28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jamo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Walnut Shift Knob from C&G Woodcraft

I bought a new shift knob from C&G Woodcraft Welcome to C&G Woodcraft - Cabinet Markers so I thought you all might like to see it, since they had advertised on here and some had shown interest. I did not buy the plain walnut knob, but opted for the walnut burl. It's absolutely gorgeous. Exquisitely made. None of the pics that I took of it do justice, but here are two to give you an idea. I have the original Mustang lever with the two prong finger gate, 1/2 - 20 threads. The aluminum insert was an exact match to the placement of the original "Magic 8-Ball" knob that I have had on there for years. The little Cobra emblem is properly embedded down in the top, of high quality, and smoothly covered with poly -- you can not "feel" that it's there. The curvature of the knob itself feels as it should. This little gem is not cheap though. This one made from the burl set me back $110 plus shipping. The plain walnut is about twenty bucks cheaper. Not sure why I lived with the Magic 8-Ball knob for so long; I never liked the way they felt even on the pony cars.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-25-2016 at 11:28 AM..
Old 12-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Very nice touch.
Sweet look
Old 12-14-2014, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Patrict,
I want one. I tried to contact them several times without success.
Any suggestions?
Old 12-14-2014, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Never mind I just clicked on the site you listed. Thanks
Old 12-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Terminology

This was my old OEM type knob. We used to call them "Magic 8 Ball" knobs because it looked like the bottom of the little fortune telling Magic 8 Ball toys that we all had as kids (and that some of us still have on a shelf in our office). It's a two piece knob, with the silver metal portion being the locknut for the black knob. They cost about $15 and they're overpriced at that.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gonna get one, along with a 5.0 Pro short throw shifter for a Tremec 3550. Does anyone know the thread and diameter to accommodate the knob?
Old 12-14-2014, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft
Not Ranked     

Emailed them last month to get one for my new Backdraft with a Tremec
TKO 5. They said it would not fit. Would have been nice.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Snif, snif - now I want one. Peer pressure at work. What happened to ERA Chas? He used to help dampen down the urge for the fru fru stuff.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:51 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Snif, snif - now I want one. Peer pressure at work. What happened to ERA Chas? He used to help dampen down the urge for the fru fru stuff.
... and this shift knob goes beautifully with the Moto-Lita wheel. Chas would have to look up the word "burl" though, and we're not talking Burl Ives.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
... and this shift knob goes beautifully with the Moto-Lita wheel ...
The burl wood knob would go well with the moto-lita wheel. Like a Caraceni suit coat with Marinella tie. Now lose the Seersucker slacks with that fake T-bar lockout

Last edited by AL427SBF; 12-15-2014 at 05:54 AM..
Old 12-15-2014, 06:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
...that fake T-bar lockout
Whad'ya mean "fake?" It works perfectly -- it just doesn't do anything.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

While I'll probably stick with the original look (more on that later), I really like that Patrick. I also wish I had that Nardi wheel I had on the Butler that Freddie bought off me years ago...much better than the wheels we use now.

As to shifter knobs, I had the pleasure of stealing Davey Kirkham's all arruminum version of the standard knob right of the lathe after BSing Sammich into looking the other way. I don't even know if they made anymore...has the KK initials grooved into where the shift pattern would normally be. Somehow stealing it just made it more mucho goodo.

I always wore cargo pants to their open houses and just grabbed stuff off the shelves and walked around with clanking noises. I've got stuff on the shelf behind me that I don't even know WTF they are for...but they're in beautiful arruminum all the same.

All that being said, I'm glad that at your age you can still appreciate your knob enough to get it to be wood.
KevinW likes this.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjscharer View Post
Emailed them last month to get one for my new Backdraft with a Tremec
TKO 5. They said it would not fit. Would have been nice.
The transmission has no impact on the shift knob fit. The shift handle determines that. The stock BDR handled is a 1/2" - 20 thread so that knob would fit it fine.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
The transmission has no impact on the shift knob fit. The shift handle determines that. The stock BDR handled is a 1/2" - 20 thread so that knob would fit it fine.
FWIW, I have a TKO600 in the car, I just have the old Mustang lever with the finger lockout on it because it looks cool. You can bolt up any lever you want to your Tremec -- it's just two holes, nothing fancy.