lenses off the tail lights and put foil tape on the black lamp bases. That should increase the amount of light going back through the lenses and improve visibility.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
Don,

Kevin
The increased light output of the LED bulbs tend to overwhelm the lens and a lot of white light comes through.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kevin, buy two of each possible kind, keep the ones you like, and just return the ones you don't. Dang... you've spent close to six figures on this car, I say go all-out on the bulbs.
Hrdayz likes this.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well Patrick,

That's similar to what I will do - don't need to buy a complete set of each but will try a white and red LED if this gets on my winter project list. I just thought I'd see if anyone has already done so - lot's of good experience and knowledge out here.

Kevin
Old 10-17-2014, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

This is what I used for headlights on my car and was very happy - classic looks, modern bulb:

Lucas PL700 - Pair of Headlamp Replacements

Make sure when you are done installing them, you correctly align them which also helps tremendously.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

As a final consideration, consider the following. I too, have the dual taillight setup and realize there's just not a lot of surface area, especially in a world full of inattentive high school girls or 80 year olds with lousy eyes. Although I spend
little time driving at night I would consider the LED brake light bulbs that pulse or rotate with brakes on. I've used them on my Harley and a couple sport bikes and they make a small light really pop. At the end of the day and you don't like them they're only $12-$15 a pop.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose930 View Post
This is what I used for headlights on my car and was very happy - classic looks, modern bulb:

Lucas PL700 - Pair of Headlamp Replacements

Make sure when you are done installing them, you correctly align them which also helps tremendously.
These look pretty slick - may give them a shot.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2014, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Searching
Not Ranked     

I am surprised no one has yet mentioned checking and upgrading your standard wiring to give a closer to 12 volt output at the light
by the time the voltage drops through the system from battery to switch and back to lights you are lucky to be hitting the bulb with 9 - 10 volts, re-wire the set up with additional relays and voila closer tyo 12 volt at the light less load on your swicth and wiring and MUCH brighter lights with NO CHANGES to visual stock look (except a couple of well hidden relays)
Daniel Stern did a great write up on this here..........

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

maybe that helps maybe not??
M@