• 3 Post By cycleguy55

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2014, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Importing 15 year old Cobra from US into Canada

Evening

I may be looking at a deal in the US at a 15 year old Cobra, that can meet requirements to cross the border, and be registered in Ontario. I am investigating with Transport Canada and the Border to find out exactly what papers are needed, but if any members have been thru this process and can share any advice/tips/information it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Old 10-23-2014, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

The best document you can have is the original certificate of title showing it was complete and registered / approved for street use at least 15 years ago. If you don't have that you have work to do. Take a deep breath, be patient and persistent and you can get it done.

The date on the title generally is not sufficient unless the title date (not vehicle model year) clearly shows the title was issued at least 15 years ago. In my case the vehicle had been re-titled at least a couple of times so the date didn't work. So, on to Plan B...

Plan B was to search Michigan's records for the original date of first registration in order to document the age. Unfortunately, Michigan records are purged and not searchable after 10 years (or so I was told). On to Plan C...

Information on the Michigan Secretary of State's (MSoS) Web site indicates the VIN issue date is coded into the VIN, but not how to decipher the coding. I was able to get a letter issued by MSoS explaining how the date was represented in the VIN. The Canada Border Services Agency, acting for Transport Canada, accepted that as proof the car met the 15 year test.

Advice:
a) If you have a situation like the one described above use the Internet to search and read as much as you can about what Transport Canada is looking for, what you might be able to get from the relevant jurisdiction and what you can provide.
b) Be prepared to pick up the phone and spend a lot of time being put on hold, handed off from one person to another, and chasing down the various contact information you get.
c) Explain as completely and concisely as you can to those you talk to exactly what you're trying to accomplish and what you need. Be factual and don't exaggerate anything - you're trying to get them to understand your plight and get them to support your cause.
d) Stay calm, no matter how frustrated you get. Keep in mind the people you're talking to are operating in large bureaucracies and are probably just as, perhaps even more, frustrated than you are.
e) Take notes - especially who you're talking to and when (date & time), their contact information, what they tell you and the contact information they provide.
f) Patience, persistence and thoroughness will prevail.
cdnus, SunDude and bobbybeige like this.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 10-23-2014 at 07:13 PM..
Old 10-23-2014, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks very much cycle guy...great info....I am checking another car in Canada tomorrow and may not have to worry if it checks out....but good info to know and thanks again

Mike
Old 10-28-2014, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #456
Not Ranked     

So, I'm correct in assuming that an MSO & current registration will not suffice?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybeige View Post
So, I'm correct in assuming that an MSO & current registration will not suffice?
Depends on how the car is titled in the seller's state.

If the car is titled as, say, a "1995 SPCN Cobra" or similar, then you should be fine. But if the car is titled as a "1965 Ford Cobra" or similar, then you might need additional documentation to prove the exact month and year the car was first completed. Some state DMVs can produce an official registration history which might do the trick.

As I understand it, an MSO is normally surrendered to a state DMV when the car is first registered/titled. It establishes the date the kit was produced/sold, but not when the car was finished/completed so would therefore be of little relevance.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My most recent experience at importing a car indicates Transport Canada / Canada Border Services Agency cares more THAT you have a title certificate than on WHAT it says - particularly when it comes to what the car is titled as. IOW, they essentially ignore "1995 SPCN Cobra" or, in my case, "1991 West Coast Cobra". I think they've been stung in the past by these descriptions on title certificates.

It seems they're now looking for some documentation as to "an official registration history" as SunDude pointed out. As we were unable to provide "an official registration history" for my car, what we used as a proxy was a combination of the VIN issued by Michigan (plate / decal affixed to the door jam), and a letter from the Michigan Secretary of State detailing how the last 6 digits of the VIN represented the VIN issue date. BTW, that was only accepted because Michigan doesn't issue VINs until the car has passed safety inspection.

BTW, I was told the VIN / letter combination would not have been accepted if it was possible for the VIN to have been issued prior to the car being completed (as apparently happens in some places - registration while the car is still under construction). In that case we would have needed to provide some other proof of completion to satisfy the 15 year test. Yikes - glad I dodged that bullet.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 10-28-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Old 10-29-2014, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #456
Not Ranked     

Well I don't want to jinx myself, but the current title (NJ) does have the car simply listed as 1994 RAC Cobra. Likely not gonna do. But the VIN was issued in Idaho, with one phone call to the DMV there I was able to get someone who told me that they do have records of title for that VIN and for a measly $14 fee they would send me a copy. I don't have the original owners contact info, so I hope what they send me will be enough to satisfy Transport Canada. Fingers crossed........
Old 10-29-2014, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybeige View Post
Well I don't want to jinx myself, but the current title (NJ) does have the car simply listed as 1994 RAC Cobra. Likely not gonna do. But the VIN was issued in Idaho, with one phone call to the DMV there I was able to get someone who told me that they do have records of title for that VIN and for a measly $14 fee they would send me a copy. I don't have the original owners contact info, so I hope what they send me will be enough to satisfy Transport Canada. Fingers crossed........
Based upon my experience and what you've described, it certainly sounds like the Idaho title record(s) s/b sufficient.